Whats the difference?

eagle1909

The EAgle
Reaction score
Visit site
What is the actual difference between a mesh jacket and textile jacket? I was looking at a jacket (based purely on looks) that I really liked, but than I looked at the specs. It was listed under textile jackets, but the title says it is a mesh jacket. I am confused, is there actually a difference? Thanks

JoeRocket.com

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
With a Textile jacket, you'll notice the material is woven tighter. Textile jackets are usually made from ballistic nylon and are quite a bit more wind proof than mesh jackets.

Mesh jackets and pants are well suited for hot riding conditions as they give some protection to the rider without overheating. Mesh riding clothing has a more open design to the fabric with allows air to pass through more easily.

fz6alain

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah that is deffinetly a mesh jacket because the entire blue section is mesh and the small black section is textile.

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site
mesh = good venting bad protection
textile = not so good benting and better protection

from what I have heard textile is the best protection you can get next to leather --- don't quote that - not sure when or wear I heard that.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
A mesh jacket is a sub-group of textile jackets. Textile refers to the base material of construction (basically man-made fibers vs leather) which can be used to make jackets of multiple styles. Mesh is one of those styles which is intended to provide high air-flow for venting while retaining some protection (how much, how well is a source of continued debate).

I use a mesh jacket during the warmer months but have another textile jacket that's solid construction for cooler days.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
To the OP, check out a leather jacket that's completely perforated, like the JR Sonic 2.0. I've got one and it's the only jacket I wear in the summer. You may think I'm full of she-it, but I SWEAR it flows more air than the mesh jacket I used to wear, and I feel much more protected. When I say completely perforated, I'm talking about the front AND back of the torso.

crabby117

Reaction score
Visit site
You can get away with a mesh jacket in cooler months too if they come with liners. I have a mesh jacket (I live in Vegas) that's a god-send in the summer. In cooler weather, the waterproof liner affords quite good wind protection and it has a second quilted liner for even colder temps. Wearing both liners in the jacket is pretty toasty.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I wear a strech Kevelar textile made by Cycleport. Strongest textile that won't melt in a slide. I hope I never get to find out how good it is.
Quite pricey but breathes well and is holding up after years of use.