What octane gas do you use???

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
What octane gas do you use???

I have been using 87.

I am up riding in the smokey mountians and several of the guys who are with me are automotive mechanics. They were shocked to see me use regular 87 octane. They said I should use 93 it runs cleaner. They also said when you tear down an engine that has burned regular it is a mess and my motor would do much better to run 93

What are your opinions????

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There's already a thread on this subject somewhere. I think it's titled regular or premium, or something in that nature.

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
I kind of remember that but the search thing here (for me) is not always able to pull up what I want....

would it have hurt since you posted to give your answer???:p;)

:justkidding: do not take offense from an old computer illiterate man:thumbup:

mattcouch

Reaction score
Visit site
I use premium. The manual recommends it and it burns a little cleaner. With the engine being a high-rev, it can't do anything but help. :thumbup:

W

wrightme43

No.
It does not reccomend it.
It reccomends regular.
Regular gas has more energy that premium gas.

Here are several references. If you like please read them, favorite them, and when your mechanic buddies tell you different show them why it doesnt and cant work that way.

Paying extra for gasoline with a higher octane number than the engine requires is literally a waste of money. If the motor doesn't detonate on regular, then burning premium gas will not increase power or improve fuel economy. In fact, the compounds that are added to gasoline to raise its octane rating typically have less energy content than regular gasoline This is from this site. Premium Performance on Regular Gas

What octane number should you buy?
Modern fuel-injected engines have engine management systems that can adjust to burn almost anything. However, if the octane rating is too low, the engine management system will have to richen the mixture and retard the timing to prevent destructive knock, resulting in lowered gas mileage. As you increase the octane rating of the fuel, you will hit a point where the engine management system can run the engine at optimum levels. At this point you have best gas mileage and best power. If you continue to increase the octane rating of the fuel, the engine management system does nothing, so all you are doing now is burning more expensive fuel for the same result. So, buy the lowest octane number that you can and still get your best gas mileage.

In the winter, or when it's very humid, you can often lower the required octane number. In very dry heat, for example in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, S.California, you will most likely need to raise the octane level a bit to get best gas mileage.
That is a quote from here.
All About Gasoline

3. In testing various grades of pump gas I consistently found that 87 octane fuel makes 1-2 more horsepower than those exact same bikes ran on Premium 93 octane. We tested five liter class motorcycles (97 CBR900RR, 02 Honda 919, 2000 RC51, 2000 GSXR750 & an 02 R1) & only the R1 seemed unaffected by the octane of the fuel. Now I am certainly not going to tell you to run less than the recommended octane (92) in your RC51 as the specific needs of the motor dictate that a higher octane fuel is needed, but the results are blatant in that more octane does not mean more power.

I can go on, but that is all I am doing this morning. LOL
Put regular in your bike, if someone wants to use premium fine. Just dont tell everyone to use it based on bad info.

mattcouch

Reaction score
Visit site
No.
It does not reccomend it.
It reccomends regular.
Regular gas has more energy that premium gas.

Here are several references. If you like please read them, favorite them, and when your mechanic buddies tell you different show them why it doesnt and cant work that way.

Paying extra for gasoline with a higher octane number than the engine requires is literally a waste of money. If the motor doesn't detonate on regular, then burning premium gas will not increase power or improve fuel economy. In fact, the compounds that are added to gasoline to raise its octane rating typically have less energy content than regular gasoline This is from this site. Premium Performance on Regular Gas

What octane number should you buy?
Modern fuel-injected engines have engine management systems that can adjust to burn almost anything. However, if the octane rating is too low, the engine management system will have to richen the mixture and retard the timing to prevent destructive knock, resulting in lowered gas mileage. As you increase the octane rating of the fuel, you will hit a point where the engine management system can run the engine at optimum levels. At this point you have best gas mileage and best power. If you continue to increase the octane rating of the fuel, the engine management system does nothing, so all you are doing now is burning more expensive fuel for the same result. So, buy the lowest octane number that you can and still get your best gas mileage.

In the winter, or when it's very humid, you can often lower the required octane number. In very dry heat, for example in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, S.California, you will most likely need to raise the octane level a bit to get best gas mileage.
That is a quote from here.
All About Gasoline

3. In testing various grades of pump gas I consistently found that 87 octane fuel makes 1-2 more horsepower than those exact same bikes ran on Premium 93 octane. We tested five liter class motorcycles (97 CBR900RR, 02 Honda 919, 2000 RC51, 2000 GSXR750 & an 02 R1) & only the R1 seemed unaffected by the octane of the fuel. Now I am certainly not going to tell you to run less than the recommended octane (92) in your RC51 as the specific needs of the motor dictate that a higher octane fuel is needed, but the results are blatant in that more octane does not mean more power.

I can go on, but that is all I am doing this morning. LOL
Put regular in your bike, if someone wants to use premium fine. Just dont tell everyone to use it based on bad info.

wrightme43,

Pardon me while I pry my foot out of my mouth. I stand corrected and recant. :D

"Your Yamaha engine has been designed to use regular unleaded gasoline with a pump octane number of 86 or higher, or a research octane number of 91 or higher. If knocking occurs, use a gasoline of a different brand or premium unleaded fuel."

-2005 Yamaha FZ6 Owners Manual

I like your answer better. I will bookmark this and show it to the knuckleheads at the dealership. :thumbup:

You da man!

-Matt

W

wrightme43

Dont worry a bit Matt. I can fit both my feet in mouth, along with a large crow. LOL I am wrong so much its not even really funny anymore. I am getting better now that I am getting older though.
Once as a STS3/SS on my submarine, I corrected the Captian in front of the whole crew, and I WAS WRONG!!! Good times good times. LOL No really it sucked, it really really sucked.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
This will be debated until the end of time....I'm gonna go with the Yamaha engineers and call it a day.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/561-regular-premium-gas.html

I use premium. The manual recommends it and it burns a little cleaner. With the engine being a high-rev, it can't do anything but help. :thumbup:

Why do people post stuff they really know nothing about? It's a disservice to everyone else. (EDIT - not trying to flame you, Matt. I'm just saying...in general.)
________
WEB SHOWS

Last edited:

mattcouch

Reaction score
Visit site
Dont worry a bit Matt. I can fit both my feet in mouth, along with a large crow. LOL I am wrong so much its not even really funny anymore. I am getting better now that I am getting older though.
Once as a STS3/SS on my submarine, I corrected the Captian in front of the whole crew, and I WAS WRONG!!! Good times good times. LOL No really it sucked, it really really sucked.

Haha, I've been guilty of that myself.....a little military professional development never hurt anybody....:D