Dual Sport question.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys,

I'm gonna be picking up a dual sport wither later this month or next, and had a couple questions. I have it narrowed down to two bikes.

The Kawasaki

and the Honda

Anyone have experience with either of these bikes? I'm leaning towards the Kawasaki simply because it's water cooled. Any thoughts?

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
I am a dual sport rider, which models of the Kawi and Honda are you looking at?

KLR?, KLX? How old? Yamaha has a fuel injected WR250 in '08 that looks pretty good.

As for the Honda, I am guessing either a XL/XR650, or the XR400. As for the best answer, Sorry Dennis, gotta do it, ThumperTalk , about the largest forum in this regard with some really good guys on it.

I think there is another TT member here besides myself.

I have a DRZ 400S. A lot of fun for the price.

W

wrightme43

The old style KLR has a extensive aftermarket for everything you need to go anywhere possible on two wheels.
I dont have either one, I will say if I was going to buy one tomorrow it would be the 07 KLR650.

Thumper Talk is a nice place.
They helped me with my XR200R alot.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking at the 2007 Kawasaki KLR650, and the 2007 Honda XR650L.

the Kawasaki has over a 6 gallon tank, which is another plus.

Last edited:

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
Both bikes are HEAVY! Just keep that in mind. They are also both tall. Just something to think about.

The large tank is a nice feature, I hate only having a 100 mile range on my DRZ, but I like that it has more horses than the Honda and is much lighter.

The aftermarket is HUGE for both bikes. They have been around a long time, and both have a healthy following. I learned to ride on a 1985 XR500L, talk about a beast of a bike, I still ride it in the desert from time to time.

As for the liquid vs. air cooled motor debate, water adds weight, and the air cooled motor is as reliable as it gets.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got no direct experience with either bike but Motorcycle Consumer News did a review of four dual-sports last month (KLR650, XR650, DR650 and Xcountry 650). Not 100% sure but think the KLR placed first in the group but am 100% sure the Honda was 4th. Doesn't mean the Honda's bad just much more narrow in focus. If you can track down a copy from someone you know there should be lots of good info on both bikes there.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a dual-sport too - was thinking more of the 400 class though as I'd mostly be commuting and doing local fire-roads and what not where the lighter weight would be favorable.

martin_nj

Reaction score
Visit site
they just redesigned teh kawi for the first time in 20 years. its the better of your two choices for sure.

its very very slow tho. very cheap tho only 5 grand i think

what are you going to use it for? in NJ?

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
The Kawasaki was re-done for 2008, I'm looking at a left over 2007.

I live in the pine barrons, lots of trails and sights too see around here.

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
Visit site
The Kawasaki was re-done for 2008, I'm looking at a left over 2007.

I live in the pine barrons, lots of trails and sights too see around here.

Both are excellent bikes, the KLR is better at highway than the XR; and the XR is better for difficult dirt than the KLR. Both can do either just fine. The KLR is probably cheaper, and has a HUGE aftermarket parts selection. They are very popular with people that do Long Distance DS.

I have a lot of dirt around me too, but found the KLR can be a bit heavy when trying the more difficult stuff like 4x4 trails and the like. It's great for fire roads and improved dirt, but getting off in the back woods results in a pretty laborious day. If you have tough dirt roads to navigate, I'd recommend the XR of those two. If you have long distance and medium level dirt, the the KLR.

Me? I'm a little strange. I do long distance DS on my DRZ400SM that I converted over to dirt. :rockon:

great page for aftermarket stuff
KLR 650
XR650L

Last edited:

F250moto

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you looking for more dirt or street? If your gonna be spending more time in the dirt, I would look into the KTM EXC line. They are a little more, but worth it in the long run. My boss has the KLR and rides it every day to work. He seems to really like it.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys, I went with teh XR650L. I will be riding mostly dirt, but need it to be legal for road use. I'll let you guys know how it handles the dirt.

gumballrv

Reaction score
Visit site
Both bikes are HEAVY! Just keep that in mind. They are also both tall. Just something to think about.

Ant_MB let me know how you like the HondaXR650. I also ride a KLR350 in South Jersey and spend a lot of time riding in the sand. I always thought the 650 would be a little heavy to keep upright in the sand. Let me know how you make out, or meet up for a ride sometime.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Ant_MB let me know how you like the HondaXR650. I also ride a KLR350 in South Jersey and spend a lot of time riding in the sand. I always thought the 650 would be a little heavy to keep upright in the sand. Let me know how you make out, or meet up for a ride sometime.

Where in South jersey are you? I am always looking for people to ride with. Shoot me a PM and I'll sent my phone number and we can talk.

yamadamadoo

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you seenthis bike yet?

It's the 2008 Yamaha XT660Z Tenere. 660cc on/off road bike. Check out the trick under tail exhaust. . . wait a minute. . . i've seen that somewhere before ! Oh wait ! My bike has one of dem too.:p. It might even be 2 mufflers on this XT.
Only problem is that we Amerikans arent privied to them like the parts to make our bike a true naked sportbike. Euro market only. You guys get all the good stuff. Thanks Yamaha :Flip:

Last edited: