Joe Rocket mesh jacket

Johnfz6r

Reaction score
Visit site
Anybody owned a Joe Rocket mesh? How is it during the summer?
This is the one I am looking at
2008_Joe_Rocket_Yamaha_Champion_Mesh_Jacket_Black_Black.jpg

W

wrightme43

I have the plain joe rocket mesh jacket. Its really not any more comfortable than perforated leather. I have the pants as well.

I really wouldnt buy them again, now that I have perf leather.

I feel just as protected in my kevlar lined jeans as the mesh jacket.

Johnfz6r

Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't even really looked at the leather ones for this summer I assumed that they would be super hot once the temp gets up to over 80! so the perforated leather is as cool as a textile mesh? Sorry if these are stupid questions

W

wrightme43

Not stupid at all.

Not quite as cool, but it has other benifits that make it better.

Leather looks good in light colors. That cuts down on the sun heating it as much as the black mesh.

The leather is much much more protective.

You can wet the leather and it will keep you much cooler much longer than the mesh when wetted.

It flows almost the same amount of air.

The mesh jackets really just dont do much in a fall.

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
The salesman gave me a nice slogan when I was deciding between a QUALITY vented/lined leather jacked and a textile..

"Id rather sweat than bleed."

The protective qualities of leather IMO will make it worth it. Besides, most people say as long as your moving you dont notice a whole lot of a difference

coursonap

Reaction score
profile.myspace.com
I just ordered a ICON MOTORHEAD leather jacket in black. A friend of mine has one is red and he says it is not that bad, in town he says he has to unzip it just a little when it is super hot outside other than that he doesnt have a problem.

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
What Wrightme said!
I Have the Phoenix 5.0 jacket. While it has good armor, I really consider it too light to provide good protection compared with perf leather. I've since picked up a Fieldsheer perf leather and love it. I'll wear it as long as I can this summer. Not sure if it will get hot enough here in Colorado that I'll need to go back to the Phoenix.
320_Phoenix_5.0_Jacket.jpg

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Perforated leather FTMFW!!!

Seriously, get perforated leather. IMO, it flows just as much air as my mesh jacket (which I haven't worn in over a year) and is so much more protective. And you can find a quality perforated leather jacket on closeout for the same or just a little more $$$ as a mesh jacket.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Anybody owned a Joe Rocket mesh? How is it during the summer?
This is the one I am looking at
2008_Joe_Rocket_Yamaha_Champion_Mesh_Jacket_Black_Black.jpg

I have that exact jacket in blue and black. It's a good winter jacket for here in San Diego. It's inner liner zips offset instead of the center so it stops air from coming in the center. I have a heavier Cortech canvas jack but it's terrible in the center (cold air) and in the cold early morning commute I have to where extra clothing. The Mesh Joe Rocket has 1 zip-out inner wind breaker type liner and the rest of the jacket is made of 2 meshes. The out side mesh is a coarser mesh while the inner mesh is a finer tighter mesh. There are 3 layers with the liner. It has the CE rated protectors.

Yes. I also want a leather Jacket maybe to match my leather track pants. I agree there's more protection from leather.

Where we ride, east if here, in the mountains and desert it gets really hot so I don't know how I'll do out there in leather in the summer.

KindredGhost

Reaction score
Visit site
I wear the phoenix 4. Keep in mind that textile disintegrates at anything faster than 80mph.... or so i'm told. I dunno, but i don't plan on finding out. But yeah, I'd recommend staying away from black. it'll absorb heat and keep you warmer. Go with a lighter color.

Don't be a squid and ride without gear though.

KG

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a white phoenix 4.0. It worked great keeping me cool, and the armor kept me safe, but it noticably frayed where it touched pavement at 5-10 mph.

Got-boost?

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it does its purpose to protect the rider if he bails, I don't have the same one but I do have a Joe Rocket mesh and I have seen them after a crash or so on the track they seem to hold up pretty nice.