How to... clean your back wheel

mattlaw

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, 80% of my bike is beutifully clean and has had a recent polish but my back wheel and chain cover is really dirty. Obviously I don't want to be cleaning it with the same sponges/brushes that I use for the rest of my bike so how do I clean it? any tips, ideas or methods are much appreciated.
Thanks.... Matt.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
i use WD40. A great cleaner but a horrible lubricant. I also use it on my chain. it removes grime awesome. i also havent seen any adverse effects on the rims finish.

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
I use Simple Green and just spray it down before washing the bike. Then just scrub it last with a rag, gives the chemical time to eat away the grease and everything just wipes off.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use Miracle Wash sold by amsoil. It is a waterless wash, my dad has a customer with a 07 R6 and that is all he uses on the body no water soap etc... looks just like it did on the show room, I personally am not that brave on the body of my bike, however I love it on my wheels, just spray it on let it turn to a milky looking substance (starts out a foam) and then wipe with shop rags, leaves and awesome shine! not a wet look but a brand new look! Does attract slight dust!
BriteSide® Miracle Wash Waterless Wash and Polish (AMW)
amw_can_300pxh.jpg

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Most auto stores have a wheel brush. Works great for cleaning wheels, centerstand, swingarm and the like.
As with all cleaning spongers, rags, brushes, etc. dip often in your wash water to rinse out debris that could scratch your finish.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I clean the chain, wash the bike, lube the chain then clean the back wheel... i don't work too hard to try and clean off all the lube... it will need to be cleaned too soon anway.. i just make sure there is equal coverage of lube overspray on my rim so it is all equally shiny :thumbup:

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I have recently found out that if you use used dryer sheet it works great to clean both wheels. Don’t use brand new ones. It cleans my wheels without any water, lubing or whatever else people use. It works. This is all I use now to clean my wheels. Try it out.

Jake

Reaction score
Visit site
I have recently found out that if you use used dryer sheet it works great to clean both wheels. Don’t use brand new ones.

Very interesting, I'll have to give it a shot :thumbup:

I'm sure it's less mess than WD40 and I'll bet it leaves the rear smelling like a field of daisies in summer bloom. How is it on static cling?

Morph

Reaction score
Visit site
I just use some gas on cloth and clean back wheel. After that just wash whole bike. I am dooing that for 3 years and everything OK.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Hello all, 80% of my bike is beutifully clean and has had a recent polish but my back wheel and chain cover is really dirty. Obviously I don't want to be cleaning it with the same sponges/brushes that I use for the rest of my bike so how do I clean it? any tips, ideas or methods are much appreciated.
Thanks.... Matt.

My favorite is liquid car wax. Pour a puddle into a rag, and wet the crud on the rim with it, then wipe it all up. Not much rubbing involved, and it cleans it all off. Even leaves some of the wax on the rim to protect it for next time.

Toss the rag when you're done. You can use paper towels instead.