MotoGP Country Allocation

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How is this determined?

I mean, wtf Spain has 3 MotoGP a year, you could almost say 4 if you include the Portuguese round (also on the Iberian peninsula).

I know the Spanish meetings get huge crowds, there were over 120,000 people at Jerez on Sunday but is it purely economics driven?

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
I think your on to the underlying cause $$$$. That is cloaked in fan interest, Facilites (both racing and fan accomdation) and Guarantees to DORNA. All of which wich goes back $$$$. The Spanish have built great facilites that fans flock to and I am sure they offer very nice guarantees becuase of that. Consistently pleasant weather doesn't hurt either.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Am pretty sure that Dorna is also a Spanish owned company as well! That might also explain the 3 Spanish GP's a year! But they do get massive crowds

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it also comes down to quality circuits & the ability to hold a world championship event.
Spain has numerous circuits which are up to MotoGP standards as does Italy. They usually get around it by staging a Spanish GP & a European GP. Italy on the other hand has the Italian GP at Mugello & the Republic Of San Marino GP at Misano.
Having multiple tracks with safe run off areas suitable for modern day bikes & high speeds is a must. Thats why Japan can no longer hold a GP at Suzuka.......... to many walls close to the track & several riders had to learn the hard way before they scrapped it. Particularly Dajira Katoh :(

It certainly pays for Dorna to host more GPs in Europe due to the close proximity from country to country which wouldn't hurt spectator numbers either.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dunno's on it, quality tracks. We have a zillion fun tracks in the US but only a handful that can accommodate a World Class event.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am just super happy that we get a Moto GP round in Australia....and just quietly, Phillip Island is awesome!

:rockon: