Still on your stock tires?

fzinger

Urban Cowboy
Reaction score
Visit site
If so, you don't know what you're missing!

I really didn't think to much of the stock Dunlop D252s on my bike. I understand the general consensus is that the Bridgestone BT-020 is a slightly better OEM tire for the bike. Anyway, they worked ok, didn't really give me much to complain about. I'm an average rider with about 4100 trouble-free miles logged on my fizzer.

So I decided it was time to treat myself to some new rubber. Have heard wonderful things about the Bridgestone BT-016s, so I found a good deal and got em mounted up...

***of course there are tons of great choices out there besides these, just let your driving style and wallet guide you to your destination***

This is without a doubt the best money I've spent on the bike to date. To anyone with a relatively low mileage bike who hasn't experienced better tires, you really don't know how much better of choices exist. You will grin ear to ear once you get the stock set replaced! :D

Wet & dry traction, cornering grip, ride quality, ALL of these are markedly improved, and that's with only ~250 miles of riding so far!

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
Still on the stockers here. I'm counting the miles and eyeing the tread. There's still too much tread left for me to justify a new set of tires. As my riding has gotten more and more aggressive, I have gotten the tires to step out from time to time. The front more so than the rear.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick some Diablo Stradas on her, but that may change :) I really can't wait to stick some new rubber on her and let it 'er rip...once I scrub them in of course!!

W

wrightme43

Tread depth doesnt matter a bit if the bike is wrecked cause of crappy tires. Know what I mean?

It the front or rear is stepping out on the street you are really close to paying your deductable, which is oddly enough usually more than a set of tires.

I have lost traction exactly twice in over 26k miles. Levered the rear tire off the ground with the centerstand (crash) and 2cnd in the pouring rain passing a semi. (should of been third)

Not knocking you, just trying to help you justify and understand the risk vs reward of new tires.

fzinger

Urban Cowboy
Reaction score
Visit site
As my riding has gotten more and more aggressive, I have gotten the tires to step out from time to time. The front more so than the rear.

That's EXACTLY what I was getting at. You're already at the limits of your stock set. The difference in road handling and overall grip is amazing. I almost feel like improved tires should be thought of as an additional piece of safety gear.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Stockers here as well... Why doesn't Yamaha just throw a set of these on from the factory and add $$$ to the sticker of the bike? They'd get a bulk deal, spend less on the tire, be able to charge more for the bike, get a better handling bike...??? One of those mysteries I guess.

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea I am nearing 6k miles since new in August. The stockers are holding up well (tread-wise), but there have been a couple times where the rear has gotten loose mid-corner for me. One time I was dragging my peg (slightly scary). I am really considering upgrading soon.

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah stock here as well. I have almost 8000 miles on then (BT014) and I purchased set of Pirelli Diablo Strada's, high mileage/high grip tires...:rockon: Getting them installed this Saturday along with new x-ring chain, sprockets, front brakes, and 16k miles service. I can't wait. Will post pics and let you all know how it goes.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I have 2,400 miles on my stock Dunlops, but I'm constantly researching and reading to determine which tire I'll be upgrading to.

I'm a fairly conservative rider, so I have yet to experience any losses of traction.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! I'm still riding on the stock BT-020's but, as Ozzieboy pointed out they will need to be replaced soon as the back is beyond chicken-stripped.

I have gotten 11k miles out of the BT-020's with no complaints yet about gripping (except in diesel fuel :(). I'm sure I'll notice the difference once I upgrade though. Thanks!

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just bought a set of Pilot Power 2CTs waiting to get them mounted. I am still on the stock tires.... Got every KM I could out of them

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Stock here but I've only had the this bike one season. When they do wear out, I'll be exhausting the "Search" function here looking for opinions like this! Thanks for the heads-up! :thumbup:

W

wrightme43

I have been thinking about this all day. If your losing traction no matter what the tire you need to change your riding style. All tires have a certain amount of traction. It doesnt matter if you swap to a stickier tire, you will still lose traction just at a higher load on the tire.

Get some books on proper riding inputs.

Still there are alot better tires than the factory tires, but traction loss is traction loss its not the tires fault, its the riders fault. He/she has done something that does not agree with motorcycle design or asked for more than the 100 points of traction available to the rider at that time.

Blazin FZ6

nOObie
Reaction score
Visit site
I wish I would have known about this forum and the search function before I replaced my rear tire.
The second day after purchasing my bike, I found a nasty screw in the tire and obviously had to buy a new one. :mad:
Anyway, I ended up with another rear stocker because I was impatient, but I will be trying out a new one when this tire wears out and when I need a new front shortly!

Thanks for the info!

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
Tread depth doesnt matter a bit if the bike is wrecked cause of crappy tires. Know what I mean?

I have been thinking about this all day. If your losing traction no matter what the tire you need to change your riding style. All tires have a certain amount of traction. It doesnt matter if you swap to a stickier tire, you will still lose traction just at a higher load on the tire.

Having my tire step out ever so slightly got me to thinking about how I was taking the turn in question. And it got me to thinking about remaining completely upright throughout the turn as I usually do. The relaxed riding position of our bikes doesn't really lend itself to the shifting of body weight easily into the turns. That's a reason why a lot of us have gone to lower bars and rearsets I suspect. All in all, it got me to thinking. A) take the corner at a more prudent speed and B) don't take that turn or any others any more aggressively until my skill improves.

It got me to considering the advanced MSF course and Total Control courses. It also got me to toying w/shifting my upper body down and into the turn, which feels like it reduces my lean. I need to find a nice empty parking lot to really toy with it as on the street I'm asking for paying out that deductible as you mentioned.

Thanks for your input :)

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
Having my tire step out ever so slightly got me to thinking about how I was taking the turn in question. And it got me to thinking about remaining completely upright throughout the turn as I usually do. The relaxed riding position of our bikes doesn't really lend itself to the shifting of body weight easily into the turns. That's a reason why a lot of us have gone to lower bars and rearsets I suspect. All in all, it got me to thinking. A) take the corner at a more prudent speed and B) don't take that turn or any others any more aggressively until my skill improves.

It got me to considering the advanced MSF course and Total Control courses. It also got me to toying w/shifting my upper body down and into the turn, which feels like it reduces my lean. I need to find a nice empty parking lot to really toy with it as on the street I'm asking for paying out that deductible as you mentioned.

Thanks for your input :)

The thing that I always consider taking a turn is this; either I go slow enough that the tires hold or I go too fast and slide out. I've never done a low side so I'm not sure exactly how far I have to lean before the bike loses grip. Either way I'd much rather tap the brakes then suddenly figure out I leaned too far.

I put a brand new Pilot Power tire on the front three days ago and after each ride I look at the tire to see how much of a chicken strip I have left. That way I can somewhat gauge how far I leaned and judge how sticky the tire is. I did 700 miles in the past 3 days including some mountain roads and I can say the chicken strip is almost totally gone and I even though I tested my nerves a few times the tire and bike stayed stuck to the road at all times.

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
I put a brand new Pilot Power tire on the front three days ago and after each ride I look at the tire to see how much of a chicken strip I have left.

The more I think about it, it feels like I'm reaching the limits of my skill at this point more so than the limits of the tires. There's maybe 1/8" I haven't scrubbed in good on the rear. I think this is mostly from sitting high in the seat and simply leaning. I'm thinking an improvement in style will leave a wider strip, and a lot more stability in the corners.

It's so nice to have great people to bounce ideas off. I may sound like a tool, but oh, well :)

ClarkFZ6

Reaction score
www.sdmf.com
I'm not worried about getting rid of the chicken strips - I just ride comfortably and if I manage to lean a bit further then so be it. I'm up to 7100 miles on stock Bridgestones. Hoping to get to 8000-9000 miles. Mainly commuting miles so they are wearing in the center.

Planning on going for the Pilot Road 2 set as I've read nothing but good reviews on them and I think they'll suit my riding.