Classic MotoGP racing 1993

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is an amazing clip from '93; Schwantz, Doohan, Beattie Itoh. Note the old school style of riding.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rGjP4eP_ds&feature=related]YouTube - MotoGP 500 Legends - Germany/Hockenheim 1993[/ame]

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, here goes... It appears the older body position through the turns is not as extreme as present day. Although they move their lower body to the inside, the head maintains a mostly consistent position in line with the forks, whereas todays riders move their entire torso to the inside? Am I close?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, here goes... It appears the older body position through the turns is not as extreme as present day. Although they move their lower body to the inside, the head maintains a mostly consistent position in line with the forks, whereas todays riders move their entire torso to the inside? Am I close?

Exactly! Back then you just kinda hung your butt off the seat and stuck your knee out. Did you notice that Schwantz sits bolt upright too? That surprised me, back then it looks fine but that is what you knew.

Here's Ben Spies from 2008.
View attachment 15158View attachment 15159

Tire technology has come a very long way too.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have that race on VHS! Great race, great memories from a great period in 500cc racing.

:rockon:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We get lots of old bike racing on ESPN Classic here, recently we have had SBK from the mid 90s and MotoGP from the late 90s and early 00s.

If you want to see old school racing you have to watch On Any Sunday II. Roberts, Sheene etc, great stuff!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We get lots of old bike racing on ESPN Classic here, recently we have had SBK from the mid 90s and MotoGP from the late 90s and early 00s.

If you want to see old school racing you have to watch On Any Sunday II. Roberts, Sheene etc, great stuff!

Have not got this DVD...thanks, have thought about getting it before, but have never thought of it when in the video shop!

Thanks for the tip.

:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The first one is good too but is more of a documentary, the second one is really funny in places. Get them both!

I have the first one...just not the second one! All those old bike doco's, are pretty funny to watch...awesome bikes & riders though...Scary Scary road circuits, tracks with awesome high speed corners, etc...

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually think older racers were far more skilled than todays, especially considering the technology. :scared:

In ways yes. I'll see if I can find a clip of how much more violet the 500cc two stroke bikes were. Today with throttle by wire, traction control, amazing tires, suspension and chassis it allows todays rides to go even faster in the corners. The racers today are very, very skilled needless to say.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In ways yes. I'll see if I can find a clip of how much more violet the 500cc two stroke bikes were. Today with throttle by wire, traction control, amazing tires, suspension and chassis it allows todays rides to go even faster in the corners. The racers today are very, very skilled needless to say.

I think when the racing is in the wet, that sorts out the men from the boys, the super skilled, from just the very talented.

Or maybe it's just the insane v's mere mortals! Have you seen the likes of 'Chris Vermeulen in the wet?!

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like it is our week for old racing, the 1994 Japanese 500cc GP is on tv right now. Luca Cadalora is leading but he will be penalised 1 minute for a jump start. Mick Doohan is catching him followed by World Champion Kevin Schwantz but local wild card Norick Abe is giving them both a hard time!

The opening post in this thread mentions riding styles, Abe looks like is trying to sit bolt upright and lean the bike on its own!

RIP Abe-san.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like it is our week for old racing, the 1994 Japanese 500cc GP is on tv right now. Luca Cadalora is leading but he will be penalised 1 minute for a jump start. Mick Doohan is catching him followed by World Champion Kevin Schwantz but local wild card Norick Abe is giving them both a hard time!

The opening post in this thread mentions riding styles, Abe looks like is trying to sit bolt upright and lean the bike on its own!

RIP Abe-san.

Do you know who wins?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am getting old, I have lent my On Any Sunday DVDs to someone and I can't remember who!

Dont you just hate that....a friend dropped some DVD's back to me today, and i could not even remember lending them out in the first place!

:eek: