Best chain lube in UK?

kamao

Reaction score
Visit site
What do you find to be the best chain lube available here? Seen alot of posts recommendeding the Dupont stuff, but can't seem to find that in uk?

I have tried some from Wurth, which wasn't too bad. Recently tried some Silkolene stuff which is *terrible*, as I keep my bike under a cover at the front of the house I seem to have a constant battle with chain rust etc. Any tips? It will be getting a deep clean this weekend hopefully, and just want to get some decent stuff on there (chain and sprockets were done less than 500 miles ago, and they look in a right state), thanks as always!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Mate,

Hein Gericke sell a chain lube in a yellow can (sorry I can't remember the name) it is a German product. I have used it and think its very good if a bit pricey £8.99.
It has minimal fling and great coverage.

Nelly

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
I would avoid the Hein Gericke stuff in a grey can, my chain rusted pretty quick despite being in my bike shed.

I have found the Shell Ultra Lube to be very good, and no more probs with rusting chain.

B

bluenova

I use MOTOREX CHAINLUBE 622 STRONG it works really well, it's white when it goes on so easy to apply as you can see where you started applying, then it goes transparent as it sets in. It stays on in the rain, I commute in the rain all the time and only lube when the chain starts to look a bit shiny. As long as you leave it for a couple of hours after applying there is practically no fling (just the usual gunk under the front sprocket cover to clear out every few months.

You can buy it from mandp.co.uk
http://www.mandp.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=511347
£7.99 for 500ml

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
I always used the Castrol chain wax but moved over to the Wurth..i'm thinking about going back to the castrol...

I find the wurth chain spray to be practically useless for the type of riding that I do, generally in the rain! The castrol would hold up alot longer before having to reapply it.

The only problem i found with the castrol that it would pick up all the dirt off the road...so you would have to clean it regularily.

Jedi

Pillion Boy no more!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Another vote for the Castrol chain wax from me, coats really well, cleans off nicely with parafin, and has good staying power.

I was originally using the Wurth "dry" lube, but found quite a bit of rust on the chain even when using the lube weekly.

The Silkolene stuff is just awful, flings off everywhere and is messy to apply.

Haven't tried the Wurth wax yet, mainly because it's hard to get hold of - compared to the Castrol stuff which is sold in every Halfords.

Castrol FTW.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I use MOTOREX CHAINLUBE 622 STRONG it works really well, it's white when it goes on so easy to apply as you can see where you started applying, then it goes transparent as it sets in. It stays on in the rain, I commute in the rain all the time and only lube when the chain starts to look a bit shiny. As long as you leave it for a couple of hours after applying there is practically no fling (just the usual gunk under the front sprocket cover to clear out every few months.

You can buy it from mandp.co.uk
http://www.mandp.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=511347
£7.99 for 500ml

I too use this motorex lube and have had no problems with it. I doubt sunny florida gets as much rain as you but I don't shy away from the rain. It does need a little drying time to "set up" so it won't fling as much but works well for me!

ClarkFZ6

Reaction score
www.sdmf.com
I use Kal Gard Chain Kote from M & P. Buy one get one free @ £7.99. Seems to do the job! Goes on thin to penetrate and then goes tacky to stay on the chain.

valet

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi I have done 34k miles on my FZ6 with original chain and normal grease!!!! Yes normal grease............ litle messy but it work chain look like new :thumbup: Just clean the wheel and all ok
Now got new 59 plate FZ6 S2 and plan to use the same stuff on new bike chain as well when factory white stuff flick off

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
Out in rural Suffolk we get a ton of mud on the roads, occasionally replaced by sand in dry weather. I was using Rock Oil lube which the sand stuck to and turned into an abrasive paste. I asked at the local bike shop what they recommended and they said why mess about? This stuff sticks even in the wet, doesn't hold on to sand but no visible fling:

Putoline Desert Chain Lube - Trial Magazine

Desert Chain Lube. It does exactly what it says on the (2 foot tall) tin. :thumbup:

v1jay

Reaction score
Visit site
I'v used Holts chain lube with good results, no problem as long as you leave it on for a while prior to riding [day before like, works well]... Only reason i switched to Castrol chain wax/lube is because my local Halfords ran out of Holts...

I have been using Castrol now for a while, and prolly stick with it.... its a good product albeit a little pricey...I have had no problems with Castrol wax/lube, as long as you apply it a while before like Holts - and i get very little fing too... Even after a heavy ride in the rain, Castrol Wax/Lube was still present on my chain... Holts, not so much... Castrol can be a bit sticky tho, picking up all kinds of crap on the road...

+1 on Castrol Lube/Wax;
+1 on Holts chain lube;

Both products are similarly prices too... cheers, vj

Fz6Daveg

Reaction score
Visit site
I have used Castol Wax lube and now currently using the MUC-OFF lube.

The other MUC-OFF range is good especially the de-greaser but i guess they sell a lot of that if you use their Lube :rolleyes:

I'm going back to the Castrol Wax Lube next time because the latter tends to spray lube all over the wheel and exhaust.

They are similar prices too at £8.99 or there abouts.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I use Kal Gard Chain Kote from M & P. Buy one get one free @ £7.99. Seems to do the job! Goes on thin to penetrate and then goes tacky to stay on the chain.
I've tried loads of them and decided I hate wax as it attracts crap and sticks all over the bike. Other than that I buy whatever is cheapest. And like Clark, that is the Kalgard. You get loads in a big can for buy one get one free, it goes on easy, soaks in easy and lasts a while. Good stuff.