My solution to sagging panniers

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
After trying out my panniers on the bike i decided i wanted them to sit lower and further back so there was more room for the other half and lower the centre of gravity. I looked on the net and found Givi has some soft pannier racks but i decided i could probably make a set easily enough myself.

Basically i had a couple lengths of stainless steel rod, 6mm diameter and bent them to suit the shape i needed. The rods pass through and replace the bolts used to hold the pillion foot rests on, follow up the side of the bike, bend up and then in toward the mounting point of the Givi top rack.

This keeps the panniers away from the indicators so not damaging them and provides support to stop them sagging into the wheel arch. Dont be fooloed by the flimsy ness of the rods, they are amazing strong and im bloomin chuffed with them hehe :)

Pics:

DSC00259.jpg

DSC00261.jpg

Showing how they replace the bolts used for the pillion hangers

DSC00262.jpg

DSC00263.jpg

Everything is stainless steel so no rusting anytime soon :D
Hope someone can make use if this post

Cheers, Dave

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After trying out my panniers on the bike i decided i wanted them to sit lower and further back so there was more room for the other half and lower the centre of gravity. I looked on the net and found Givi has some soft pannier racks but i decided i could probably make a set easily enough myself.

Basically i had a couple lengths of stainless steel rod, 6mm diameter and bent them to suit the shape i needed. The rods pass through and replace the bolts used to hold the pillion foot rests on, follow up the side of the bike, bend up and then in toward the mounting point of the Givi top rack.

This keeps the panniers away from the indicators so not damaging them and provides support to stop them sagging into the wheel arch. Dont be fooloed by the flimsy ness of the rods, they are amazing strong and im bloomin chuffed with them hehe :)

Pics:

DSC00259.jpg

DSC00261.jpg

Showing how they replace the bolts used for the pillion hangers

DSC00262.jpg

DSC00263.jpg

Everything is stainless steel so no rusting anytime soon :D
Hope someone can make use if this post

Cheers, Dave
That is quality mate,

Fancy running a few sets off for a reasonable price?

Nelly

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
That is quality mate,

Fancy running a few sets off for a reasonable price?

Nelly

Hehe, tempting offer but i'll have to pass.

Pretty easy to make really, length of 6mm dia steel, M6 tapping die, a couple drill bits and brute stength :)

Glad u guys like it

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice fab work. :) Any pictures with the bags on? I have a set of bags on the way and will likely do something simmilar.