So I finally made my FE

Khyren

Reaction score
Visit site
So I finally made my FE *revised*

I happened upon this one piece if steel that was getting ready to be tossed in the scrap bin and saw that it had a near perfect angle for an FE. So I put it in my parts hiding area and spent some time that afternoon. I had to put a little more bend in it but that wasn't much of a problem after some vice time. It's 3/16" thick, top section is 100mm long, bottom section is 160mm long and I cut off a 160mm wide piece of it. Looked under the bike after measuring the bolt holes and so I placed the mount holes 45mm from the sides and 25mm from the outside edge on the 100mm half. They came out 70mm apart center to center. Drilled the holes at 1/4" and got it test mounted. Played with the light position a little afterwards and measured the screw area of the factory lights. They were 10mm so I grabbed some 1/4 x 1-1/4 x 1-1/4 angle cut at 30mm long. Centered the 3/8" holes in the useable area of the angle and drilled. Welded them flush with the outside of the left and right of the plate spaced 115mm from the bottom edge. Put the plate up and marked the holes and drilled them 1/4". Painted it matte black, put the signal lights on, wound the wires up and called it a day. Spent 2 hours at work doing it :edit and about another hour today (10-17-07) revising it so that the plate light doesn't look ghetto and still uses the factory plate light. In the revision, I cut 30mm off the top portion where the whole bracket mounts and then redrilled the mount holes. Also, I added a piece of 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/8 angle 75mm long with 1/4 - 20 holes drilled and tapped 7.5mm from each side. I then welded the angle at 120mm from the bottom of the main plate and 40mm from the brake side of the plate. That centered the plate light and gave the angle enough room to let the wire from the plate light go up the side. Ground it all smooth and reblacked it. The angle now gave me a smooth way to get the brake side signal light over to the shift side. After I got all the wires hooked back up, I tucked the connectors back in the blue part and wound the rest up to the frame and secured it all with zipties. Looks alot better now. I also got better pics today too. Oh yeah, and the bend of the main plate is 133/47 degrees.

Back with hazards
Wire through angle
Cleaned up wiring
Good shot of the plate light
Plate light in operation
More zipties
Wire through angle 2
Back with lights off

I have enough stuff to make 4 more of these if anyone wants one. Send me a PM and we can work something out.

Khyren

Last edited: