How to tighten the 19mm front axel.

831fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I found the relativley simple sounding process of tightening the front axel to be more difficult than it should have been. Here are the two options that I found to get the job done.

1. Go online and buy a 19mm hex wrench with a socket drive that works on a torque wrench. Spend $ on the part plus shipping and wait a week or so for it to get delivered.

2. Go to Home Depot, by a 1/2"-13 X 1 3/4" Rod Coupling Nut for $1.25. You can find it next to the threaded rod on the metals aisle. Come home, insert one end of the nut into the axel and the other end into a 19mm socket. Tighten to spec.

Hope this helps someone and they won't have to use the time and brainpower I did to solve such a simple problem.

:rockon:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought a cheapo large allen wrench set at the bargin barn for under 20 bucks. I just use the Gunter method "Good n Tight"
Replaced three front tires and not a one has come loose or fallen off yet.

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just used a 3/4 spark plug socket. Take the rubber plug out, insert socket extension and there you have it. Cheap and available anywhere!

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just used a 3/4 spark plug socket. Take the rubber plug out, insert socket extension and there you have it. Cheap and available anywhere!

Same here. I took my wheels off to have my tires changed earlier this week and found this to work very well. I actually tried the double-nut-on-a-bolt trick first, but found the axle to be on so tight (from the factory - has never been removed) that I rounded the nuts trying to get the axle out :eek: I was even using the right size wrench and brand new nuts. Axle was just on waaaaaay too tight.

Came back in the house, frustrated, and checked the forum for more advice and found the backwards spark plug socket trick. I was able to get way more stability and mechanical advantage this way, and the axle came right out. Probably loosened it with the bolt/nut trick, but whatever, it worked. I found the backwards spark plug socket to be easier to use when torquing the axle back into place too.

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Same here. I took my wheels off to have my tires changed earlier this week and found this to work very well. I actually tried the double-nut-on-a-bolt trick first, but found the axle to be on so tight (from the factory - has never been removed) that I rounded the nuts trying to get the axle out :eek: I was even using the right size wrench and brand new nuts. Axle was just on waaaaaay too tight.

Came back in the house, frustrated, and checked the forum for more advice and found the backwards spark plug socket trick. I was able to get way more stability and mechanical advantage this way, and the axle came right out. Probably loosened it with the bolt/nut trick, but whatever, it worked. I found the backwards spark plug socket to be easier to use when torquing the axle back into place too.

Exactly! I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned here already. :confused:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Exactly! I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned here already. :confused:

It has been mentioned here, just not on this thread. There are threads on this topic with a lot more information, such as the backwards spark plug socket trick. A quick search yielded several threads that deal with this topic.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd rather have the correct tool. I ordered part # 5571A79 from mcmaster.com for $15 bucks at 1pm and it arrived at my house the next day.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is what i did...half inch sprocket, with 19mm bolt welded to it...just attach it to a 1/2 inch drive torque wrench for simple removal, and when your putting it back on, just dial in the correct torque setting, and tighten away...didnt cost me anything, cause i had an old socket that didnt need hanging around, same for the bolt.

View attachment 17444

:thumbup:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just used a spare lugnut off of my truck and stuck a wrench on it. :D

evoled

Reaction score
Visit site
Good Morning,

When tightening the front axle, the wheel gets pulled to the threaded fork leg. However, the unthreaded fork leg is free to slide (every so slightly) on the axle. My question is: do you lightly push the unthraded fork leg so it is tight with the hub spacer, or just leave it where it is?

Edward

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Good Morning,

When tightening the front axle, the wheel gets pulled to the threaded fork leg. However, the unthreaded fork leg is free to slide (every so slightly) on the axle. My question is: do you lightly push the unthraded fork leg so it is tight with the hub spacer, or just leave it where it is?

Edward

:welcome::welcome::welcome:
Are you talking about how the forks expand out when the axle is taken off?
I have a friend push the forks inward while I put on the axle and pinch bolt.

I got this from a post I read here:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/24007-removing-front-tire-2.html#post263049

Apparently the horizontal freeplay causes some vibrations while hard braking....