Michelin Pilot Road mileage update

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
I put a Michelin Pilot Road on the rear at 3,000 miles, after getting my second puncture in less than 2 months. I had the first puncture professionally patched, but decided not to patch it a second time...what a heartbreak to discard a tire with only 3,000 miles on it. But my safety and welfare comes first. So...I put a Michelin Pilot Road on the rear at 3,000 miles. I've had excellent wear and success with this tire on my BMW's.

I can now report that I have 12,000 miles on this rear tire and recently replaced the front OEM Bridgestone with a Michelin. I still have at least 3,000 miles remaining on that rear tire tread.

I love the way these Michelins handle. I've run on Michelins, Bridgestones, Dunlops, and Conti Attacks and by far the Michelin handles the best, in my opinion. It is the least susceptible to "tracking" on grated or grooved pavement, gives excellent grip on wet and dry pavement, and feels very sure-footed when riding aggressively in curves.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear that I should get a few more out of my Pilot Roads then. I'm at ~7k miles on mine and figured I had about 3-4k more to go, maybe I'm underestimating which I would be ok with.

The thing I like is that even this far into the life there's basically no squaring of the rear. Not like the stock Dunlop which was about done at 4500 miles and had two corners on it.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the review! The stock BT020's I am running track like crazy IMO.

Good to hear this comment as the majority of my miles are on grooved pavement, so that is the most critical attribute I'm looking for in the next set of tires.

W

wrightme43

Thanks for the update. If I can ever wear out a front and rear storm at close to the same time I will be swapping over to Michelin.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the update.

I fitted PRII's on mine about 600-800 miles ago. Love 'em. They really do inspire confidence. It'll be nice to (hopefully) get double the mileage the stock flops gave me. And to get that mileage and better performance? Forgettaboutit! :rockon:

Great rubber folks. Order a set now. Motoxoutlet had the best prices I could find online... $306.98 Shipped to VA.

(oh, and make friends with somebody that has a No-Mar tire "machine" -- it makes life eeeeaaaasy... and quite a bit cheaper too.)

Last edited:

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the update.

I fitted PRII's on mine about 600-800 miles ago. Love 'em. They really do inspire confidence. It'll be nice to (hopefully) get double the mileage the stock flops gave me. And to get that mileage and better performance? Forgettaboutit! :rockon:

Great rubber folks. Order a set now. Motoxoutlet had the best prices I could find online... $306.98 Shipped to VA.

(oh, and make friends with somebody that has a No-Mar tire "machine" -- it makes life eeeeaaaasy... and quite a bit cheaper too.)

I have RP2 on my other bike, but the FZ6 has the Avon Storms ST and they simply trounce the alternatives. The rear lasts about 5,500 miles on the FZ6 but I would expect the PR2 to go up to 7,000 if you ride mainly with 42 psi in them. The hard rubber in the middle really helps the tire life on the RP2.

I have heard on some forums, when really pushed, the RP2 have a slight slide during the transition in turns, as the tire is made of two different types of rubber going from hard in the middle to softer on the sides.

I don't worry, since I am not aggressive on the streets :)

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Never heard of any problems with the PR2's when ridden hard. They are great on my FJR which is well over 200lbs more than the FZ. Yep I pushed them hard, real hard. Stick like glue to the end.