Yuck! Chain rust killa & clean/lube *DIY*

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
The raining season left some nasty chain rust. Not only unsightly, I can't stand the fact it's eating away at my FZ. Have no fear, Mello is here. I've learned from maintaining woodworking tools by using Boeshield's products for rust cleaning.

Rust Prevention Rust Protection Metal Penetrating Lubrication Anti Corrosives Multi Purpose Metal Protection BOESHIELD T-9

Here's the picture of my chain before and after.
1evrqe.jpg

2csj6vc.jpg

DIY: 1) the tools

i3uetz.jpg

2) sharpie to mark and keep track of chain link

2u77uz9.jpg

3) clean chain with kerosene, small container, scotchbrite pads and of course, gloves.

311m16g.jpg

4) result of couple of passes with Kerosene

iprxxt.jpg

5) wipe clean

2hs2kr8.jpg

6) Here we go... Boeshield's Rust Free spayed on steel wool pad.

2eo9xxv.jpg

7) lots of elbow grease and time. Rust Free will work its magic. slowly rust will disappear.

34j6iar.jpg

8) one more quick pass with kerosene and wipe clean.

jskc5d.jpg

continue....

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
9) lastly, lube. I use DuPont's Multi-use dry. Paper towel to catch the excess.

2cr7r5u.jpg

VOILA!!! I had to rush because it was getting dark. Maybe next time I'll do a better job. I didn't get chance to use the T-9 rust protector. We'll see how long till the rust returns.

2csj6vc.jpg

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yeah... this is probably my 4th time clean/lube chain. If I'm doing anything wrong, please feel free to comment. Suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

W

wrightme43

Nah dont think you did anything wrong at all. Looks nice to me. I have rode almost all winter on salted roads, rain and what not. No rust with the dupont lube. I like it. Hope you get good results from it too.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
did you take the rear wheel off to clean the rear sprocket? My chain is spotless but my rear sprocket is grungy, too lazy to take it off...

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Any reports how this affects the rubber in the chain links? The dealer made a huge fuss when I went in to buy chain lube, making sure I got a compatible type....

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My chain was solid rust brown after winter was over because the lube I was using slung off too fast. I wore out my brass brush scrubbing it shiny again. Now I've got some new lube that has some retardedly strong film strength. :D

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
did you take the rear wheel off to clean the rear sprocket? My chain is spotless but my rear sprocket is grungy, too lazy to take it off...
No... not required I don't think. I have never taken off the rear wheel. I'm afraid I may mis-align the darn thing putting it back. LOL

OK.. quick update. It's been more than a month and I have not touched the chain. But, other than a little dirtier, it's still rust free... just like the pictures taken in the OP. I swear by the Boeshield stuff.:rockon: