I have broken in the FZ6S

blueboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, another new forum member from 'Down Under'

Picked up a Black low km 2006 FZ6-S (3500km/2175mi) to ride from Brisbane to Phillip Island to watch the MotoGP. Awesome trip and was made even better when Casey Stoner won the race further sealing his already won world title. If you have never watched a MotoGP race live - make it a thing to do as the sound and speed almost brings tears to your eyes.

I can say the FZ6-S did a stearling job over the 5000km/3100mi ride, with a mix of good tar, bad tar, and a fair amount of smooth and rough dirt road/track. I was touring with BMW 1100 and 1200 GS riders who seemed to gravitate towards dirt roads. The home run required us to do 2200km/1370mi in 3 days over a real mix of tar and dirt roads but fortunately only a few hundred kms of straight road.

The only thing I will do before heading off on a tour with the Fazer again - is a new seat on it. Previously I had a '96 VFR750, and spent many a painful hour on this trip reminising about its comfortable nature. Other feedback I can give is:

1. The fairing offers very good protection. I am 6" tall and 100kgs and the only problem I had was in some conditions the wind blast hit my neck and caused a draft into the helmet.
2. The fuel economy at 140km/h(87mi/h) is lousy with panniers and a seat bag.
3. The cheap Oxford 1st Time panniers (AU$100) work great with the bike. Put the thin strap under the grab rails and seat and the the two thick ones over the grab rail and seat. With 5kgs(11pounds) a side the bike still handled well and balanced. I also had a seat bag on the pillion seat (5kg/11pounds). Despite some fast and bumpy roads these panniers never moved or caused grief.
4. Due to wear and a puncture on one of the dirt roads, I had to fit new tyres. I fitted the new Michilen Pilot Road 2 tyres -- these are far better than the Bridgetsone 020 the bike came with IMO. Better grip in wet and dry, better profile and tip into the corners and it looks like getting some good mileage.
5. I love the light weight of the bike compared to my VFR in the medium and tight corners. At speeds I would normally have the VFR scraping bits, I didn't even scrape a foot or peg feeler on the Fazer. This bike can definetly go faster around corners than I am willing to go on the road.
6. Overtaking from 100km/h(62mi/h) you have to shift down to 4th. It took some getting used the engine's behaviour from the VFR's midrange torque.

Troubl

On the Group W bench
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on your new ride, having an incredible trip on it, and enjoying an incredible race!