Clip ons or custom bars ??

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all ...

After riding friends CBR600 rr and ZX6-R I'm considering purchasing some new bars or clip ons to give me a slightly more aggressive feel to the FZ6..

Has anyone done this from this forum and if so what would you recommend ??

here is a pic of some FZ1 custom made bars that fit the Fz6 as long as you do the steering stop mod...

99870d1159465214t-suburban-machinery-bars-group-buy-dscf4175.jpg

Also what clip ons would fit ?? Do you have any pics and feedback ??

edit: Mine is the 2007 one ... Not sure if that makes any difference with clearances etc ...

Thanks JC

Last edited:
S

sportrider

from what I've read I hear CBR1100XX clipons will work if you raise the forks in the clamps so the top of the fork is sticking out 1 inch. I thought ab out putting the stock FZ1 bars because they are flatter, but I don't know if there is any clearance problems.

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd also been told the CBR1100XX work but anyone know if there is a "how to" guide anywhere and what year CBR would I purchase them off ...

Thanks JC

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
OK folks .... I've just read the full thread on SBN on this issue and I think it has answered my questions ... I'm now tempted to purchase some Blackbird clip ons and try this mod ...

Can you fellas that have already done this give me some feedback please ??

Pics would be good too ... Also if someone can explain what bolt I require and explain it in simple terms :)

EDIT: Those Fz1 bars look very nice though ... decisions decisions ;)

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
What bolt you require? You need some standard hex keys of common size (4, 6, 8mm, etc.), a torque wrench would be nice but you don't NEED one, and you need some other common tools (screw driver, small socket) for getting the controls/grips on/off. It's really simple actually.

If I never took my FZ6 to the track, I would probably not do this mod. It really helps you get the body position needed to go fast without grinding off your pegs. I also think they look cool but there is no point to doing this mod unless you really want to push your FZ6.

My bike looks kinda ruff right now but I'll be finishing it up when the weather gets bad. The first pic is from today; the second pic is from when I first had them mounted above the triple --
________
Laguna Bay II Condominium Pattaya

Last edited:

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
What bolt you require?

If I never took my FZ6 to the track, I would probably not do this mod. It really helps you get the body position needed to go fast without grinding off your pegs. I also think they look cool but there is no point to doing this mod unless you really want to push your FZ6.

My bike looks kinda ruff right now but I'll be finishing it up when the weather gets bad. The first pic is from today; the second pic is from when I first had them mounted above the triple --

Thanks for that mate ...

The bolt I was on about was something someone mentioned on SBN .. I'll have to revisit the site and double check ... I see you have tried both above and below the triple .. Any probs with either ? Maybe I'd have problems with the plastics ?? I see you are naked...

I'm quite curious also as to how the Suburban bars or the LSL bars compare against the clip ons ... Maybe not as agresssive ??

As for pushing it ... I'm kean to start the track days and I'm sure I'll get the bug strong when I start :)

My bike just feels so strange after riding a SS for a few miles ... Don't get me wrong though I still love my FZ6 ... Its that little bit different but ever so capable :)

EDIT: I don't suppose there is a triple (yoke) replacement is there ??

Last edited:

azoton

Reaction score
Visit site

What suspension changes did you make to compensate for the drastic change in geometry with the clip-ons set above the triple? That's a huge drop!! Did you have any problems with it turning in too quickly?

With them mounted underneath it wouldn't effect geometry as long as triples are set at stock.

I know from supermoto changing from a 17 to a 16.5 front or dropping or raising forks millimeters makes BIG changes in turn in.

Just curious.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Turn-in was much improved and stability was not an issue (track speeds); however, I had a major problem with braking. The bike wanted to stand on its front wheel every time I tried to late-brake past someone...not good.

As you can see, I've since moved the forks down and remounted the clip-ons. It takes more effort to turn the bike at speed but the ability to brake harder far outweighs this detriment.

I'm running .95kg RaceTech springs w/ 15wt oil up from the .80 w/ 5wt oil stock setup. The bike also comes from the factory with the forks flush with the top triple.
________
Marijuana card

Last edited:

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone tried these ... I've been told they might do the job ???

Busters Motorcycle Accessories

I think they are copies of the Laverda originals, they stopped making the Jota when Noah was a boy. They were popular 25 years ago because they are so versatile, being able to go from fully blown race bars to almost sit-up & beg Tee bars.

The first thought is bar end weights. When I got the FZ I just thought they were a clever gadget that was easily replaced if you scuffed the end of the bars. But, they do have a serious function; somewhere on here there is a thread about the vibration caused through the bars due to the huge revving capability of the FZ. And, if your main intention of putting these on for track days, I suggest you may be pushing your motor 'quite' hard :D

You can get post fit end weights, you may just have to do a bit of research as to what fits the Jota bars & what weight is required.

Just my 10 pen'orth

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
JONAC, those look good. I don't have any experience with them though. They are cheap and adjustable....I say give it a go. Oh and, get out on the track and post some pictures!

I might give them a try ... can't locate any blackbird clip-ons anyhow .. they seem to be as rare as rocking horse **** :)

Trying to get booked onto a track day at Cadwell park 18th or 19th this month ... fingers crossed.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The blackbird clipons can be found on eBay fairly regulary (or at least that was my experience when I was looking). Just do a search for "blackbird" or "1100xx" and then look through the 2 or 3 pages of items that come up. The regular clipons usually go for $35 or so; Helibars and other aftermarket pieces are more expensive.

EDIT --

eBay Motors: Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Right Handlebar 1999-2000 (item 320164297447 end time Oct-07-07 18:45:00 PDT)

eBay Motors: cbr 1100xx helibars (item 320163662063 end time Oct-07-07 18:28:40 PDT)
________
Marijuana card

Last edited:

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
The blackbird clipons can be found on eBay fairly regulary (or at least that was my experience when I was looking). Just do a search for "blackbird" or "1100xx" and then look through the 2 or 3 pages of items that come up. The regular clipons usually go for $35 or so; Helibars and other aftermarket pieces are more expensive.

Thanks for that ... do you know if there are any clearance issues with either the clip-ons or the helibars ?

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pulling my hair out over this issue ... lol .... Sorry if I'm boring some of you with this...

Done loads of research but still can't make up my mind ... Still hunting for advice and pics to back up any reviews..

Options are :
CBR1100XX CLIP-ONS
LSL STREET BARS
JOTA 'adjustable' BARS (NOT GUARANTEED TO FIT!)

SUBURBAN no longer make the FZ6 bars due to lack of interest and I don't want to fit the FZ1 SUBURBANS because of Steering stop adjustments that have to be made.... This is also the case for the LSL drag bars I've been told (which look sweet !).... :mad:

My only issue with the clip-ons is I would want to mount them under the triple (I don't want to lower the front end and change the geometry etc) and am also afraid there might be a fairing clearance issue ... I see Defyinertia has them under the triple but on a naked bike .. :banghead:
Also we have that huge sticky up clamp on top of the triple that just looks odd I think with no bar through it ..... Is there a replacement triple out there ???

Finally if anyone is reading this who has replaced their stock bars on 07 bike for a lower more forward style bar could you please post some pics to ease my pain and maybe sway my choice ???? :thumbup:

P.S: For Defyinertia ... I have managed to locate some clip-ons in the UK but thanks for the links anyhow.... Still not ordered as yet though due to all above info ... Still might gamble on the Jota bars .... !! ?? :(

DECISIONS DECISIONS DECISIONS

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
From a go-fast track performance standpoint, you're not going to get a huge improvement from installing a new bar. In order to really get your head and elbows low you're going to need/want clipons.

Steering stop adjustments that have to be made.... This is also the case for the LSL drag bars

Also the case for the clip-ons.

Additionally, the clipons make for a tight fit of the controls and you'll want a bar-end solution.

Also we have that huge sticky up clamp on top of the triple that just looks odd I think with no bar through it

That is where the instrument cluster will go eventually (this winter).
________
Vaporizer volcano

Last edited:

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
From a go-fast track performance standpoint, you're not going to get a huge improvement from installing a new bar. In order to really get your head and elbows low you're going to need/want clipons.

Also the case for the clip-ons.

Additionally, the clipons make for a tight fit of the controls and you'll want a bar-end solution.

That is where the instrument cluster will go eventually (this winter).

Do you notice much restriction when street riding with the steering stops extended ?

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Ordered the 'Jota' Adjustable bars ... pics to follow ... If they fit !! :confused: and when I get around to that I'll post my flush mounted Acumen pics too ;)