crank case scuffs

yamaha rider87

Reaction score
Visit site
So if you find yourself as I did with scratched/gouged crank case after a low-side or a little 0mph woops...you are left with 3 options. Replace the crank case (mucho time and $$$) leave it scuffed up so your riding buddies can tease you, or.......

Starting out: the scratches=
100_0383.jpg

I went ahead and taped off the area around the crank case to prevent overspray from the header paint I will be using later to re-finish the surface.

100_0390.jpg

Then, I took a metal file (could also use a dremmel with a grinding bit but my roomate was asleep) and filed down the surface of the crank case until it was smooth and the scratches were gone or greatly minimized. The trick here is to not go to deep in the spots of the scratches but rather to grind down the whole area around the scratches as well so that the repair doesn't look as obvious as the original damage.

100_0391.jpg

100_0394.jpg

Following the directions on my can of header/engine paint I cleaned the newly ground surface and apply two light coats followed by a heavier third one and let dry

100_0395.jpg

And here we have the finished result....much better than before and for a total cost of $10.00 and 30 mins :rockon:
(note: after curing the finish this morning the color contrast between the face of the crank case and the rest of it painted with the factory paint subsided and now you can't tell the difference in shade or color)

100_0396.jpg

100_0397.jpg

100_0398.jpg

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm lazy. I just went to my local auto parts store and purchased some touch up paint. Can't hardly tell if it was scraped and took about a minuet. Looks like you did a good job though.

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! Great job! You can't even tell! Unfortunately, mine was the 05 with the silver frame...to many different silvers to play/mess up with ;)

Se7enLC

Nerd
Reaction score
Visit site
I just did the exact same repair (on a red 2007)

I used two sanding sponges instead of a dremel - it got it pretty smooth, and I used a flat-black high-temp paint. I noticed the same thing you did with the color difference. I haven't looked at it days later, so maybe it's less noticeable, now. In any case, it is much better than the scraped cover.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
looks good. I had them repaint mine after a drop when I took it for my first service...60 miles and I tipped it over LOL...never tipped any of my other bikes!

anyways, if you go to the dealer, they did it for free when they serviced it. Haven't dropped it since, but haven't taken it for service either (rip off!). I like this DIY method. Thanks for posting!

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! Great job! You can't even tell! Unfortunately, mine was the 05 with the silver frame...to many different silvers to play/mess up with ;)

There is a silver at wal mart that is the right color... its a duplicolor truck/suv paint and even has the same silver shimmer to it that the stock paint has. Its probably the closest match I've seen on the cheap. I'll figure out what the color code is exactly and get back to you.

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site

There is a silver at wal mart that is the right color... its a duplicolor truck/suv paint and even has the same silver shimmer to it that the stock paint has. Its probably the closest match I've seen on the cheap. I'll figure out what the color code is exactly and get back to you.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm lazy. I just went to my local auto parts store and purchased some touch up paint. Can't hardly tell if it was scraped and took about a minuet. Looks like you did a good job though.

I am even lazier and now I am embarrassed.

I bought a new one.

Good job on yours though.

Steve

Pickax

Fasta Bloo... and Black
Reaction score
Visit site

If you could let me know the color code too I'd really appreciate it. I might be headed up there over the next few days anyway and I'll check it out then. Having the color code ahead of time would definitely help, though.

spamthefood

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine turned out really well also. I didnt spend as much time making it smooth but even so it looks real nice for 30 mins of work. I'll get some pics tomorrow.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yea and they may not be that bad but I know my dealer here rips people off they wanted over $300.00 to replace it and to that I said :Flip:

A whole new cover and gasket is only $50-60. You just drain your oil, take all the bolts out, move the armature from the old cover to the new and put it on. I've got a shiny new one sitting on my desk, but I'm waiting for my next oil change to swap it. In the mean time, I polished the center of the old one so you can't see the scuff that well. :D

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
After reading this thread I decided to use my OVERPRICED bottle of colorrite touch up paint to cover up the scratches on my stator cover.

It looks fantastic(compared to before) and you can only tell it's painted over if you look directly at it in direct sunlight. My stebel airhorn right next to it distracts anyone from noticing even that.

yamaha rider87

Reaction score
Visit site
A whole new cover and gasket is only $50-60. You just drain your oil, take all the bolts out, move the armature from the old cover to the new and put it on. I've got a shiny new one sitting on my desk, but I'm waiting for my next oil change to swap it. In the mean time, I polished the center of the old one so you can't see the scuff that well. :D

yea see that's not that bad....like i said my dealer here takes people for a ride hence why I said screw it and decided to repair the one I had.

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
hmmmm I scuffed mine too....and the 05 silver version even.
could one of you guys, who bought one, maybe tell me the part # for the replacement? I was on the (digital) horn to bikebandit.com and they got me confused worse than I started out with - thought I had the right part #, but their microfiche listed crank case cover numbers 1 and 2 and when I asked them what was what they told me neither was the crank case cover :confused::confused:

(right now I'm seriously considering at least attempting a respray (might do it in black tho) just to not have the hassle of getting the part.)