Boots and Pants for Midwest Riding?

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking to get, no wait, I NEED to get, a pair of leather pants and some riding boots this year. I got a JR Blaster 3.0 leather jacket for Christmas so I'm all set there.

Right now I'm looking at the Blaster 3.0 leather pants and Alpinestars S-MX 5 boots. My question is, for 50-80 degree average riding weather, should I got with regular or perforated leather? And will the waterproof S-MX 5's keep my feet cool enough? Id like to get a waterproof boot in case of rain but don't want to sweat my feet off in the process. I have a Nelson Rigg rain suit so I'm not worried about waterproof jacket and pants.

Thanks all.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I understood correctly that your SMX5's are the waterproof version? If so, you may want to look into getting a pair of the SMX4's in the non-waterproof version. I say that because they aren't making them anymore and you can find them for much cheaper.

The waterproof boots will work well in conditions up to about 70-75 degrees...but after that, your feet will really get swamped. I can vouch for the SMX4's as being good hot weather boots...I've got two pair.

As far as the perforated or non-perforated leather pants go, I've got both, but in anything over 60-65, I'll wear the perforated. While they do a lot for you when it comes to hot weather (letting the body heat out), they won't freeze you to death in temps above that range I mentioned above. Now, if you're going to be riding in anything under 55, I'd recommend non-perforated or even textile pants. But textile will usually burn you up in the summer, and it sounds like you're set on leather anyway.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
No, I don't have any boots yet, I was debating between the normal or waterproof version of these http://www.newenough.com/boots/racing_boots/alpinestars/s_mx_5_motorcycle_boots.html I spose it'd probably be easiest to just get the normal ones with some ventilation and just get some boot covers in case it rains?

Yeah, I'm pretty much set on leather. After reading stories about people going down at 50+ and not even putting a hole through leather, I think that's the only way to go. I've got a nice FXR windproof pant shell I wear snowmobiling in the winter I could probably put on over the perf leather if it got chilly (they even say Yamaha on them and match my bike ;)).

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I would definitely recommend going with the non-waterproof boot. Unless you're riding in 45 degree rain often, you're going to get much more use out of them. I know you're up north in Wisconsin, and I haven't a clue how hot and humid it gets up there in the summer, but here in Kentucky it can easily hit 95 degrees and 80% humidity in the dead of summer. Now, that said, you're still going to sweat your a$$ off in those conditions, but good perforated leather and some vented boots will make it tolerable.

I really like the looks of the new SMX5, but as I said before, if you want to save a bit of coin, look around for the SMX4's on closeout. You should be able to find them for around $100-$130 and I can't recommend them enough for a great mix between protection and comfort, and they're especially good for walking around in when you're not on the bike.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the A* SMX-R and really like them. I bought them second hand from a member here. If I was buying new I would buy the perf ones, it is too hot here in the summer. For the were you are I'd suggest the regular ones. Should be fine.

I'm not familiar with your jacket but do the pants zip into the jacket? If so that would be a nice feature to have. For the street I wear a textile suit that zips together. I like the comfort that provides and the added safety.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah the pants will zip into the jacket so that will be nice.

Seems to me, from what I've read, Alpinestars tend to fit a bit wider than Sidi? I have a bit wider foot, but not terribly wide (I can't wear Nike for instance).

I found last years S-MX R 's for $200 at Motorcyclesuperstore, Newenough has this years S-MX 5 's for $219. Is there much difference between the two? Either apt to be more comfortable off the bike as well?

Thanks for all your help. This is my first time buying boots so I'm trying to make it as painless as possible :)

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
From my experience, A* do seem to have a wider toe box than Sidi. Every pair of A* boots I've had have been a 46 Euro, but when I got Sidis, I found that I had to move up to a 47 Euro because they were just too tight.