Wolfman's off to Racing School! Now with photo's!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well Folks, in preparation for my track bike adventure, i am taking myself off to school...more specifically...Alex Goberts, Road Racing Performance Academy, which is holding a training day at our local "goat track", Mallala, on Friday March 27

The cost is $275 +$20 for a one day racing license, and includes theory & track sessions,and here is a list of what they go through.

Preparation - How to prepare for each track day or race day

Corner Entry - Select your line and take the correct approach to the turn

Mid-Corner - Learn to carry your speed and flow through the turn

Corner Exit - Set up for a fast exit and stay on the correct line

Braking - Brake smoother, later and with more control

Shifting - Get crucial gear-shifts correct in to turns and on acceleration

Throttle Control - How much and when to apply gas

Body Position - Learn the correct body position for your riding style

Visual Awareness - One of the most important aspects of riding is where to look

Relaxation - Make the most of your riding by breathing and relaxing on the bike

Health - We touch on the basics of how healthy living can improve your riding

Safety - Safe riding is good riding. Safe riding is promoted on the track and street

Here's the link to their website, if anyone is interested.

Alex Gobert's Road Race Performance Academy

I think, this is just what i need to do to get started, rather than just role up to a track day, with a head full of dreams, and a ham-fisted throttle hand!

Cant wait, this is gonna be awesome!

:rockon:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sounds like an awesome experience, my first 90 miles on the track i learned more about myself and my bike than i had in the previous 30,000 miles on the street.

it is night and day, just ride where you are comfortable and don't push it, work on being smooth and going fast will follow suit.

I sound like Nick Cage in "Gone in 60 seconds"...

Memphis Raines: "Control. Vision. Determination. These are the three fundamentals of the new generation racecar driver. Speed is a by-product. Going fast. But remember, the car is you. You are the car. Okay, let's drive!"

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sounds like an awesome experience, my first 90 miles on the track i learned more about myself and my bike than i had in the previous 30,000 miles on the street.

it is night and day, just ride where you are comfortable and don't push it, work on being smooth and going fast will follow suit.

I sound like Nick Cage in "Gone in 60 seconds"...

Memphis Raines: "Control. Vision. Determination. These are the three fundamentals of the new generation racecar driver. Speed is a by-product. Going fast. But remember, the car is you. You are the car. Okay, let's drive!"

Yeah, i have ridden on the road for about 25 years now, and consider myself to be quite a decent rider, but i am sure the track will be very very different, luckily for me, as i have got older, i have learnt to go at my pace, and not to try and win the World Championship in one day...i think being a daddy does that to you.

Have also just got the details for another course in SA in late April, which i will also do...

Then hopefully i can get my D Grade racing license, and go do some bracket racing, or club racing, to get me started in the World of Competitive track racing.

:rockon:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sound like it will be an awesome day's learning , you could wish to be taught by a more decent , genuine and likeable Aussie bloke.....Ive had many dealings with Alex during my Flag Marshalling days and he is a great guy :thumbup:....Leave nothing unturned on the day mate , the only stupid question is the one that isnt asked :D........BTW i am sooooo jealous right now....

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sound like it will be an awesome day's learning , you could wish to be taught by a more decent , genuine and likeable Aussie bloke.....Ive had many dealings with Alex during my Flag Marshalling days and he is a great guy :thumbup:....Leave nothing unturned on the day mate , the only stupid question is the one that isnt asked :D........BTW i am sooooo jealous right now....

Yes i have heard that Alex is a pretty decent fella...hope he doesnt mind the smell of poop in my pants! :eek:

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That sounds a lot of fun. I'm quite jealous. :thumbup:

I've been round Silverstone in an MR2 and a Celica GT4 with a Touring Car guy showing me what to do. Good day was had by all.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That sounds a lot of fun. I'm quite jealous. :thumbup:

I've been round Silverstone in an MR2 and a Celica GT4 with a Touring Car guy showing me what to do. Good day was had by all.

Now that would be awesome...Silverstone..one of the World's great circuits...am hoping to grace the tracvk at Phillip Island one day soon, myself...

:thumbup:

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck WolfMan. I am also jelaous I must tell ya. But I only got 9 months under my belt now and the closest track for me its about 3 1/2 hrs away one way. But one day. For now all I can do is :drool: and wait for that day to come...:thumbup:
Ride safe out there.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a great time. I'm looking forward to the write up on this one.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude!! I'm so jealous!!!!! i'm getting inspired to get out and put in the work to get my own track bike and find me a racing school. I've wanted to race bike's since i got my first one.this is cool!!!keep us posted!:rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
dude...seriously, your 401K must be paying out or something...where are you getting the funding? send some my way! I just want a measly racetech front and two-bros!

Don't even know what a 401k is! I just work hard and get paid well...but don't worry, I am paddling like crazy financially to make this happen...like a duck, I might look calm, but under the surface, it's all action!

Dude!! I'm so jealous!!!!! i'm getting inspired to get out and put in the work to get my own track bike and find me a racing school. I've wanted to race bike's since i got my first one.this is cool!!!keep us posted!:rockon:

I have always dreamed of racing...am 40 now, has taken me 25 years to realize my dream ...and I am still not quite there yet...

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Racing is SO much fun. I think, aside from combat, it is the most intense thing I've ever done, more intense than any sport I've ever done, and I've done many sports, skiing, bicycle racing, hang gliding, etc.

Imagine being gridded with 50 of your closest friends, who all want to beat YOU to the first corner, and the corner is three feet by three feet! The flag drops and 50 racers are in a big ass drag race! BAM!!!! You hit it as hard an fast as you can, and begin weaving in and out of other racers, inches away. Man, what fun! If I remember right our sprint races were 20 minutes, and that 20 minutes was gone in two minutes. You will be so totally focused and concentrating, I love it. The mental part is the toughest part of the whole game.

Just remember, if you can show your front wheel to the inside, you get the corner, just don't run wide into your buddy while doing so. :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Racing is SO much fun. I think, aside from combat, it is the most intense thing I've ever done, more intense than any sport I've ever done, and I've done many sports, skiing, bicycle racing, hang gliding, etc.

Imagine being gridded with 50 of your closest friends, who all want to beat YOU to the first corner, and the corner is three feet by three feet! The flag drops and 50 racers are in a big ass drag race! BAM!!!! You hit it as hard an fast as you can, and begin weaving in and out of other racers, inches away. Man, what fun! If I remember right our sprint races were 20 minutes, and that 20 minutes was gone in two minutes. You will be so totally focused and concentrating, I love it. The mental part is the toughest part of the whole game.

Just remember, if you can show your front wheel to the inside, you get the corner, just don't run wide into your buddy while doing so. :D

I can only imagine....have watched plenty of racing up close...and have always thought of the race to the first corner as rather insane actually...have done plenty of sport in my life, but the closest to this is a bit of kart racing...thy was fun, but I had no real sense of danger, just a desire to win...am a very competitive person....I hope that competitiveness does not get the better of me!

By the way, the thought of going into combat for real...just scares the crap out of me...respect to you pete, and all the other brave soldiers who fight, and sometimes die, for our freedom and way of life.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In combat you're are so busy leading your Soldiers, doing your job, calling reports in and scanning for bad guys you forget to be scared. You're just doing your job so you and your buddies can go back that night and call the family and let them know you are okay for tha t day. In many ways it can be a simple life.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In combat you're are so busy leading your Soldiers, doing your job, calling reports in and scanning for bad guys you forget to be scared. You're just doing your job so you and your buddies can go back that night and call the family and let them know you are okay for tha t day. In many ways it can be a simple life.

Ok, apart from guys shooting at you, and trying to kill you, I suspect there is a small similarity between combat and bike racing...as there is a real chance that you could meet you maker everytome you get out on the track...although I reckon the odds of survival on a bike are much greater.

Still, same deal...ringing the missis at the end of the day and saying "had a great day, great ride, didn't hurt myself", has it's similarity's...