ear plug opinion

crabby117

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't know if this has been covered before, but I just thought I'd offer my opinion. I took my first long-distance trip this past weekend and I tried ear plugs. Some people like 'em, some don't.

I liked their effect. I have to compare the effect to reading a book in a quiet room vs. in a room with lots of ambient noise. I can concentrate on the book better when the room is quiet and retain what I've read. The ear plugs actually made me MORE focused on the ride and seemed to sharpen the input I got from my other senses if that makes any sense. I don't plan on wearing them day-to-day, but on long rides, I'll continue to use them. Just my $.02.

Jake

Reaction score
Visit site
I started riding without ear plugs. When I began using them it took a little getting used to the quietness; made me want to sleep. Once the initial psychological adjustment was done it was much better. I can't stand riding without them now. Much easier to concentrate and much better for the hearing longevity.

10cate

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone have a particular style they prefer. I've had my fz6 for 3 months now and have been experimenting with different types. Still searching for the perfect pair. Can't stand the ringing in my ears after long rides.

Last edited:

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Anyone have a particular style they prefer. I've had my fz6 for 3 months now and have been experimenting with different types. Still searching for the perfect pair. Can't stand the ringing in my ears after long rides.

I just use the ones from CVS...but you can get some from the moto dealers too...sometimes they'll just give them to you.

Also, at MotoGP they have custom fit ones you can get for around $20. I'm going to give those a try this July!

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone have a particular style they prefer. I've had my fz6 for 3 months now and have been experimenting with different types. I don't believe my concentration or awareness would be any different with or without, but I want to protect my hearing.

Silent ear from the earplug superstore, or anywhere else that sells them.

From myself at an earlier time:

Do yourself a favor and just get these:

13ephsetecb.gif

The ones they send out now actually look like this (at least the ones I got):

silentearclear.jpg

They're called Silent Ear. Buy the trial pack that has the 3 sizes. I use the smallest ones. The medium and large ones are pretty big.

It says this on the manufacturers website:

When I read this after using them, I was kind of surprised, since when I have them in I can have a conversation with someone almost normally. To me, they really block out mainly the harmful frequencies, while keeping everything else at a pleasant level.

They're reuseable. Just wipe em off when you take them out. The fit down into your ear, with just the 3 little flap things out of your canal so you can get them out. They're comfortable. They really knock down any sort of wind noise. I have also had no problems with them coming off while taking on or off my helmet.

They also come with the nifty carrying tube thing.

You'll spend less than $25 or something to you door for the 3 different sizes pack, and you shouldn't have to buy any earplugs for a long long time. I've used mine since like April and they're like brand new.

They are SOOO much better than foam earplugs, and if I would have known about how easy and how well these things work, I would have bought some a long time ago.

Your results may vary.

I got them from here:

If you haven't tried SilentEar, you haven't tried the best.<br><font size="2">SilentEar (NRR 32) is the Highest Rated Reusable Ear Plug currently made anywhere in the world!</font> - Snoring Relief Ear Plugs

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
I hate ear plugs. Love the effect, but I have very small ears and they always bother me. I do ride with earphones sometimes though, and the ones I have are noise-cancelling, so they have a plug-like effect. I do enjoy that.

hiway

Reaction score
Visit site
I've always used the cheapo yellow foamies while flying and associate their use with helmets. So it's never been an issue to me. I guess a more technical assessment would have to be done to see how many decibles of noise you get with the helmet you use and go from there.

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
I have always ridin with Earplugs and I really love wareing them when I'm on the bike for any period of time . that being said I have a pair of the custom fited ones that come around with the motorcycle show every year and I love them they fit in you ears like they are a part of your body because they are molded from your own ears . they to cost a couple bucks like 50 if I recall correctly but they are so worth it .

Burnspot

Reaction score
www.burningfiles.com
I find ear plugs significantly cut down on the fatigue levels when I'm out for hours on end. I just stick with the foam plugs...think I bought a huge box of them at Lowe's on sale a few years ago. Coming from a military background working on jets, foam plugs are kinda second nature and don't bother me in the slightest. When my wife rides 2up with me, she tends to start falling asleep with plugs in...so she rarely uses them.

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Well fellow riders don't worry. Here is top of the line earplugs for very little money on amazon.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-High-Fidelity-Earplugs-White/dp/B0015WNZ9K/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1240863018&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Etymotic Research ER20 High-Fidelity Earplugs (White with Clear Stem): Electronics[/ame]

It's made by a company called Etymotic research and they make the best of the best plugs on the market. I bought these and I will not ride with out them.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
The best for 10 bucks??

The best are custom molded earplugs with speakers. Can be had from Big Ear or I use Challenger M series from the ear plug store. Had mine a few years and love em' but I'd better at $200 a pair

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Always wear 'em if I'll be going over 30 mph. Howard Leight, or something like that. They are a foam type that inserts. Without them, my ears will ring after a 30 min highway ride. If you're getting ringing ears, you are flirting with permanent hearing loss. Whenever I think of if earplugs are convenienent or not, I recall my late grandfather who was fairly deaf near the end. We couldn't really have a conversation with him because he couldn't hear us, and eventually he became sort of like a piece of furniture in the room, with all the conversation swirling around him, but him not participating in it. He missed out on so much. You really wouldn't want to get to that state sooner than necessary.