Stock BT020 at the track?

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have just over 5000 miles on my OEM Bridgestones and I'm going to my first track day on 5/5. Still looks like I have plenty of tread left, but I know its not that great of a tire to begin with.

Anyone have first hand track experience with these? Thanks! :thumbup:

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I ditched my stock rear for a _______ (insert better tire here which is nameless to prevent bias). I felt safer and more confident...plus it rides better on the street.

Anyways, if you're going to be really pushing it, I'd switch it. You can keep it to put back on, but I guarantee you won't! The forum swayed me to switch and I'm glad.

edit: I also ditched the front stock tire too on the suggestions of the forum. So I'd do both...

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
what is your confidence on the street, are you planning on getting your knee down? are you going to be pushing yourself and the bike or just working on being smooth? If you are going to go, work on line, form, and general practice then you should be fine on your stock tires. Racers have been dragging knee on tires much worse than yours from the old days of the AMA. that being said, you will get a lot more grip and a larger margin for error with some nice tires made to be pushed a bit harder.

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, it will be my first track day, so "pushing it" is a relative term. I of course will be going to learn and work on form, but at quite a brisk pace. I have ridden pretty hard (or so it seemed) on the stock tires before on some back-country runs and was pleasantly surprised with them. However, now that there won't be trees, cars, walls, deer, potholes, gravel, etc. around I will probably be going a bit harder.

BigJoeG

Reaction score
Visit site
I had about 2K miles on my stock tire with plenty of tread left when I went to the track last summer. I wasn't planning on going hard when I got there, but got more aggressive as I learned new things. Did have the tire momentarily let loose a time or two. That got my attention. :eek:

After the day was over and I was admiring the little pieces of melted rubber hanging off my tires, I noticed that I was almost down to the wear indicators! So much for those tires!

If in doubt, get new tires.

Pakow

Reaction score
Visit site
Personally i would not have enough fun riding 5000-mile-old tires to make it worth the time, money and energy getting to the track.

it would be like driving through the snow, getting a bunch of ski gear on, paying for a lift ticket and then trying to get down the mountain with a couple 2x4s strapped to the bottom of my feet...