FZ6 Cup spec streetfighter!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok folks, i have just taken the upper fairing, tank, front fender, and rear seat unit, off my FZ6 Cup bike, "Pinky", to get a few bit's of fibreglass mended, and to get them resprayed yellow.

As a result, it makes it pretty hard for me to get in track time on the bike, with none of the above on the bike!!!1 then i got to thinking, why cant i...i have all the road gear for pinky, and i have a spare tank, why not put her back together in a semi temporary state, with the use of the spare tank, some of the road gear i have for her, but without removing any of the FZ6 Cup spec suspension, handle bars, steering damper, PCIII, and the GYTR race pipe.

Also, if i put lights, indicators, brake light, number plate holder, mirrors, on the bike, maybe i could get some time on her on the road as well......Hmmmm!

So i invited my spanner man, Gazza, round for dinner tonight...and we got to pulling Pinky apart and putting her back together again...

We had to put the OEM seat, tail piece....with a bit of modification to make it work with the single GYTR pipe, and this bit is still a work in progres, see below...

We also had to get a number plate holder and something to hang some rear indicators off....so we modified an old FE i had sitting around...was pretty easy....

We had to put the left hand switch block on, and re-route wires...which required removal of the battery, and the whole airbox!

We had to grab the fuel pump, and petrol cap out of the pink tank, and put it in my old orange tank.

Then fit the headlight...which we found out is impossible with the Clip-on handle bars, so as a rsult, the bike has no front light at this point...will have to get an aftermarket one...and go "real" streetfighter...am thinking, twin headlight in chrome, or stainless will do the gig.

I also chucked some old aftermarket mirrors i had lying about on, and threw the passenger footrests, and side stand back on, for road use.

So at the moment, the bike needs a headlight, front indicators, the front fender painted black, and some black steel mesh moulded around the single GYTR pipe, to make it look a little better, than the gaping whole that surrounds it at the moment.

Now all this took about 5 hours to do, and we reckon, it will take half that time to put the bike back to full track detail, once we get the panels back from paint.

So far it has not cost me a single penny, and the only money i can envisage spending at this point, is on a headlight unit, and mounts...e-bay, here i come!

I know have a bike, with the high spec ohlins rear shock, steering damper, ohlins fork internals, braided lines, clip-ons, super sticky track tyres, that should be an absolute hoot in the twisties, whilst still being able to run it at the track, pretty much exactly the same as it felt in full track mode....

Here's some pics...

Photo one...before we took her to bits!
View attachment 15524

Photo two...After!!!!
View attachment 15526

Photo three, note the gaping whole around the pipes...and the modified rear tail unit, exhaust surround!
View attachment 15526

Photo four...the view from the bridge!
View attachment 15527

Photo five...need a headlight!
View attachment 15528

Photo Six...gaping hole from the left! Black steel mesh, is the hot tip to fil the void, and tidy up the rear.
View attachment 15529

Photo seven...gaping hole from the right side!
View attachment 15530

Photo eight....need some lights & indicators!
View attachment 15531

:rockon:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I am confused, what's the purpose of all this again? Why are you re-painting and making pinky streetlegal and dumping more $$ into a perfectly nice trackbike, knowing that you have a perfectly fine streetbike? It's a trackbike who cares? :confused:

(sorry if I missed another thread explaining all of this...)

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
THATS AWESOME DUDE!!!!:thumbup: It's a chopper now!! well I mean in the sense that she only has the bare necessity's to make it street legal.:D What a great idea!:thumbup: :rockon: P.S. you bought the bike to have fun with,and that includes anyway you see fit derive fun from pinky.she's your bike, enjoy yourself.I have tore my bikes down several times and re-built them back different everytime,just to enjoy the build.

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am confused, what's the purpose of all this again? Why are you re-painting and making pinky streetlegal and dumping more $$ into a perfectly nice trackbike, knowing that you have a perfectly fine streetbike? It's a trackbike who cares? :confused:

(sorry if I missed another thread explaining all of this...)

Well, when we got home from the track on Saturday, and opened the trailer, we found pinky had fallen over in the back of the trailer...not completely, but she was "listing"...upon first inspection, there seemed to be no damage...well last night, i found that the front upper fairing had been snapped completely in two, just past the right hand side frame mount....stuffed! And i have a track day this Saturday....

Rather than do a quick Fibreglass patch, and get back out there...i decided that this was a good time to take all the pink stuff off and get it painted...but still wanted to go to the track....

So it need a tank, seat unit, etc, etc...so why nort use the spares i have...put all the old stuff off my other bike on pinky, and all the new stuff, seat, rear tail unit, brake ight housing, etc, on my streetbike.

This way, if i drop the bike at the track, i wont be too unhappy if siad bits get damaged, and in the meantime, by putting the lights, etc, on the bike, i can get a bit more time on the bike in the twisties that i live amongst...give me more of a chance to get used to the riding position, and learn about the adjustment of the suspension, etc.

I plan to enter the final 2 rounds of the FZ6 cup this year...and i have lots of learning about the bike to do...i need as much time on it as possible, it is a very different ride to my other bike.

I know, the road is a lot lot lot different to the track, but why not do it, it's all time in the saddle...plus the other bike is off the road at the moment, as i am doing stuff to that....out of neccesity.

It's only for a few week's, and the bike will go back to full race spec just as soon as i get the panels back from paint....

:thumbup:

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I still think it should have stayed pink. It has a legacy...now nobody will know - it'll be just another tricked out sportbike to the casual looker and probably a lot at trackdays...although they won't know what hit em ;). Still should have been pink.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I still think it should have stayed pink. It has a legacy...now nobody will know - it'll be just another tricked out sportbike to the casual looker and probably a lot at trackdays...although they won't know what hit em ;). Still should have been pink.

I like the pink...i do, but the paint was in pretty crap condition, there was cracks in the fibreglass, etc, etc...plus i wanted to make it my bike...

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
I don't know the history on Pinky (like to hear it some time), but when I first joined the forum and saw that awesome naked Fazer and Pinky together I thought, "How cool is that, one for the street, one for the track."

It looks like you plan to return Pinky to her former glory after the repairs. I do hope that is the case :D.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It looks like you plan to return Pinky to her former glory after the repairs. I do hope that is the case :D.

Most definitely, straightback to race spec as soon as possible...that will look great in it's new colours, and it IS why i bought the thing!...we are just tinkering about, and having a bit of fun...cause we can, and it's a good laugh....beats the heck outta watching TV!

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So when are we going for a ride?...lol.:rockon::rockon::rockon: If you look in your mirrors I'll be the guy with both hands on the throttle, wringing it's neck to keep up...LMAO:D

Great way to spend time on the bike for bonding purposes. It's easy to see this bike isn't your regular ride...once you take ownership of it, your times should plummet.

Cheers
Mike

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Most definitely, straightback to race spec as soon as possible...that will look great in it's new colours, and it IS why i bought the thing!...we are just tinkering about, and having a bit of fun...cause we can, and it's a good laugh....beats the heck outta watching TV!

Right on! Plus the more you tinker, the more fun you have and the more you learn :thumbup:.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, when we got home from the track on Saturday, and opened the trailer, we found pinky had fallen over in the back of the trailer...not completely, but she was "listing"...upon first inspection, there seemed to be no damage...well last night, i found that the front upper fairing had been snapped completely in two, just past the right hand side frame mount....stuffed! And i have a track day this Saturday....

Rather than do a quick Fibreglass patch, and get back out there...i decided that this was a good time to take all the pink stuff off and get it painted...but still wanted to go to the track....

So it need a tank, seat unit, etc, etc...so why nort use the spares i have...put all the old stuff off my other bike on pinky, and all the new stuff, seat, rear tail unit, brake ight housing, etc, on my streetbike.

This way, if i drop the bike at the track, i wont be too unhappy if siad bits get damaged, and in the meantime, by putting the lights, etc, on the bike, i can get a bit more time on the bike in the twisties that i live amongst...give me more of a chance to get used to the riding position, and learn about the adjustment of the suspension, etc.

I plan to enter the final 2 rounds of the FZ6 cup this year...and i have lots of learning about the bike to do...i need as much time on it as possible, it is a very different ride to my other bike.

I know, the road is a lot lot lot different to the track, but why not do it, it's all time in the saddle...plus the other bike is off the road at the moment, as i am doing stuff to that....out of neccesity.

It's only for a few week's, and the bike will go back to full race spec just as soon as i get the panels back from paint....

Ahhh well that makes sense :) Personally I would have fixed the front fairing, or I would have taken it off the bike all together for the trackday on Saturday, but I understand what you're doing, and you're probably having fun in the process too, so :thumbup::rockon:

Let us know how it goes on Sat!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's the headlight i am getting to put on the bike, whilst it is on the road...i like the oldschool look...Am also getting the mounting kit shown in the photo below.

GSGDualHeadlights.jpg

:rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Got my new headlight yesterday...sorted out all the wiring, just gotta get it mounted onto the bike in the morning....cant wait...pity it's raining cats & dogs...dont reckon super soft track rubber that has had 4 heat cycles would like the rain much...but i will have the track bike on the road today!

:rockon::spank::cheer::rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, today whilst watching the Moto GP, we finished off the little project we have undertaken to transform "pinky", the pink FZ6 Cup bike, into "Oinky" for a few weeks, whilst pinky's race fairing's are being mended, and painted, along with the tank...

Managed to get hold of a headlight, including mounting hardware, just like i wanted, from a mate...awesome!

Took a bit of stuffing around to fit, but we got it done pretty well in the end...solid as a rock, all electrics working, using the OEM wiring loom...

We also put the small screen i already have on the bike, to give me something to hide behind, down the straights at the track....with the clip-ons being set so low, you really can get right own behind it.

Was supposed to take the bike to the track yesterday to test this, but the ride day got rained out!

Incidentally, in the photo's below, the bike has all it's road gear on...but for the track, the FE is able to be removed in about 1 minute, by unscrewing 4 bolts...nice!

Would leave the light unit, and front "cheapy" (had them lying around...originally cost about $25) indicators, on the bike for the track, whilst front upper race fairing is in being mended, and painted.

As i think i have mentioned before, all the FZ6 Cup spec running gear (suspension, brake lines, power commander, rearsets, steering damper, clip-ons, GYTR single exhaust can) has been left on the bike...

When the body panels & tank come back painted, it should take us about 3 hours to convert bike back to a pure track bike.

Best thing is, it has not cost me a penny to do, other than a few nuts & bolts!

Here's some photo's of the completed "project".
View attachment 15701

View attachment 15702

View attachment 15703

View attachment 15704

View attachment 15705

View attachment 15706

View attachment 15707

View attachment 15708

View attachment 15709

View attachment 15710

The first 7 photo's show the bike, with the Fly Screen attached, the last 3 photo's show the bike without the screen....i know what i reckon looks better, but i also know, which one is more practicle!

I think this bike is more of a true "Streetfighter" than my black bike will ever be....butchered tail piece to accomodate single pipe exhaust, roughly painted front fender, aftermarket headlights, the clip-ons...the race track refugee tyres, and the uprated running gear, which is sorta hidden...

Still have not riddeen it on the road yet....it has not stopped raining for the last 3 days!!!! and i aint riding on a wet road with the tyres that are on it!

Remember folks, this is only "temporary", till the race glass, etc, comes back painted!