Side & center stands

crazy_canuck

Reaction score
Visit site
I was working in the garage and happened to look at my bike from the rear and noticed how the paint on the bottom of the center stand had scraps from putting the bike up on the center. So I put it up on the center stand to see what the bottom of the side stand looked like and it was quite a bit worse even with a bit of rust. So I thought that must look pretty ugly from behind when I was riding so I'd like to repaint these surface. Has anyone done this or has anyone found a more durable paint? Any suggestions would be great, thx.:D

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was looking at maybe finding a way to rubberise them. I have painted the bottom of my stand with on my previous bike with hammerite. It only lasted a couple of days.

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
I was working in the garage and happened to look at my bike from the rear and noticed how the paint on the bottom of the center stand had scraps from putting the bike up on the center. So I put it up on the center stand to see what the bottom of the side stand looked like and it was quite a bit worse even with a bit of rust. So I thought that must look pretty ugly from behind when I was riding so I'd like to repaint these surface. Has anyone done this or has anyone found a more durable paint? Any suggestions would be great, thx.:D

Funny you should say that - I was just looking at mine on the weekend... I painted them on my first bike without any real longevity....

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
In a previous life, I used to run a variety of industrial paint shops in domestic appliances. A standard test for abraision resistance in many cases, is to apply a household scouring agent (Jif) using a mechanical finger at a specified force, a given number of times.

Most paint, if correctly applied, will stand up to a good deal of rubbing with an abraisve. However, if the abraisive you are using is tarmac & the applied force is the weight of a motorcycle (& rider probably) applied to approx 1 square inch, you are going to struggle to find a paint that will pass that test.

Unless you are detailing for a show, I wouldn't worry about it, cos' there ain't much you can do about it anyway. :D

crazy_canuck

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I tried using a spray on rocker paint and it did not last long, like perryn only a couple days. plus when its warmer it tends to stick to the pavement. :banghead: maybe DefyInertia has a point, anyone know where to get a nice chrome sidestand? :thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Scratched crome will look all black with grit and road grime in it.:banghead: God knows what the solution is. Unless we remove all stands, and take a paddock stand along strapped to our backs lol.

S

sportrider

try rhino liner, or if any of your riding buddies gives you the business for your stands being scratched up, just tell them if they weren't so slow they wouldn't have to look at it!!!;)

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I dunno, this all sounds like complaining that your tire tread ain't all shiny-black with Armor-All...

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No he's not! In fact, I bought one of those Scot oilers that constantly oil your chain, and filled it with Armor-All! :p

Motofish

Reaction score
Visit site
You could probably Bedazzle the bottom your kick/center stands. Rhinestones are nearly as tough as pure carbon.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I am planning on painting my centerstand and all this winter. There are lots of scuffs and the paint has faded on the entire stand. I think painting my calipers (they are heavily tarnished) and center/kick stand will just dress the bike up a little bit.

Its the little things that make a bike or car stand out. (well anything really for that matter)

-bryan