Textile Jackets - Reviews and Suggestions

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As the title states.. I am in the market for a textile jacket.. after ridding in like 85 degree heat the other day, i know that the leather jacket is just really not going to cut it for long hot days.. so any advise or suggestions.. was looking at the alpinestars t-breeze air-flo jacket.... thanks...:thumbup:

Damnitsjeff

Yumma Dum Dum
Reaction score
Visit site
I also am in the market for a mesh jacket and pants for the summer. I just bought a A-star Drystar Sigma Jacket. Really enjoying it but it is more for a cooler climate riding. I bought it for it's water repelling capabilities. Here is a website that has an extensive collection of gear. Priced like most other sites can be cheap on a few things good luck with your search.

Get Your Motorcycle Accessories , Motorcycle Helmets , and Motorcross GEAR at The Iron Pony!

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
LE, I would suggest perforated leather over textile any day. I had a textile jacket before my last two perforated leather jackets and even with all the vents open, it was still an oven. On the contrary, the perforated leather not only keeps you MUCH cooler, but also much more protected. I also had a mesh jacket for a while, but stopped wearing mesh after seeing what it can do to you in a get off. Sometimes the mesh can act like a cheese grater and permanently imprint the mesh pattern on your skin. Not say it ALWAYS will...but I'm not taking any chances.

CooperFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up some Tourmaster pants and jacket. I can't recall the model, but, they are 3 way - i.e. there are liners and covers that can all be pulled off right down to the mesh. It's supposed to rain resistant too, but, I'm not so sure about that claim.

So far, it's been great. I've had all the stuff together and rode in 8 C temps and was very comfortable. Yesterday, I pulled everything off down to the mesh and rode in 25 C and was very comfortable. Of course, it's got all the padding etc.

The only drawback is there are so many zippers and velcro, it's hard to figure out how to put it all together, and, the damn velcro sticks everywhere. Sometimes it's like wearing a straight jacket until you get everything zipped, buttoned and pressed together!

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up some Tourmaster pants and jacket. I can't recall the model, but, they are 3 way - i.e. there are liners and covers that can all be pulled off right down to the mesh. It's supposed to rain resistant too, but, I'm not so sure about that claim.

So far, it's been great. I've had all the stuff together and rode in 8 C temps and was very comfortable. Yesterday, I pulled everything off down to the mesh and rode in 25 C and was very comfortable. Of course, it's got all the padding etc.

The only drawback is there are so many zippers and velcro, it's hard to figure out how to put it all together, and, the damn velcro sticks everywhere. Sometimes it's like wearing a straight jacket until you get everything zipped, buttoned and pressed together!

I believe we have the same pants then.. and yea, they rock...and yes, the velcro blows, but i can live with it.. the pants work great without the linners and jeans for temps.. I would have to see what model i have when i get home... :thumbup:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LE, I would suggest perforated leather over textile any day. I had a textile jacket before my last two perforated leather jackets and even with all the vents open, it was still an oven. On the contrary, the perforated leather not only keeps you MUCH cooler, but also much more protected. I also had a mesh jacket for a while, but stopped wearing mesh after seeing what it can do to you in a get off. Sometimes the mesh can act like a cheese grater and permanently imprint the mesh pattern on your skin. Not say it ALWAYS will...but I'm not taking any chances.

well.. i really liked the mesh tourmaster over pants i got.. but i do wear jeans under them.. don't want to wear a jean jacket under a mesh jacket.. that would just look stupid.. but i hear ya on the mesh jackets.. I just thought it would be a bit cooler than a full on leather, but i suppose im not against a perf. leather jacket, any suggestions?? i do like my a-star non-perf jacket, so i asume i would like a perf one too.. thanks for the tips :thumbup:

dimitre977

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the Joe Rocket Alter Ego Jacket last year when I got my bike. It has panels that zip off on the sleeves just above the elbows with mesh and a large panel that zips off leaving most of the chest and half of the back mesh. I have worn this jacket in temps from mids 90 F to 45 F (with a vest underneath). When you are sitting around town the jacket can be warm but once you are moving (even at low speeds) it vents really good. This jacket works good for me because I work 12 hour shifts and temps can vary a lot from when I get to work to when I go home and it takes me less than 5 minutes to change the jacket from one mode to the other now that I have done it a few times. It has a zip-in waterproof liner that I have used once and it does its job. If I ever need to replace the jacket I would buy the same jacket again or at least something similar.

PAJeep

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been happy with both the Fieldsheer summer Jackets I have owned. The Titanium Air and the Mach 4. Both comfortable and great in warm weather.

If you are looking for a great pair of summer pants check out the Alpinestar Air-Flo Riding pants. Long zippers and you can put them over top of jeans or dress pants for work easily.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Despite the safety concerns if you will be sitting in traffic for any length of time mesh is really your only option. At speed it is a different story but if you have to stop you will melt in leather or textile.

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
i have an air mesh kevlar jacket from Kevlar Motorcycle Apparel - the Best in the World, i bought used, and it just feels more protective than any other jacket ive used (it also has the upgraded armor and all the optional liners). the kevlar fabric wont melt if you are sliding down the highway, and the armor covers a large part of your body.

motoport is not cheap, but my understanding is its the best protection you can get.

i plan to buy some air kevlar pants in the future, but in the meantime, i use Olympia airglide pants.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Despite the safety concerns if you will be sitting in traffic for any length of time mesh is really your only option. At speed it is a different story but if you have to stop you will melt in leather or textile.

i know what you mean, but no, i dont think this will be my commuting jacket.. ill still wear my leathers for work (i live 7 miles from work)...

this would be more for the summer touring type jacket.. no rain probably (never know though) and just something that i can use when its just to damn hot for leather.. i like the idea of perf leather, but after looking, yea.. i really dont have $400 to spend on a new jacket.. i might just suck it up untill ihave the cash, cuz i dunno if i want to just settle for something that my not protect me the way i want it to...

thanks for all the input guys.. gotta love gear threads :)

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
LE, I've had two perforated leather jackets and I didn't pay anywhere near $400 for them.

The first was a Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0 that I bought very lightly used on Craigslist for $125. That thing was amazing at flowing a ton of air, since it had perforations on both the front and back of the torso and on the arms.

The only reason I don't still have it is because I bought a Teknic Chicane perforated leather jacket on Ebay BRAND NEW for $55. Yes...$55. It's fully perforated on the front and has two zipper vents on the back and also flows a bunch of air. The arms aren't perforated, so it's just a bit warmer than the Sonic, but it fits me better and I feel very protected, and cool, in it.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a tourmaster intake jacket. It is the most comfortable in really hot weather. I know that mesh is a tradeoff, but we all choose our how much risk we are willing to take. As long as you land on the places where the jacket manufacture thinks you should land, then it is all good. If you land someplace else, its not so good.

I also have an Olympia Air Transition jacket. It is more protective (nylon mesh and courdra at impact points, but I think it is too hot above about 85 or so degrees. It has mesh panels but I don't think it vents on the arms enough.

I bought the Olympia jacket to replace the TM, but the TM is still my choice in really hot weather.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LE, I've had two perforated leather jackets and I didn't pay anywhere near $400 for them.

The first was a Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0 that I bought very lightly used on Craigslist for $125. That thing was amazing at flowing a ton of air, since it had perforations on both the front and back of the torso and on the arms.

The only reason I don't still have it is because I bought a Teknic Chicane perforated leather jacket on Ebay BRAND NEW for $55. Yes...$55. It's fully perforated on the front and has two zipper vents on the back and also flows a bunch of air. The arms aren't perforated, so it's just a bit warmer than the Sonic, but it fits me better and I feel very protected, and cool, in it.

Good to know... I just was leaning toward sticking with a-star gear because the gear i have bought from them rocks.. no issues what-so-ever... but teknic one would be a hard one to pass up for $55... I am going to take your advise and just look at leather.. besides... if it still isnt exactly what i want, then i can buy a textile jacket and just have 3 jackets :thumbup:... gotta figure out how to explain it to my better half :rolleyes:

CravenMoorhead

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought this jacket from my local Cyclegear when it was on sale for $99 plus a discount for my motorcycle safety course card. It fits me great XXL and stay's cool while riding up to about 90degrees here in s. FL. Zippers and material are good quality and the pads make me feel more safe but I removed the spine guard for comfort/heat control.

Cycle Gear - FRANK THOMAS: XTi Mesh Motorcycle Jacket, BLACK

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an Arlen Ness black mesh jacket with shoulder and elbow armour and a back protector. It has 4 zip pockets on the outside, one inside and a cell phone pocket inside as well. It also has reflective white piping down the sleeves.

I can't see what the model is and I have looked online without success.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
A late comment here, I was just read back on some posts...

I have a Yamaha Freeride textile jacket (yes, I know it's an off-road jacket). I have used it a lot and it is excellent..very comfortable, lots of pockets and zips, nice pinstriping, very good in warm weather. You can wear it over fleece for colder weather. Gloves fit comfortably over the wrists. I am looking for leather for colder rides but really this one jacket has proven itself for me time and again. I wear it with Alpinestars street cargo pants which are also really good though warm.

ender

ohfive
Reaction score
Visit site
I can recommend the Alpinestars ACR Airflow textile jacket. :thumbup:
But my next jacket will be perforated leather.

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
I gotta say the best jacket imho is an Aerostich Darien. found here I have owned one for 6 years and its still as bright yellow as I can remember and it doesnt show ANY signs of wear yet. Its completely waterproof and keeps me bearable in the florida heat. Being yellow, I notice more drivers notice me and it reflects a majority of the light and heat back so I dont heat up nearly as much as someone in a dark colored jacket. The only vents it has are the armpit and back unzip vents but I find that if I dont zip the cuffs up to be tight around my wrists I get nice flow throughout the jacket. couple that with all three vents open and have the zipper down a little on the fron and I use it year-round. In fact, last monday I was riding back to home from visiting my father and I got caught is a standard surprise absolute downpour on the freeway that was so bad I couldnt see 10 ft in front of me so I took the next reststop exit and waited. I was in the downpour for about 20 minutes before I got shelter and the only wetness I got was a little bit around the collar of my t-shirt and that was with armpit vents open. pair the jacket up with their pants you have an extremely nice riding setup. They also do make a two-piece suit that zips together called the Roadcrafter that can get slider puck velcro installed if you want waterproof hooligan-gear. personally I would look for a jacket that will get used more than summer just because you have to pay a bunch of money for em. I found a set that can really do all 4 seasons with summer being its weakest one. Ill sweat a tad and keep my aerostich gear because its so nice and their customer service is fantastic.