Test Rides

Roboco

Reaction score
Visit site
According to a dealer here in Florida, it is illegal for the dealer to let you test ride a motorcycle unless there's a bill of sale. Anyone know information on this matter? Or do they just not want people to test ride for liability reasons?

clunk

Apprentice
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't know about the strict legality of the "test ride", but I know I've gotten different responses from different dealers.

First dealer I visited after MSF claimed that I couldn't test ride without specific motorcycle insurance (a claim later refuted by my agent). They wanted you to temporarily purchase the bike, take up to 50 miles/50 minutes to evaluate it, and then return and make a final decision (buy or tear up check). Sounded kind of risky to me.

My friend and I then visited a Victory dealer. Their response (to my friend's request ... too big a step for me) was "saddle up"!

Before buying my bike, I went to two Yamaha dealers and test drove a used SV650 and an '06 FZ6 with no problem (just show driver's license and proof of auto insurance).

Bottom line is that it's their bike, and they don't have to let you drive it. But it's also your money, and you don't have to buy their bike.

crazy_canuck

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah its always difficult to find a dealer that will let you test ride one of their bikes. That's why I try and make it out to every demo day for any make that I can and go to the bike show here in town every year.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
That would be state law so I'm not sure about FL but in IL it's a liability thing and some dealers here (Buell) let you test right a bike with a valid M-class and gear.
________
Latina Webcams

Last edited: