ASBK Round 2 Symmons Plains (sad sad day)

FZ6 Tas

Reaction score
Visit site
Went to Round 2 of the Australian Superbikes today at Symmons Plains in Tasmania, hoped to get some photos of the FZ6 Cup Masters but a horrible accident occured 5 laps into the supersports (600) race. The leader (I believe, still in shock) lowsided and 2 riders in the middle of the pack didn't react in time and hit the bike. One burst into flames which rose above the walkway accross the track. One rider (aged29) died at the track, another broke his ankle but the other rider was transported to hospital and is critical. He was thrown like 50 metres infront of the accident and didn't move. The rest of the races were called off for the day. Very sad day, it was the first time I had taken my son to the races and he was so excited, he is old enough to know there was a crash but young enough not to realise people die so I am grateful of this.

Here are some pics, first of my boy getting ready for the 1st race, the aftermath of the accident (bikes only of course) and an FZ6 Cup bike.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Man that's a bum deal, racing can go bad so fast.

Good looking future rider, start him out early:)

That cup bike looks like it would be a fun ride.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's just horrible....thanks for letting us know, you dont happen to know who the riders were that were involved in the crash?

FZ6 Tas

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry no, you can see the number on the closest bike in the photo but the other bike is in so much of a mess, it was the one that exploded on impact. The worst thing I have ever seen, alot of fans were blaming the flag marshalls for not puting out the red but I can't really say, I had my eyes half shut hoping everyone was goin to get past.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry no, you can see the number on the closest bike in the photo but the other bike is in so much of a mess, it was the one that exploded on impact. The worst thing I have ever seen, alot of fans were blaming the flag marshalls for not puting out the red but I can't really say, I had my eyes half shut hoping everyone was goin to get past.

Wow, i am quite shocked! I am sure we wil hear the gory detail soon enough!

:(

FZ6 Tas

Reaction score
Visit site
Some places are saying the deceased rider was Judd Greedy who was the original rider down, I believe he was hit whilst trying to move his bike off the track so others weren't in danger. He won the first round on Phillip Is I believe and was leading this race when this happened. My events differ from what I have seen on the news but it was so hard to tell with bike parts and riders goin everywhere, not to mention a fireball. I feel sorry for everyone on the hill today too, there were kids right there on the fence, would scar them for life. This particular corner has been the scene of accidents before including a fatality just over 10 years ago. It's not a difficult corner, riders are winding the throttle on as they come onto the straight and alot of rear wheel skipping out occurs there. Problem is that it is a blind corner too. I hope it doesn't hurt Tassie from getting these sorts of events in the future.

Believe it or not some people were asking for a refund on the way out after the cancellation, I want my gate fee to go to the family for funeral costs.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just found this....

http://www.asbk.com.au/jg99/index.html

if anyone wants to send a message of condolescences, there is an e-mail address on there.

Thanks for that mate , i just sent one......Gee thats a sad story , the marshalls will have some questions asked of them if what ive been told is true :(..........I'll rep point you for this post as soon as ive shared some round...

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for that mate , i just sent one......Gee thats a sad story , the marshalls will have some questions asked of them if what ive been told is true :(QUOTE]

Oh, that's no good, those guys do their best, and do it for free...it's never nice when human error contributes...i bet there are quite a few people who are very affected by this...especially the poor guy(s) that hit Judd...that would be awful.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Im not going to sit here and point fingers but being a marshall myself i do get a fair bit of inside info , its appears that marshalls lack of reaction is a contributing factor though :(

Tremulant

It's not over...
Reaction score
Visit site
Tragic seconds at Symmons Plains: One killed and two hurt in bike crash

RIP Judd Greedy. This is a terrible tragedy. Accidents like this remind you just how dangerous this sport really is. If you look at the way the track is built it's no surprise that something like this could happen. Concrete walls on both sides!!!!

http://www.examiner.com.au/slideshowplayer.aspx?id=5881

"ONE motorcycle racer was killed and two were injured in a horrific accident during the opening Superstock race at Symmons Plains yesterday morning.

The dead rider is believed to have been Judd Greedy, 29, of NSW, who was riding with a Queensland-based team, and the accident led to the abandonment of all racing.

An eyewitness said that Greedy was leading the race on lap three when he high- sided his 600cc racer on the exit from the "bus stop" on to the main straight and was unable to get off the track before the packed field reached him.

Two riders in the middle of the pack were unable to avoid the fallen bike and rider and one of the bikes exploded in a fireball as its fuel tank ignited on impact."

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Tragic seconds at Symmons Plains: One killed and two hurt in bike crash

Sad news... RIP racer.

FZ6 Tas

Reaction score
Visit site
Im not going to sit here and point fingers but being a marshall myself i do get a fair bit of inside info , its appears that marshalls lack of reaction is a contributing factor though :(

Heard this on the day too but everything happened so quick I don't think anyone can say for sure unless they were just looking at the marshalls actions. Off the top of my head, I think the closest flag marshall was almost at the scene of the original accident, with the group bunched up this flag might have been the only flag the other competitors saw, which would be too late for the riders reactions. However there was some people yelling at the marshalls and the police through the fence afterwards, they seemed like decent guys, not hooligans, so I figured they wouldn't be saying it unless they knew what they were talking about.