New GPS!!!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I couldn't justify the money for the motorcycle/waterproof GPS, aka TomTom Rider or Zumo...

So, I bought a new Garmin nuvi 265WT instead. Walmart sells them for $248 but they are mail order only. I printed the cart that said nothing about being a web order and went to Staples who had them in stock. The manager didn't ask any questions and sold two to me at that price. (The second one was for a good friend who I work with).

First impression is awesome! Large wide screen on this unit. Loud speaker and MANY customized downloads available for it. Thus far, I've only used it in the cage. I've tested it locally with direct trips and then decided to see how it handles wrong turns. After it told me to leave a store and turn left, I went right instead. I went less than 100 feet and it had already calculated a new route to my destination!

I joined the site POI Factory | new & interesting places for your GPS and got a ton of great stuff there. I now have loaded all of the Yamaha dealers in every state (in case of a breakdown), all the Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks, all of the gas station that I have a card for, all rest areas, state parks, national parks and free wifi hotspots. Great site!!!

I plan on taking the bike up to Whitehorse Gear - Spring Riding at its Best! and buying the RAM mount for the unit and a cigarette power adapter kit to mount in the inner fairing to a switched/fused location.

As for waterproof? Well, I just couldn't spend THAT much more for nearly all the same features. I plan on carrying a waterproof bag made of rip-stop nylon with a drawsting that I can slide over the the mounted unit and continue driving. Since it is bluetooth, I've ordered the Scala Rider Q2 multiset for my wife and I and I'll hear it speaking to me an any trip.

View attachment 15155

Here's the link to Staples for anyone interested. Try printing the Wally world cart with the price and see if they will match for you too! Garmin nuvi® 265WT Portable GPS | Staples®

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Another fine addition Eric, ( I like the price match theory)

I have the Nuvi 200, all I need is the mount as well, how do think the glare/visibility is going to be on the bike? Enjoy!

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site
I have that same unit. It works really well on the bike, even in the sunshine. The screen is very bright... and crazily enough if you leave the sound on you can still hear the bloody thing. I was brave with mine and just used the suction cup to hold in on the windshield. I want to get a more secure mount for it though. Have fun with it!
Cheers

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Another fine addition Eric, ( I like the price match theory)

I have the Nuvi 200, all I need is the mount as well, how do think the glare/visibility is going to be on the bike? Enjoy!

Thanks to granda080 for the answer to this one! :D

Eric, we are planning a ride up to White Horse Gear again so I can get the RAM mount for this unit as well as the panel mount Powerlet kit. Are you interested in riding with us? Likely it will be next weekend if the weather holds up. This way, you can take the Top Saddlery seat and try it out either on the way up or back. We can meet at McD's in Alton again? Wanted to go today but the weather is against me.

Rob? You interested? Is Keira riding at all or not risking it?

And Jim, thanks for the tip! I had given thought of carrying something along those lines, like ziplock bags and some elastics. ;)

kvanderploeg

Reaction score
Visit site
I couldn't justify a fully waterproof "motorcycle" GPS either, so I bought a Garmin 200W and put it in an AquaBox from Ram Mount. Fully waterproof, and still allows you to use the touchscreen. I love mine. Bought the kit from GPScity.com

AQ6MAIN

Kent

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
ive been looking at the same model 265wt. how well do the traffic updates work, is it a worthwhile feature?

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ive been looking at the same model 265wt. how well do the traffic updates work, is it a worthwhile feature?

It is very valuable but it only works well in major metro areas. But, lifetime subscription? NICE!!! My boss bought the Zumo 550 and when I showed him this one, the price and the specs, he was sold on the traffic updates.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Keira dosen't fit on her bike anymore :) What day are you thinking? Saturday works best for me! I am very interested in a ride.

Saturday would be my choice also! Do you want to meet at the Alton McD's again? provided the weather cooperates anyway... I'll also let you try that TS seat if you'd like!

I might pre-drill the 11/16" hole in the inner fairing and mount the kit on the spot. I'll have to determine the wiring location ahead of time. :rockon:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Is that GPS solid state?

Another member said that it works fine, but I would be leary of this if it isnt a solid state style.

-bryan

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is that GPS solid state?

Another member said that it works fine, but I would be leary of this if it isnt a solid state style.

-bryan

Yes, it is solid state. :D That was one of the specs I looked for first in a new GPS. This appears to be a rock solid device which is compact in design but a large screen.

It isn't a motorcycle specific GPS but with the Held gloves, I can easily navigate the screen. It's not as easy with my cold weather gloves though. The Zumo and TomTom Rider are more glove friendly. Thus far, I have no regrets but we'll see how it goes with a long trip and the Scala Q2 headsets. ;)

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, it is solid state. :D That was one of the specs I looked for first in a new GPS. This appears to be a rock solid device which is compact in design but a large screen.

It isn't a motorcycle specific GPS but with the Held gloves, I can easily navigate the screen. It's not as easy with my cold weather gloves though. The Zumo and TomTom Rider are more glove friendly. Thus far, I have no regrets but we'll see how it goes with a long trip and the Scala Q2 headsets. ;)

Good deal! Hope it works out for you. Where are you mounting it?

-bryan

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good deal! Hope it works out for you. Where are you mounting it?

-bryan

I'm getting the RAM mount U-bolt and putting it on the clutch side of the bars. Then, installing a Powerlet cigarette lighter socket in the inner fairing panel ti a switched location for power. :D

PAJeep

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm getting the RAM mount U-bolt and putting it on the clutch side of the bars. Then, installing a Powerlet cigarette lighter socket in the inner fairing panel ti a switched location for power. :D

Please post pictures of the install and completed project if you can.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Saturday it is then, should we open it up and start a ride thread? What time you want to meet at McD's? We can get a group shot there for our scavenger hunt :)

10am?

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Saturday it is then, should we open it up and start a ride thread? What time you want to meet at McD's? We can get a group shot there for our scavenger hunt :)

10am?

Sure! Open it up and let's see if anyone else is interested.

10AM sounds like a plan. Let's hope that the projected rain for next weekend is either early by a day of delayed a day! :D

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Rob! There's the two of us. I just checked and the weather as of today shows a lot of Sun and 58 for Saturday. Sweet!!!