Crash Test Gear Review

Jake

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a get-off this weekend and figured I’d share an after-action report with you all. Personally, I always like to know about how gear performed under different circumstances. Hopefully this is informative for any of you out there. Remember, this is specific to my particular circumstances. GEAR GEAR GEAR!! Wear it. My gear did an awesome job. Also fortunate to have a good group of friends with me to help out.

The Crash
I’ve been through this turn a million times without problems. This time I overcooked my exit and my rear tire washed out on the last part of the turn (Pilot Power 2CT). Not the tires fault; I was heavy-handed on the throttle. Can’t remember my speed when going down but estimate 45-50 mph.

One moment I’ve got a **** eating grin on my face and the next moment I’m doing a powerslide asphalt tango. The bike lowsided on the left and slid, along with myself, for approximately 60 feet. No flipping or rolling from either of us. Amidst the slow-motion, WTF-thinking, I actually reached over and popped the kill switch while I was sliding down the road. Came to a stop, did a limb check, picked up the bike and got out of the road.

Bike Damage
Spiegler LSL slider took most of the damage. The plastic slider insert was ground down and the aluminum mushroom head took a good sanding. Crankcase cover was ground slightly but no structural damage. Minor scuffs to the fairing and some grindage on turn signal. A plastic bracket on the front fender broke. About ¼” of the kickstand foot ground off. Left handlebar tube bent. Rearview cracked.

Gear Damage
Most of my body contact was left cheek, leg and boot. Leather pants were scuffed but not penetrated. Boot was moderately scuffed on armor and small portion of upper leather was worn pretty well. Forearm pad of jacket briefly touched with only cosmetic scuffing. Helmet and gloves never touched pavement.

Personal Damage
No rash, no bruises, no sore morning after…

Gear Assessment

Bike 2005 FZ6-ST: I rode it home without problem. Handlebars bent enough that they need to be replaced (stock bars). Front fender and rearview mirror are useable in the short term but will be replaced. All other scuffing is merely cosmetic. Fork and axle sliders may have prevented fender damage and some of the scuffing.

Spiegler LSL Sliders: Seemed to work well. Sliders aren’t guaranteed to prevent ALL damage. Whether Spieglers are worth the extra money is up for debate but they did their job in this case.

Cortech Impulse II Jacket: Forearm briefly touched pavement with only minor scuffing. I think it’s a fine garment that would easily withstand a much worse crash.

Fieldsheer Sport Air Pants: Performed well. I barely felt any heat while sliding and armor prevented bruising. I’ll continue wearing the same pair without replacement. The leather scars add character.

Sidi Vertigo Air Boots: Performed well. Boots won’t be replaced. However, the next pair I buy will not be perforated as I feel that full-leather would have faired better on the contact portion. There was a slight tear/burn through on the top of the leather.

Hope this helps anyone out there making a choice while shopping for gear.

Jake

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

Thanks man. Bummer on the get off, but glad your gear did its job.

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
Very informative, thanks for posting!
Im currently looking for boots, glad to see the Sidis stand up.

Definitely also making me think about switching to leather pants over mesh. Just how hot do they get?
Is it comparable to a leather jacket vs textile (which I notice not much of a diff) or are they without a doubt much warmer

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
Good write up. Sorry to hear you went down, but at least the gear worked well and you're ok.

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Jake, glad you came out of that one unscathed. It sucks reading about injuries and it is great to hear a story with a happier ending for a change.

Thanks for spending the time to evaluate and relay the performance of your gear. :thumbup:

githianki

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you came out of it OK man...on the flipside nothing like real life gear evaulations :D

B

bluenova

Amidst the slow-motion, WTF-thinking, I actually reached over and popped the kill switch while I was sliding down the road.
Nice one :thumbup: