FZ6N Conversion

gharris66

Reaction score
Visit site
Since i have officially parted with actual money from my wallet, it's time to officially kick off my naked conversion.

I plan to post many pictures and ask you guys a lot of questions. This is my 6th bike, but have done very few mods on any of them.

I sold my 2003 CBR600 in 2006 and went way to long without a bike. I picked up a 2005 FZ6 back in August for $3k. The bike has 2000 miles on it and is in pretty good shape. The fairing had a bunch of cracked plastic, and there are some signs of scraping on the right side.

Here's a few pictures. I need to take a better full body shot.

View attachment 14722

View attachment 14723

View attachment 14724

View attachment 14725

View attachment 14726

I've been going through all the threads on the naked conversion and have ordered some stuff to get started.

First is the FZ1N headlight. I have the parts on order from Chris at FlatOut Cycles and hope to have the parts soon.

The parts list and info is posted on another thread @ http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-streetfighter/13504-fz1n-headlight-parts-list-2.html#post174015

I also picked up:

- FAZR6 FE kit
- 1 x Bar Ends / Handlebar Caps (MA502) = $35.00 @ PJs
- 1 x Rizoma Sportline Billet Grips (GR205) = $59.00 @ PJs

I was going to go with the Rizoma mirrors but decided to try an experiment first. For $35 I got a pair of Mirrors with turn signals in them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0301887806&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT&viewitem=

Has anyone installed anything like this on the FZ6?

View attachment 14727

I also got some new levers that have mirror mounts in them. Not sure if this is best idea, but I can throw away a few bucks. They were cheap enough.

Anybody have thoughts on best way to fix dent in tank and the other frame scratches?

I also plan to paint the tank black, and ordered some black radiator covers.

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

What levers did you get? I've been hunting for a set with built in mirror mounts and haven't had much luck. Link appreciated.

Seconding that. I dont like my bar end mirrors very much. Makes the bike feel to wide and I worry about tapping one in traffic.

gharris66

Reaction score
Visit site
http://www.flyncycle.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=LVR001LNG

Here's a description on their Ebay Store that says it has mirror mounts. I bought from their site and it doesn't say anything about the mirror mounts there. Same part number though.

lvr001lng_di.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIV...ryZ35592QQihZ024QQitemZ370172032769QQtcZphoto

W

wrightme43

Looks like it will work for clutch, brake side though not so much.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the link.

As for your original questions....
I've got a set of turn signal mirrors as well, there's nothing fancy to wiring them in, just connect them in series to the front signals when you rewire everything. My opinion is that mirror signals are a good addition and not a replacement for primary blinkers on either side of the headlight. They just don't seem bright enough to grab everyone's attention, particularly in bright daylight. At night they are nice because they are up and away from the headlight, giving the cagers an additional point that's easier to see.

This may or may not apply in your case, but if you switch out your stock signals for LEDs you'll end up with a rapid blink. You can get a normal blink back by either wiring in a couple 20watt/5-10ohm resistors or buying a LED flasher relay. I recommend getting the relay, the resistors are about the size of a pack of gum (each), generate a lot of heat, and just plain get in the way/make your wiring look bad.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like it will work for clutch, brake side though not so much.

I've been contemplating just drilling out that nub sitting on the side of the brake reservoir and threading it to fit 10mm. But then I'd have mismatched levers. Maybe painting the brake side black would match them close enough? It's only 20 buck so I ordered a pair too, I'll let you know how it goes.

gharris66

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, I noticed the threads about the rapid blink and saved some of the info in case. Thanks for the link.

One mod that someone did that was interesting was to put flush mount signals where the holes are from the fairing brackets. I'm not sure how visible they are though.

Thanks for the link.

As for your original questions....
I've got a set of turn signal mirrors as well, there's nothing fancy to wiring them in, just connect them in series to the front signals when you rewire everything. My opinion is that mirror signals are a good addition and not a replacement for primary blinkers on either side of the headlight. They just don't seem bright enough to grab everyone's attention, particularly in bright daylight. At night they are nice because they are up and away from the headlight, giving the cagers an additional point that's easier to see.

This may or may not apply in your case, but if you switch out your stock signals for LEDs you'll end up with a rapid blink. You can get a normal blink back by either wiring in a couple 20watt/5-10ohm resistors or buying a LED flasher relay. I recommend getting the relay, the resistors are about the size of a pack of gum (each), generate a lot of heat, and just plain get in the way/make your wiring look bad.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
could you buy the levers from a FZ6N to mount mirrors to? I bought some bar clamps from fly n cycles...haven't put them on yet.......

gharris66

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, first change of direction....

After careful consideration, I decided not to install the FZ1N headlight kit. Since I don't know how ling it will take to get, and it cost $500, and it will be a more difficult install on the FZ6, I scrapped it.

Instead, I purchased a new V-Rod headlight on Ebay.

View attachment 14102 View attachment 14103

I really like what Seanie on the SBN forum did. Looks awesome and different.

View attachment 14104

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/fz6-mods/381063-v-rod-headlight-install.html

The new headlight cost me $249 with the chrome visor which I can sell probably for $30 - $50.

I got some brackets coming, but plan to fabricate ones similar to what he has done.

Thoughts?

gharris66

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, first screw up.

I wasn't paying attention and ordered 38mm headlight brackets. I grabbed the size off the Aztec8 site, and realized now that they are referring to the FZR600 which must be different size.

http://www.aztec8.com/id79.html

Unfortunately I can't find 43mm anywhere offline, so will have to order and wait.

I also need to get the proper connectors for the V-Rod headlight. I didn't get the wiring harness with it and the Harley dealer doesn't stock.

I guess I'll be working on the levers, grips and radiator covers instead...

gharris66

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been contemplating just drilling out that nub sitting on the side of the brake reservoir and threading it to fit 10mm. But then I'd have mismatched levers. Maybe painting the brake side black would match them close enough? It's only 20 buck so I ordered a pair too, I'll let you know how it goes.
Shaggy, you get these installed? Any input would be appreciated. Looks like I'm going to attempt this weekend.

gharris66

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I got the fender eliminator installed, but unfortunately I bought the bike with a cracked license plate light cover. Looks like I'll need to replace that.

View attachment 14572

I also installed Radiator covers, and put flush mount LEDs where the fairing brackets were. I haven't decided if I want to use them as flashers or running lights. They are wired as flashers for now.

View attachment 14571 View attachment 14570

I also started playing around with the speedo bracket. I am installing a mini fairing so I don't need something pretty. I'll cut it down and drill some holes.

View attachment 14573 View attachment 14574

Looks like I also bought the wrong bar-ends from PJs. We need threaded ones I think but these have the rubber inserts.

Headlight bracket and mini fairing coming Monday and will have installed quickly.

Also, some recommendations for levers and mirror brackets would be welcome. I think these cheapies I bought are pretty worthless.

gharris66

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the bikini fairing parts and like the way it's looking. There are some pics on another thread I started to get some opinions.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-streetfighter/14283-bikini-fairing-opinions.html

I'm going with the SV-650 naked fairing and the VRod headlight. I also picked up some nice looking for clamps for the headlight.

View attachment 14728

View attachment 14729

The mirrors came yesterday and look cool. I'm not sure if the wires will ruin the look though. I wasn't really able to use the cheap lever I got som I need to order some nice ones and mirror clamps. I'm considering drilling out the brake side mount like Shaggy did.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/13974-generic-levers-w-mirror-mounts-installed.html

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
I really like the look and fit, but not so sure about the color... yellow and silver?