ILLINOIS Motorycle Road Test

MNDZA

My mom says I'm cool
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure where the best place to post this is, so I'll put it here.

How many times can someone take the ILLINOIS Motorcycle Road Test? Is there any limit on number of times or how many times you can take it in a certain period of time?

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Local forum might be a good place...but anyway.

I don't know the answer off hand but it's probably located in the Sec of State handbook which can be found online.

My advice: plan on passing the first time and check out chicagolandsportbikes.com as the m class road test topic has been beaten to death on that forum. Great forum in general as well.

EDIT - I just left Chicago after 8.5 years...

MNDZA

My mom says I'm cool
Reaction score
Visit site
No I checked everywhere online and couldn't find anything. The reason I'm asking is because I took it after my MSF class and failed due to a very stupid mistake of not stopping fast enough after the swerve test and I'm worried that I might make another dumb mistake next time. At the place I took the MSF class, they allow two tests total and then said I have to go to the DMV after that.

rdoucet

Ghost Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think that their is a limit on the amount of times; you may want to call a Secretary of State office for sure. Most DMV's in Illinois that give the test have a section of the parking lot(minus cones) painted for the test. You may want to ride up to one if local and practice after hours to get the nerves settled so when you go back again you feel a bit more comfortable. I know for sure that Joliet and Naperville have the parking lot stripped for the test. Relax next time and try to pretend that nobody is around and ride like your not taking a test; ride like your just practicing manuevers and you will pass.

Good Luck,

MNDZA

My mom says I'm cool
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty confident in passing, but failing it due to my dumb mistake makes me worry a little bit and if I can only take it a total of three times, that puts a LOT more pressure on me and I'll be more likely to make more mistakes due to being nervous. I appreciate the input, but does anyone know a definite answer to this?

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know the answer, but I don't think that MSF reports failures to the DMV. So if you go to DMV to take the test, I think you start over again....so relax and pass.:thumbup:

MNDZA

My mom says I'm cool
Reaction score
Visit site
It doesn't matter if they don't report it because when you take the test, it is given by someone from the DMV. They come to the test site and you fill out the DMV papers. The MSF instructors have nothing to do with the test. Anyone else know the answer to my original question?

rdoucet

Ghost Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You are allowed to take each exam (vision, written and driving) 3 times per year per application; if you fail any test more than 3 times you have to start all over with all 3 exams and re-submit the application for an m-license along with the application fees. The DMV will require proof of motorcycle Insurance if you go their and they will conduct a motorcycle safety check (if you have any problems with your bike, fix now or they will not allow you to test on the bike). Some instructors, not all, but some will not allow you to take the test at the DMV without a helmet (even though Illinois has no helmet requirement).

But to answer your question again, 3 times in a year; fail any of the exams and you start all over at the DMV.

Hope this helps and good luck on your exam.

MNDZA

My mom says I'm cool
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome thanks for the detailed info. One last question so I don't misunderstand what you said. If I do fail 3 times, I can simply apply again or do I have to wait another year for the reapply?

rdoucet

Ghost Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You will have to re-apply for the M-License application if you fail 3 times; only thing you will be out is time and money at DMV . You can take the test 3 times per application with no penalty; after that you start all over again like you never applied for a M-License. Relax and don't think of it as a test and you will do fine!!

Good Luck,

:thumbup:

shamrocker

Reaction score
joshisingreenville.blogspot.com
It doesn't matter if they don't report it because when you take the test, it is given by someone from the DMV. They come to the test site and you fill out the DMV papers. The MSF instructors have nothing to do with the test. Anyone else know the answer to my original question?

I guess I was lucky, our MSF instructors in Peoria administered the test, not someone from DMV. I have heard that the DMV test is a little more challenging than the MSF test, though so definitely practice, practice! Good luck!!

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
I am a MSF Instructor and DMV examiner in Indiana. The best advice I can give you is to RELAX, concentrate on what you are supposed to do not how well you did the last exercise.

Your job is to ride the bike to the best of your abilities, let the examiner keep score.