Disengage ABS ?

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Since noone else has responded I will

I don't think it's possible to disable ABS without removing it and replacing the brake components with non ABS ones.
I also don't think it's wise to do this. Many people WISH they had ABS, not the other way around.

wdsoccer

Reaction score
Visit site
Since noone else has responded I will

I don't think it's possible to disable ABS without removing it and replacing the brake components with non ABS ones.
I also don't think it's wise to do this. Many people WISH they had ABS, not the other way around.

this is true......i wish i had abs......

Aleziel

Reaction score
Visit site
the instruction manual doesnt mention anything about disabling the ABS, and i dont think its possible as ive never seen any such information on the net.

(disabling the abs is obviously nessesary when one wants to perform an endo)

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I imagine you could disable to the sensor from the front wheel rather easily. It might throw some sort of error code though. You would have to play around with it.

There are people who do not want ABS, myself included. But I am not getting into that arguement again.

-bryan

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
You can probably just pull the ABS fuse.

Disabling it makes sense sometimes. For instance, dual sport bikes with ABS have an off switch, because ABS on gravel can get you wrecked.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
that might only work on a car.. but can't see why it wouldnt work for a bike either.. as long as nothing else is controled with that fuse.. also i thought that the abs programs we in the ecu and not in another controler.. so if you pulled the fuse, it might not work.. but you could always disconnect the wires to the abs "pump".. that might work

Se7enLC

Nerd
Reaction score
Visit site
Is that possible on the 2007 FZ6-S2 ?

your best bet..... is to sell the bike and buy one without ABS. Not really joking - the price difference is fairly significant, so you should have no problem buying an equivalent bike without ABS for the amount that you are able to get from selling the one with ABS.

That being said, it would be nice if they had options for disabling it. My jeep has ABS, but it automatically disables it when the transmission is in 4LO, because you would want to be able to lock the brakes up when off road.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
I did this on my truck; the ABS started going off on dry pavement, probably the sensors by the wheel. I disabled it by pulling a fuse.

There is now an ABS warning light on my dash, and some sort of error code in the computer, but at least I got rid of the ABS functionality altogether. I never liked ABS anyway, and I live in an area where we get lots of snow, ice, and rain.

I would have to anticipate that you could do the same for the bike, or perhaps install a switch.

B

bluenova

You can probably just pull the ABS fuse.

Disabling it makes sense sometimes. For instance, dual sport bikes with ABS have an off switch, because ABS on gravel can get you wrecked.

Agreed. From looking at the service manual I'd say pull the ABS fuse or the ABS ECU, both of which should result is a steady ABS warning light...

The service manual states...
Even if the ABS warning light remains on and does not go off, or if it comes on after riding, conventional
braking performance of the vehicle is maintained.

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
these days im reading about our bike's abs system. if you "produce" an error to the abs system it goes off but the brakes work like non-abs. "produce an error" could be pull off one of the sensors, pull the abs fuse (under your tank, near your battery) allow me to ask why do you want your abs off?
the abs light will stay on
best way i recoment taking the fuse off. sensors, ecu etc are easy to wreck but if you wreck the fuse or loose it you can buy an other one, 30A if i recall