Drilling out the baffles ... Guide

Yamaha566

Reaction score
Visit site
First off ... I did drill out the baffles, and I am quite happy about the sound. Note the sound isn't LOUDER, its a deeper pitch.

1. Masonry 1/2 Drill bit ... Lowes = $11.97 (The length of the drill bit is irrelevant just needs to reach the baffles, I bought a 12 inch and was quite comfortable ... had a few extra inches to play with)

2. I felt as though I should take the exhaust off, I wasn't sure about getting the metal chips into the engine, so if anyone would like help on how to reach the exhaust let me know, I will post a guide.

3. Clamp, or ask someone to hold the entire exhaust, and proceed to drill into the very back until you feel the bit break through, you've reached as far as you need to go.

4. Enjoy the sound, its not anywhere near aftermarket ... but its a hell of a lot cheaper

robbijer

Reaction score
Visit site
Right on I have thought about doing that. If you could you should put up a you tube vid some time.

CZAR357

Reaction score
Visit site
Why would you want to?? Ill wait until I have enough money to splurge on a new exhaust system thank you very much.

jrf

Reaction score
Visit site
Why would you want to?? Ill wait until I have enough money to splurge on a new exhaust system thank you very much.

Because waiting around while you save up the $700 or so could take quite a long time especially right now with the economy in the toilet

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone considered taking the muffler to a shop and having them gut it out and put bigger tips on it? I'd like a better tone and slightly more volume out of my exhaust, but not something loud enough that it makes me deaf after 20 minutes on the highway...

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Has anyone considered taking the muffler to a shop and having them gut it out and put bigger tips on it? I'd like a better tone and slightly more volume out of my exhaust, but not something loud enough that it makes me deaf after 20 minutes on the highway...

A few have opened their exhausts and cut out all the baffles and then re-weld it back together.

IMHO it's a lot of work (this method) for very minimal gain.

allaboutatv

Reaction score
Visit site
i would like to do this with mine, can you post some pics so i can have a btter idea of where to drill to hit the baffles? any info would be much appreciated

mlevins77

Needs beer
Reaction score
Visit site

mlevins77

Needs beer
Reaction score
Visit site

mlevins77

Needs beer
Reaction score
Visit site
i like the sound, but where are the baffles?

They are the part of the exhaust, inside the muffler, that creates back pressure to the engine while also reducing the noise that comes out of the bike. If you look directly down one of the tailpipes you will see metal...that is one of the baffle walls.

Google muffler design and look at other baffle designs. Once you've done that look back at the other post I linked to that has the gutted exhaust and you'll be able to understand better where the baffles are on the FZ6 Exhaust.

Hope this helped.

allaboutatv

Reaction score
Visit site
ahh i appreciate the help, i know what baffles are as i have been around motorsports all of my life, but on all my previous quads and dirtbiks the baffles had been tack welded right on the outside so i just had to cut the tacks and pull them out. i just got my fz6 2 months ago with no previous streetbike experience so i am trying to learn as much as possible! thanks for the info!

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used a 3/8ths metal bit. I got two holes in each side and then reamed out the rest. I left it on the bike the shavings won't get past the catalytic converter.