Boston, MA peeps out there

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys,
I just found out that I got my Residency at Boston University starting in June 2010. I was just wondering how long the riding season is there and whether it is even worth bringing my bike with me? What months are riding season? I'd hate to ship it all the way over there to let it sit collecting dust!
Thanks,
Rob

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Rob,

I would bring it, no matter how short the riding season is. This is a great opportunity for you to meet other forum members and to ride around the east coast, especially around New England. Plus, you'll need some form of an escape from the grueling grind of your residency.

Congrats on your residency by the way.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well seeing as i have a bike and i am in the area so i think it is worth while to have it out here :) MY riding season is from the beginning of march until about December. Of course for most of the beginning and ending month to month and a half timeframe i am usually the only one riding. So the season is however long you want to make it and however long you want to buy the gear for.

I know a guy that rides year round on his V-Strom and switches to dual sport tires in the winter so he can ride in the snow...

I don;t think he is all there up top if you know what i mean...

githianki

Reaction score
Visit site
Bring the bike with you man!!! You have at least 7 months of riding here...if you don't mind a bit of the cold :Flash:

Hey I was just out your way over the weekend, in Capastrano Beach..you got yourself some nice roads out there...will have to rent or bring my bike next time.

Ooter

Reaction score
Visit site
Absolutely bring the bike! A safe bet for riding season is from April 1 through Oct 31. Sometimes you get beautiful days in March with 60 degree weather, and sometimes it snows in April, but that's New England for you :)

BTW I live in Boston as well, the only tricky thing is finding a place to park the bike :)

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
totally bring it.. im in the middle of ct and would say my ridding season starts and ends around 55 degree's - that translates to about mid april to about mid oct... anywhere from 6 to 8 months depending on if you like to ride in cold weather or not..

CZAR357

Reaction score
Visit site
Definately bring it. Riding season for me started about 2 weeks ago and will go until sometime in November or when it snows. Whichever comes first. It is also a great stress reliever when your in school. I usually take an hour ride or so after class and it definatly relieves some of the stress. Totally forget all the engineering homework I have! At least for an hour.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. That certainly answers my question and at least I know I'll have some guys to ride with:thumbup:.

As for parking the bike: I'll find a place with a garage or I'll buy a small shed to put it in at the house I'll rent. I have parking at work at the hospital, so that's no problem either. The whole point of riding the bike to work is the easy parking, right?!:rockon:

Now to go buy that Triumph Street Triple R!:cheer:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats Rob and glad you're coming this way! I'm not there but just over an hour north. There's several members in the Boston area and many just outside the area in all directions. We'd be HAPPY to give you a few tours of New England!

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats Rob and glad you're coming this way! I'm not there but just over an hour north. There's several members in the Boston area and many just outside the area in all directions. We'd be HAPPY to give you a few tours of New England!

Thanks bro, even though it won't be on an FZ6? Haha, j/k. Once an owner, always an owner right? I was torn about getting another FZ or getting the Triumph, but figured it was a good opportunity to get something different this time. Now to sell the car so I can buy the bike! Was going to sell the car before moving anyway, so it all works out.:cheer:

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
Bring the bike. Plenty of riding season. What residency are you doing. I'm board certified in Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology. I'm also 45 minutes from BU.

schleppy

Reaction score
Visit site
I live north of boston and I ride from march - december. You could ride later if you don't have any icey driveway to deal with, and don't fear the cold :D

Sign up at www.nestreetriders.com too, it's a great bunch of people, MANY of which are in the Boston area.

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey best of luck with your studies. I also say bring the bike. I'm a new FZ6 owner, haven't even picked it up yet, but I've been riding for 5 years and find the season varies from March/April to Nov/Dec. This year I got the old bike out two weeks ago (before I sold it) and there have been years where I rode up to Thanksgiving week. So there is plenty of oportunity to ride up here.

Welcome..:welcome:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Bring the bike. Plenty of riding season. What residency are you doing. I'm board certified in Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology. I'm also 45 minutes from BU.

I'm at Boston University doing Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PM&R). Glad to see another doc on the boards!:rockon:

fz6rwolf

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in Providence. Sometimes even in Jan/Feb there is a day or two you can get out for an hour without becoming an icicle. I never winterize just in case of a day like that.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with everyone here. If you don't bring it, you'll wish you did! Do invest in some good rain gear though - one thing about New England is the weather can change in an instant, and a beautiful sunny day can turn cold and rainy before you know it, and usually when you are unprepared.