Custom bracket for speedo

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
Hum, how should I start this. To make a long story short, I fabricated my own bracket for the speedo.

IMG_5570.jpg

IMG_5569.jpg

IMG_5567.jpg

Why did I do this you may ask... I started off wanting to do the FZ1N headlight mod. Well in addition to doing the FZ1N mod, I also wanted clip-ons mounted under the top yoke and not above (didn't want to worry about the plausibility of changing the geometry of the bike).

So in March I spent some mega cash as I bought a set of Vortex clip-ons and the FZ1N headlight from Flatout all at the same time. I got the clip-ons first and quickly installed them. A few days later the headlight came. I was super stoked and began the install. :( Things didn't work out the way I wanted because where the clip-ons are mounted hinder the mounting of the FZ1N headlight.

After this past weekends track day, there is no doubt that I'll be keeping the clip-ons installed and seeking out a different headlight. Good news for one of you out there, I'll be selling the FZ1N headlight along with most of all the parts at a reduce price.

Any who, since I'll be keeping the clip-ons, the task of mounting the speedo remained. So that's what this thread was for, in order to enlighten everyone on the custom bracket I made for the speedo. I took ideas using the FZ1N speedo/headlight bracket. I even have my speedo at the same angle and height as if I were using the FZ1N speedo/headlight bracket.

Next mod will be to cut off the risers on the top yoke. To follow up that mod will be getting shorter throttle and clutch cables from Motion Pro.

If there are questions, please don't hesitate to ask.... ;)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How do you find the clip-ons? just about to do the same to my FZ?

:rockon:

Looks great by the way.

:rockon:

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
The clip ons look good! How do they feel? I guess much more aggressive than the standard bar...

Which headlight are you gonna use?

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
The clip ons look good! How do they feel? I guess much more aggressive than the standard bar...

Which headlight are you gonna use?

I loved them. I went to the track last weekend and that was my determining factor in keeping them vice going back to the bar and keeping the FZ1N headlight.

Right now I don't know which headlight I'm going with. I've been surfing the net and have found some really interesting stuff.

CRW_0035.jpg

DSC00123.jpg

antijoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Right now I don't know which headlight I'm going with. I've been surfing the net and have found some really interesting stuff.

CRW_0035.jpg

I'd like something like this, but with HID projectors. I haven't found any like that yet, would probably need to be home made. I'll probably just go with the dominators though, since I don't have the money to buy various HID parts and hope I can piece them together well. I still need to figure out how I'll mount my speedo.

antijoy

Reaction score
Visit site
How did you make speedo mount?

It's exactly what I need for my bike. Is it very hard to make? Could you show more pics of it and how its attached, or even a "how to"?

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
I made the mount out of a sheet to metal that I found at work. First I made me a pattern using cardboard. After I got the pattern the way I wanted it, I then traced it out using a pencil onto the metal. Once the pattern was traced out, I used a combination of tools to cut the pattern out (band saw, drill press, dremel, bench grinder, and sand paper).

I'll get some pictures of the bracket mount itself sometime next week when I take the top yoke off to cut the handle bar riser off.

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
The clip-ons aren't bad to install. You can either mount them above or below the top triple clamp/top yoke. I only know how to install them under the top triple clamp/top yoke.

1st you'll have to take off your bar ends, hand grips, and controls (switches and levers).
2nd remove the handle bar.
3rd you'll have to remove the top triple clamp/top yoke.
4th install the clip-ons.
5th put your controls (switches and levers) and grips on the clip-ons.

Depending on how aggressive you angle your clip-ons, you'll need to make some new steering stops so that you don't hit the tank with your clip-ons.

As far as the slow speeds, I haven't been in a situation where it was that bad (YET, knock on wood).

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
I've decided to take my bracket to a fabrication shop and have them make it. They'll be able to draw it up and cut the bracket out to spec. I'll update everyone with pics and final price hopefully by the end of the week. I was quoted approx $68. Considering the time and effort it took me to make my 1st bracket, the $68 for a quality bracket made out of 16 gauge steel will be well worth it IMHO.