I joined the AMA....

J

jsteinb95

(Academy of Model Aeronautics)

I bought a glo plane, with a 50" wing span, a week ago, at an RC plane swap meet for $30 (with a motor).....just had to buy some servos. I don't know what kind of plane it is, I think it's a homemade job. I didn't like the colors/graphics, so I bought me some monokote, an iron and a heat gun, so I can re-cover the plane! :eek: We'll see how it goes....I know what to expect (practiced on a J-3 cub), so hopefully it will come out ok! Will post pics when it's done.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great stuff J. Up here it's MAAC (Model Aeronautics Association of Canada) and it's a yearly requirement to have to fly at any club or not. They provide us insurance coverage for public damage, etc. as long as we're flying in accordance with their regulations otherwise all bets are off.

Good luck with the covering, and yes, let's see some before and after pics. Post if you need some covering advice. ;)

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool, I've been a member for a few years now. I'm number 804505..:D

Let me know if you have any questions when you tackle the covering. Monokote is pretty good so you should have any problems.

50" wingspan huh? what size engine did it come with? I'm gussing some where around a .46-.55?

J

jsteinb95

I figured you two would be the only ones to post in here! lol

Daryl, I didn't even think about it....didn't get before pics! :( Well, the monokote was white. :D Yeah, I think we have $1 million coverage, but we can fly anywhere; club, park etc...

Ant, honestly, I don't know what size motor is in it. I think it's .25....just guessing. It flies really well though.

The monokote is coming along OK (first plane and all), but it's kinda tough since it's already put together....I thought about removing the vertical stabilizer, but I'd probably break it. Was going to remove the elevator and rudder (since they have the CA hinges), but decided not to, and boy is that tough!!!

J

jsteinb95

Hey guys, I have two questions......

1. Is the heat gun just to get wrinkles out? or does it help the monokote bond? So, basically, do I have to use the heat gun everytime? (ok, that 3 questions in one)

2. Can monokote be painted? If so, what kind of paint?

Thanks

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the AMA, it has its perks, good people, great airstrips, fully insured incase of an accident, can go to pretty much any airstrip show your card and away you go. Ive also been a member for several years now definitely worth the $$$ to do so. Let us know if you have anymore questions.

oogie

Reaction score
Visit site
J, the heat activates the adhesive properties of the film, as well as shrink it some to get tautness and take make it smooth. I use a model iron to tack the edges,then heat gun to smooth inside flat areas or between rib/structural spaces. I believe Monokote makes a paint that can be applied to their coverings.

J

jsteinb95

J, the heat activates the adhesive properties of the film, as well as shrink it some to get tautness and take make it smooth. I use a model iron to tack the edges,then heat gun to smooth inside flat areas or between rib/structural spaces. I believe Monokote makes a paint that can be applied to their coverings.

Perfect! Thanks a bunch.