Protection from wind blast AND wind noise: you can have it all!

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
...at the price of looking butt fugly. This approach was pioneered by Clunk, and I replicated it. We both shared a desire to avoid the stress and strain from holding your head and body in an 80 mph wind flow, as well as a quieter ride.

As has been discussed ad naseum here, wind noise and wind blast are largely a zero sum game. If you cut your screen (as Steveindenmark did successfully)so that the turbulent air rolling off the top of the screen hits below your helmet, you have wind blast on your body and head, but the air around your head is smooth, so it's quiet. Or, you get a stall screen which will put the turbulent air at your helmet. Here, you have no wind blast and are much less susceptible to buffeting from cross winds, but it is a lot louder.

What we did was put a Laminar Lip (14" Cruiser Generic - $85) on top of the tallest Calsci (+12 - ~$175). It's attached with some sort of velcro stuff. The LL pulls the wind up a few inches higher, and it now hits right at the top of the helmet for me (I'm 6'1"). This dramatically reduces wind noise. At speeds up to about 70 mph, it's about the same level of noise as 30 mph with the stock screen. At 80 mph, the noise level kicks up, but is still a massive improvement. I still find it necessary to wear earplugs all the time anyway.

For me, this is a huge plus for riding enjoyment. I'm much more about comfort than looks, which is fortunate, because it looks kinda lame. Thankfully, I don't give a rat's a$$ about what anyone thinks my bike looks like, so if it's more comfortable, that's the winning combination for me.

Thanks to Clunk for trying this out and proving it works!