Bridgestone BT016 Review

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
Had the new Stone's mounted up at my local cycle gear Thursday before last. Now they have a little over 1000 miles so I figured it's good time for a review. First thing I will say was while they were being balanced the quality of both the tires and the Yamaha wheels was evident. Rear took no weight at all to balance out and the front only took 1/4 ounce.

Once I got them on the bike and scrubbed in it was time to hit the mountains. First thing I noticed was the difference in handling from the 020 Sport Touring tire to the 016 SuperSport. The 020 IMHO handled better at parking lot speed being a little more "stable" but I am sure it will be better once I get used to the much more aggressive profile of the 016. At any kind of speed however from 20mph switchbacks to 70mph sweepers the 016 are absolutely AWESOME! Turn in is much easier, there is much less bar input needed to make the same turns with the 016. Almost have to be a little careful as they will dive off into a corner if you just "think" about it. :rockon:

The grip compared to the 020 is spectacular. Once I was feeling a little comfortable on the new rubber I started to push them to see just how far I could go.....I was unable to find their limitations. The triple compound on the rear just continues to grip no matter what. Being the first warm weekend of the year in the mountains a few of the roads were still rough with gravel and dirt from the snowfall and melt. Even under some of the worst conditions I have ridden they remained very stable. A few times they did step out just a bit but as quickly as they started they found another band of compound or better asphalt and gripped right back. If you weren't aware you'd never even notice they had missed a beat. Traction in all the bamds from center out is better than the 020 even the center strip. I rolled the throttle down leaving the house the second day and wound first out and shifted 2nd at WOT it brought the front up about the height the windscreen would normally be and carried it until I shifted into 3rd.....never ever did that with the 020 and I weigh 250lb. Only time will tell what that means for longevity but as long as I get 6000 miles I won't complain a bit and will buy them again.

Didn't get to ride them in the rain but did hit a few wet spots in the shade of the moutains and they performed as if it was dry even in the corners.They also get up to good temp twice as fast as the 020.

The only negative thing I can say right now is under very heavy braking the rear seems to break loose a little easier than the 020 but the front holds strong even in an emergency which I had twice over my 800 mile mountain weekend. :eek:

Overall they get five out of five stars in my book for everyday riding and tearing up the moutains on the weekends. If I didn't have so many tight twisties close to home I would probably look harder at the 021 but for what I do and where I ride the 016 is a perfect balance. :thumbup::thumbup:

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's the pics as they are now.
hollywood416-albums-hollywood416-s-album-picture2830-bt016-1.jpg

Rear closeup
hollywood416-albums-hollywood416-s-album-picture2831-bt016-2.jpg

Front
hollywood416-albums-hollywood416-s-album-picture2832-bt016-3.jpg

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a set months ago when they were $200/set, and I still haven't mounted them.
Can't wait though.

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
the lack of chicken strips says enough really. Ive always wanted a sportier tyre due to the nature of my riding and the roads around my area. Think im gonna get them next.

They wont last quite as long but it will be worth it.

If its good enough for an R6/R1 its good enough for me

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
That is pretty much what my review would be. The grip is so freaking good that once or twice I locked my rear and the bike slid in a straight line instead of sideways drift with the stockers.

fzwing

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the review. :thumbup:
I like the Stones & have a set both of my bikes.
I need to use up my FZ6 stockers so I can get a set of these babies!! :rockon:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
My review, like Crazybiker, would be exactly what the OP said too. I came from the stock 020's too and these 016's are worlds better when it comes to grip and turn in. And what you said about having to be careful about the turn in because all you have to do is think about it...that's completely true.

Out of curiosity, Hollywood, what kind of swingarm and fork spools are you using?

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
My review, like Crazybiker, would be exactly what the OP said too. I came from the stock 020's too and these 016's are worlds better when it comes to grip and turn in. And what you said about having to be careful about the turn in because all you have to do is think about it...that's completely true.

Out of curiosity, Hollywood, what kind of swingarm and fork spools are you using?

Swingarm sliders are actually just the compression type bar ends they sell at cycle gear and the fork spools are also from there 8mm type with a SS threaded rod through the hollow axle holding them on also used couple pieces of alum. spacer on the inside to keep them from shifting in the event of a crash that part is probably overkill but it might help. :thumbup:

MRGM

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a set of 016's put on the fizzer Friday. Put a few hundred miles on them so far, and they are SO much better than the stock tires.

I like to ride the curves as much as possible in this pancake state of Michigan, but there are some good places around. These tires are much more planted than the stock BT020.

Caught up with a ZX6 at a nice freeway interchange today. It's a cloverleaf so you can ride in circles around it for hours if you want. With these new tires, I was scraping my pegs and leaving him behind!

Here's a couple of pictures.

mrgm-albums-misc-pictures-picture3401-bridgestone-bt016-180-55-17.jpg

mrgm-albums-misc-pictures-picture3402-bridgestone-bt016-120-70-17.jpg

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
After reading these reviews, it makes me feel pretty good about buying mine. I just ordered a set of the 016's today and will get them this Wednesday or Thursday. The price wasn't bad compared to a lot of other tires. I managed just under 12000 miles on the stock Dunlops.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I mounted the front BT-016 last week and took it on a ride to break it in.

Even though it was brand new, it felt very stable and sticky. The only problem I had was that the front brake felt like a sponge for the first 20 miles, but after that it was great.

Can't wait until I mount the rear.