Wide view mirror?

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone here ever added or fashioned a wide view mirror of any kind for their bike? I was thinking of somehow attaching a small angled mirror inside the fairing that would give me a view of the blind spot. The head check really scares me sometimes in heavy traffic, especially at higher speeds with the wind catching my helmet. Please share any suggestions, recommendations for or against, pictures, plans, etc.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone here ever added or fashioned a wide view mirror of any kind for their bike? I was thinking of somehow attaching a small angled mirror inside the fairing that would give me a view of the blind spot. The head check really scares me sometimes in heavy traffic, especially at higher speeds with the wind catching my helmet. Please share any suggestions, recommendations for or against, pictures, plans, etc.

I know what you mean about blind spots. But I would never use a mirror in place of a 'Lifesaver' look over your shoulder.

Agree with the little stick on convex mirrors may help. But they do skew the size/ image of what's behind.

S

sportrider

I don't know your experiance level but maybe you would benifeit from some slower paced practice in uncongested areas. till you get more confident in traffic.
pedwards89 said:
I know what you mean about blind spots. But I would never use a mirror in place of a 'Lifesaver' look over your shoulder.

Agree with the little stick on convex mirrors may help. But they do skew the size/ image of what's behind.
+1 I always look over my shoulder, remember its the cage that you don't see is the one that gets you.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The first couple of times the windblast catches your helmet on the Interstate are pretty scary, but you'll get used to it! :thumbup:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Blind spots?? just turn your damn head once in a while! ;) It's a fact and a necessity of riding/driving.

I have seen some riders with those little sitck on, circular convex mirrors you can get at auto stores. They stick em in the lower far edges of their mirrors. Those might help but a mirror or any other 'device' is no substitution for a shoulder check I'm affraid. Get used to it. You'll be safer for it.

As a side note, I could never figure out why some ppl complain about the FZ6's mirrors and look for replacements. They are by far some of the best 'functional' mirrors you will ever find on a bike!

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

What type of helmet are you using?
I have a HJC that I use for passengers that sucks when I turn my head at speed. Its heavy, and really catches the wind.
My Shark and Nitro helmets dont do that near as bad.

Just a thought.

S

sportrider

Blind spots?? just turn your damn head once in a while! ;) It's a fact and a necessity of riding/driving.

I have seen some riders with those little sitck on, circular convex mirrors you can get at auto stores. They stick em in the lower far edges of their mirrors. Those might help but a mirror or any other 'device' is no substitution for a shoulder check I'm affraid. Get used to it. You'll be safer for it.

As a side note, I could never figure out why some ppl complain about the FZ6's mirrors and look for replacements. They are by far some of the best 'functional' mirrors you will ever find on a bike!
+1 :thumbup:

deljs

Reaction score
Visit site
I regularly do head turns for the blindspots, and I agree that the FZ6 stock mirrors are quite functional, but with a helmet on, I can not see directly behind me - especially with the ol' lady on back. Moving from one side of the lane to the other helps some. I don't want to get popped for an eluding when I simply couldn't see him behind me!

I tried those small convex mirrors. They are mostly ineffective (too small & not convex enough) and actually just clutter my view. Any ideas on how to get the double-stick tape on those small mirrors to release?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Totally agree:rockon:

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bo67

My FZ6 is the first bike I've had in quite a while with fairing mounted mirrors. They're not bad at all but I prefer the bar mounted mirrors personally. As for adhesive removal: The day I brought my bike home I removed the obligatory "wear your helmet, don't drink and ride etc..." sticker from the tank. I used lighter fluid and my wife's hair dryer. That setup has worked for years for me. Some people like to use heat guns but those things get super hot and can melt the paint if you're not real careful. I clean up any adhesive residue with that Goo Gone citrus cleaner. It works pretty good.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Saw another gadget today whilst browsing in the Hein Gericke shop in Birmingham. It was basically a convex mirror that mounted on the existing mirror stem. So, you have the two mirrors mounted on the same stem.

That said, it was a nasty POS. Cheaply made, badly packaged & would look vile if fitted. :(

thealiasofMarc

Reaction score
Visit site
The head check really scares me sometimes in heavy traffic, especially at higher speeds with the wind catching my helmet.

I wouldn't trust a mirror over a head check, just know what's going on in front of you before you turn your head.

Here is my advice to you: BUY A LIGHTER HELMET! It's going to cost more, but it will be worth it. I just upgraded from some cheap KBC helmet to a HJC AC-12 Carbon (carbon fiber) helmet, and it makes head checks so much easier... do yourself the favor. (You can justify the purchase as an investment in safety) ;)

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think I made myself very clear in my first post. I am not suggesting substituting a mirror for a head check. I do a head check everytime I change lanes whether I am in my car or on my bike or even in my truck, which has wide view towing mirrors on both sides. I'm just saying if you can avoid a situation where you take your eyes off the car in front of you, especially in heavy traffic and/or at high speed, you should. A wide view mirror would prevent that when you look in it and see a car there. If you don't see a car there, it doesn't mean there isn't one and you still have to look over your shoulder. A wide view mirror would just cut down on the number of times you have to do it. By the way, I recently bought a Shoei Multitec helmet and it helped alot. There is much less torsion and movement when turning my head at high speed.