2008 tour around Europe, anyone interested?

dixy_023

Junior Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello there,

I live in Canada (Ontario) and I am interested to tour around Europe (1-2 months) next spring - summer. I am looking for someone who can share container or some other transportation cost from Canada or US East Coast to Europe and back.

We can transport vehicles together to lower the costs and meet again on our way back, or we can travel together all of time or partially.

Also, I would appreciate any advices and experiences, links, routes, accommodations etc. regarding trip and transportation.

Anyone interested?

Cheers!

:Lurking:

javamad

Reaction score
Visit site
Be sure to drop by Madrid

HI,

By then I should have a Fazer or some other 600cc bike for touring (still making my mind up :confused: ). A friend of mine has a Fazer though.

I´d be happy to hook up for a weekend ride as part of your longer European tour... if you would like some local road savvy or to give you info about Spanish routes. Just let me know.

dixy_023

Junior Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
plan

Hi There,

And thank you all for your response.

Still looking for someone to join me on my next year tour. Here is my (preliminarily) plan that I like to call "East Ring":

1. Deliver motorcycle some ware in Italy
2. Ride Italy (Rome, Venice, Naples, Florence) and Azure than Spain (Madrid for sure), than back in France. Depend on weather; Alps would be nice to visit
3. Stop in Paris than Great Britain (London). Ride north and use ferry to move back to continent
4. Belgium and Germany, than Poland, Czechoslovakia and Hungary. Visit some historical places.
5. I would love to ride Greece but seems to be too far.
6. Back in Italy to drop off the bike and fly home.

You understand the name "East Ring" now. Anyway the plan is preliminarily so can be changed. To "West Ring" for instance.

Maverick, I've heard there are some great rides around Ottawa. Can you suggest some?

Cheers!
:needpics:

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
Maverick, I've heard there are some great rides around Ottawa. Can you suggest some?

Cheers!
:needpics:

There's a fellow that has a nice website that details some nice rides "near" Ottawa....

Favourite Motorcycle Rides Around Ottawa

Lately, I have been exploring the Calabogie area. Take a look at Richard's link to the "Centennial Lake Road (Black Donald), Calabogie to Griffith" route...

While in the area, stop by the Racetrack...

Calabogie Motorsports Park - Home

We also ride in Quebec just across the river... Quebec tourism caters to MC riders with this cool site..

Moto Tourisme

Some of the roads in Quebec are very good and other are very poor in some spots....

Are you in the TO area?

Ciao

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi mate, I gotta tell you I got back from a European trip a month ago & loved it. Looks like you have a great plan mapped out already. One thing I will say is I wished I bypassed Naples & headed straight to Sorrento. Sorrento is awesome & is the gateway to the Amalfi coast. This road is a must. The Amalfi Coast road to Positano & then on to Amalfi, you can just keep doing laps backwards & forwards along the road if you like. I dont forget you camera, this is some of the most spectacular scenery on earth.

anot

Reaction score
Visit site
Based on this summer you should have pontoons and an outboard motor attached to your bike if you are thinking about visiting England ;)

I would suggest that you ride up to Scotland, good roads and nature, take a boat across the pond to Norway and ride down (Norway -> Sweden -> Denmark) to mainland Europe. The roads in Norway are very good and many bikers from Sweden visit them on their vacation.

midnightfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, sounds like a great trip. I'm in London and would certainly hook up for part of it in either UK or France.
How much are you looking at for shipping the bikes here?
You could consider buying a new or second-hand one and starting the trip in London. Might be cheaper for you to fly to London too.
New FZ6's come with European Warranty from Yamaha, and breakdown cover for 12months with RAC, which can be upgraded to a 12month european cover (90 days per trip) for about £100.00. You'd have to look at the terms and conditions, may have problems with not being a resident. You could do the first part of you trip in UK, and have your first service done here.
Then at the end of the trip sell the bike...........really cheap to me!
Not like the adventure of bringing your own bike I guess........?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi mate,

Im only 30 miles out of london. I would be more than happy to meet up and loan you my garage and a few tools if you need to do any work on the bikes.

Neil

brows141

Naked Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't want to scare you or offend any Italians but Italy has a very high crime/theft rate. When my brother and I drove from Munich to Ancona to catch a ferry to Greece we were advised not to leave my brothers new BMW unattended at the port due to vehicle thieves. Research Italy well as it is a beautiful country with some excellent sites but driving in the cities is hectic to say the least. In a survey done of the countries with the worst drivers in Europe Italy ranked the worst (Greece was 3rd). :)

Don't wan't to get you scared but I think you should invest in a good alarm and possibly a chain as well. Good luck with your trip, bring us back some pics.

javamad

Reaction score
Visit site
Chain set a must

If you want to see Southern Europe and to be able to park your bike without worrying you have to get a proper (industrial strength hardened metals) chain.

When parking you must chain your bike to an urban fixture (metal fence, lampost etc.). I´m not sure what you´d have to do with your luggage (panniers, tank bags etc) Maybe someone with EU touring experience could say what they did. I´m interested myself because as I move around Madrid on a Scooter at the moment I have my eye on a Blue Fazer :D:D and I´m planning a trip from Madrid to Monaco or maybe Venice in July 08

If you swing down to Spain and visit Madrid you are allowed to park on the pavement anywhere you like (only in Madrid) and Country-wide you are allowed to lane filter with caution - might be a bit hairy with 2 months of gear in side-panniers etc, though :)

Hypno-Toad

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I live in Ontario also, and I toured from Uk Nottingham to France and Spain 2 years ago...It was great...I rented a Suzuki Bandit 1200 but would love to bring my FZ there, the FZ is a real good choice for those roads...I would do this trip in a heartbeat, but Ill have to save all winter for it! I do want to stick to Canada this spring and take a month or two to ride out to BC and possibly a jaunt to Cabbots Trail (I hear its an amazing road!) Anyways I will keep an eye on this thread, cause like everyone on here I love to ride and tour...8) Peace

host_arkadiusz

Reaction score
arkadiusz.wu.pl
Hello there,

I live in Canada (Ontario) and I am interested to make this tour possible in Europe (1-2 months) next spring - summer. I am looking for someone who can share container or some other transportation cost from Canada or US East Coast to Europe and back.

We can transport vehicles together to lower the costs and meet again on our way back, or we can travel together all of time or partially.

Also, I would appreciate any advices and experiences, links, routes, accommodations etc. regarding trip and transportation.

Anyone interested?

Cheers!

:Lurking:

Hey... My name is Arkadiusz, I am interested to make make this tour on a fazer across Europe too. I live in USA, NYC. I can share a container with with you. I can't guarantee you this trip yet. I'm planning to get a fazer in April and work the engine in a little at first. Don't want to punish the bike to much. I can probably do a little research the accomodations, the types of routes, cities and countries we can ride through for best sceneories and cruising speeds. I will try to take a week or 2 off of work, school and flight training for this trip. 2 months would be a little too extreme. It would be great if a couple more people can join us on this motorcycle touring adventure. Maybe there is a large touring group we can join? Are u planning to go spring/summer 08 or 09? I'm thinking June/July 08. Can I ask what age group you are, male or female? So... let me know if your still interested. My email is [email protected]

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your trip misses out all of Scandanavia.

I am English and would miss out England and take in Norway, Sweden and Denmark.

Steve