Votes: 33 32.7%

• Total voters

martin_nj

Reaction score
Visit site
i've never ridden one, only heard youtube vids =[

so owners, please vote!

FZ6-
On the downside, the fuel-injected engine is buzzy to the point of being annoying, and the powerband, with its 13,000-rpm-plus redline, is a bit peaky for the likely intended buyer. The biggest letdown, though, is glitchy off/on throttle response. “Just when you want the engine to respond smoothest—settling the chassis on corner entry after releasing the brakes—the power comes in abruptly,” Hoyer noted. Clutch action and feel, however, are as good as the silky-shifting transmission.

Funky Larma

Reaction score
Visit site
I have noticed a slight buzz through the pegs at some engine speeds, but more when engine cold. Apart from that nothing major to report.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
I would say that it really becomes noticable around 6000rpms, peaks at 7000rpms and falls back to normal levels after 8000rpms. It makes 90mph a little uncomfortable for long stretches.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Sometimes in the 5500 RPM area but I really don't notice it. With handlebars, bar-end weights, and gloves, it's mostly killed off. You can feel a little through the seat but it has never been an issue with leather pants on.
________
Colorado dispensaries

Last edited:

martin_nj

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks guys for the replies...

do you wear earplugs? how's the sound at those RPMs mentioned above?

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I wear earplugs 95% of the time but that is mostly for wind noise. There is a thread/poll on this forum about just that. Our bike is uber quiet though......
________
hairy Webcams

Last edited:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, my ear plugs are mostly for wind noise (I have a modular helmet), can't even hear the engine on the Interstate.

I can feel a buzz from about 5,000 to 6,000 rpm, but I don't feel it thru the handlebars or seat, I distinctly feel it thru the tank :)Flash: woohoo! :Flash:) :eek:
I think the motor still has Yamalube 20w40 in it; on other threads its been said that a synthetic 15w50 really reduces the vibes, that's what I'll be putting in it in the next 600 miles or so.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I get serious nut rattle from 5-7K. It was alot worse until i got it Dyno tuned last month. I can live with the vibs I have now!

Last edited:

g_general

StarFrazed
Reaction score
Visit site
It is slight buzzy between 6000 rpm to 7000 rpm especially when engine is cold. It gets less buzzy when engine gets hot.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
They are less buzzy then a Buell Blast at any RPM. ESPECIALLY above 7K.

I'm not sure the FZ6 is even competing with the Blast!

Jeremiah

Reaction score
Visit site
OP: I'm pretty sure the article you're quoting is from the '06 or earlier model. In '07 they upgraded a bunch of "little" things - including the fuel injection mapping (and added an o2 sensor). Not sure how / if this effected the "buzzing" (I use quotes because I think the 08 engine I have is smooth as silk), but I've heard reports this fixed the on/off throttle issues the article is referring to. I've never noticed any on/off throttle issues - again - smooth as silk to me.

I'd still love to ride an SV or 650R so I can see what the difference is, but what sold the bike for me is:
* Upright ergonomics with wind screen for vastly superior comfort on longer trips
* Center stand
* Better front break calipers
* Valve adjustment only has to be done every 25,000 miles. If that's not tight quality control from the manufacturer - I don't know what is.
* Nearly 90HP at the wheel, and still low insurance rates
* Mild engine characteristics below 6k, and rocket-hard-acceleration (if needed) above that to 14,000 RPM.
* Looks of bike & sound of stock exhaust

H

HavBlue

Will a Buell Blast even rev as high as 7k?

Fred

Sure will Fred. The Buell Blast has a peak HP of 34@6,500rpm and it isn't too far off making the torque of the FZ6 as it will pull almost 41 ft. lbs. of torque at roughly 3,500. The bike only weighs about 390 wet and it will get around 70mpg. I went on the Laughlin River Run in 2005 and one of the guys wives was riding one. Yeah, all 250 miles across the desert through Amboy and Needles, California. She didn't have a problem keeping up and we were cruising 70-75mph.

Rolly

Reaction score
Visit site
Slight buzz around 6K which equates to around the speed limit for UK motorways. Options - drop a gear and rev higher, go faster to raise revs or slow down.........OK, OK......there are only really two options.....:D:D:D:D.

Have to say that even with this slight rev-specific buzz, the FZ is still a very smooth bike. I've ridden bigger bikes that were smoother but would think that for this capacity bike, this is probably just about as good as it gets.