Insurance costs

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey what does it cost you for insurance on your bike. Here im beautiful British Columbia it is going to cost me 800 dollars for 6 mos insurance. WOW.... That is with collision thou... is it worth while in you opinions to get collsion?

Dennis

S

stevew

collision?

Blimey! $800? That's about £400, sounds expensive for 6 months, but then I guess it works differently over there... however, if you don't get collision cover, odds are you'll have one and won't be covered, so probably worth it. We have something similar here, you can go for the cheaper option but won't get anything for your bike's damage or more importantly, anything for yourself! So I always go for the full monty version.

I've just found out it won't cover me on a track day though... tsch! Red tape hey?! :rolleyes:

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Insured my baby

I insured my baby for seven months.... Till the end of Sept cost................................ Sitting down............................................................... $860.00 dollars. ouch... but that first ride of the season.... Sigh... Love my bike!!

C

cdn_camaro

Hey Dennis. I'm a first time rider, in Calgary, and a broker found me a rate with the insurance company my partner uses. Jevco, their rate for full coverage, $250 ded on all perils and $250 ded on collision and it's $623. a year. A far cry from the $1790.00 TD Insurance wanted. Now one broker I spoke with said that Jevco won't insure the FZ6, but another broker I talked to, who knows motorcycle insurance and rides himself, said that the fz6 isn't on Jevco's bad bike list and thus, they are covering me. Also, I hear of another insurance company in Canada called Nordic, that is also very low. These are companies that concentrate on the motorcycle market and so far I'm impressed.

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
I have traffic insurance and collision damage insurance and it costs me about 950 euros per year (1240 $ / 630 £) :eek: . And that includes all the discounts I get. Even in my car I have cheaper insurance. :(

The pricing is based on the power/weight ratio which makes the cost a bit higher with FZ6 <- light weight + relatively much power. You know what I mean? The insurance is valid (is that the right term?) for the whole year around, so if I wanted (which I don't) to go riding in middle of January, it would be okay.

W

wrightme43

My quote is $423 per 6 months. 250 deductable, under insured, un insured, 100k Medical.
I am 33 one accident (i was not at fault) 0 tickets since I was 23.
State farm. They have my truck, renters policy, and my girlfriends truck as well.

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
Visit site
In my opinion, getting collision is wise. It would stink to slide on road sand and get $3,000 of scratches/parts not covered!

Shop around, and nobody should forget he's using those cheaper Canadian dollars :p

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My quote is $423 per 6 months. 250 deductable, under insured, un insured, 100k Medical.
I am 33 one accident (i was not at fault) 0 tickets since I was 23.
State farm. They have my truck, renters policy, and my girlfriends truck as well.

Hey, I'm with State Farm in Nevada and they said they don't offer the medical option on motorcycles. Wonder if it varies from state to state. I had it when I had my truck. Does Nationwide or any other company offer this option?

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Fully comprehensive insurance for me .. 37 yr old new biker with 6 points on my license !! 3 points per speeding offence !! how bad am I !! cost me £326 (aprox $650) for the year.
I thought that was quite reasonable considering my speeding history ! ... I'm much slower on a bike !!! honest your honour :D

2 more speeding offences in the UK means instant :ban: :mad: I have to be careful lol

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
$184 per year in my part of CA with $250 deductible on comp and collision.

(I have a spotless record, plus mutiple car discount and home/fire all with Farmers).

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Some of ya'll are paying way too much. At least i know i wouldnt be paying close to 1/8th the cost of the bike, just for one yaer insurance. That seems like a rediculous price. I pay 12 dollars a month through Allstate Insurance. That includes comp, collision, and flood. (It rains a lot down here) I would only be paying 10 a month but i wanted the theft coverage as well. Once i hit 25 my rate will go down to 9 dollars or so.

I first thought i was getting shafted on my rates considering my dad has full coverage, plus everything else, (theft, flood, ect.) on his $35,000 harley Davidson and he only pays 89 dollars a year.

Thanks to you guys i dont feel so bad anymore......:thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm paying about $600 a year. Las Vegas has one of the highest vehicle insurance rates in the country, and leads the nation in stolen vehicles. I was actually looking to see if any of you had an option to aquire the medical coverage on the bike. Meaning that if you ever to get hurt riding, your medical expenses would be covered for you and your passanger. As far as the insurance rates in Texas....UNBELIEVABLE.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fully comprehensive insurance for me .. 37 yr old new biker with 6 points on my license !! 3 points per speeding offence !! how bad am I !! cost me £326 (aprox $650) for the year.
I thought that was quite reasonable considering my speeding history ! ... I'm much slower on a bike !!! honest your honour :D

2 more speeding offences in the UK means instant :ban: :mad: I have to be careful lol
Hi mate, £180.00 fully comp via red star (36 years young). No points. I have a recently attended speed awareness course, this means if I get done for speeding in the next three years I will get double the points ahhhhhhh. It’s a pain I went to work and the road was posted 40mph. I came home and it was posted 30mph injustice. In the UK as health care is paid via your salary through a NHI (national health scheme) health care is essentially free. (Emergency healthcare is essentially free for visitors to)
In UK law you are only required to have insurance that covers a third party (person or property your pillion could also claim on this) Third party only insurance on my FZ6 (06) was £90.00 per year (if garaged) The other option is third party, fire & theft. (self explanatory) FZ6 (06) £125.00 per year. The final option is fully comprehensive. This covers you & the third party as well as fire and theft. For a very small premium you can protect your no claims bonus which essentially works out to be collision damage cover. This is a very basic overview. Oh yeah the fewer points and level of experience also reduce premiums. Generally speaking so can age, the golden age seems to be 25 for cagers and 28 for bikes.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
One of the main reasons I went with the FZ6 was the insurance. A sport bike would have ran me close to $200 a month for comp and coll, where as the FZ6 is $40 a month for the same. I also have a perfect record and am 33 years old.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Geez, you guys are making me feel like such a kid.....I'm only 24 and I can't wait for my birthday next march. Right now I'm paying $87 per month for coverage on the bike, but as soon as I hit 25 it drops to $17/month and my car insurance takes a nice little drop as well. But after 25 that's it, i think i'll just stop having birthdays. Of course I said the same thing at 16, 18, and 21.....man, this getting older thing sucks.

Last edited:

Drevenflow

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got mine, and it was quite reasonable. 20th Century, $279/6 months. I've got collision, uninsured motorist, medical etc w/ $250 decutible. Not the cheapie, more like #2 or #3 on the list. Not bad at all!