Helmet on or helmet off?

Helemt on or helmet off if your unconscious?

• Take it off and see if I'm breathing

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Don't touch me, I don't want to be paralysed

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Only take it off if you know what your doing

Votes: 47 70.1%

• Total voters

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok one of the things we fear the most is coming of our bikes and ending up in a critical condition. What is the general consenses. If your unconcious and un-responsive would you like some one to keep your helmet on or remove it?
I don't want this to get to heavy and I know it has been and still is being debated on other sites.
Im really interested in the ways we might safeguard ourselves.

Neil

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
All the standard stuff, plus a tourniquet, and when I have room, my "shock" blanket (top cases FTW!!!).

EDIT - I also have one of those things that attaches to your helmet strap and holds all of your emergency info in it (name, insurance, sign off to receive treatment, contact info, blood type, etc.).

Ok, so take the helmet off, or leave it on????
________
HOTSKIN live

Last edited:

azoton

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it depends on the situation.

If someone's life depends on you breathing (mouth to mouth) for them and CPR then take it off.

Unconscious and breathing - personally, I'd leave it on and let the professionals handle it when they arrive - IF they are out that long. If they are then there are some serious issues. Most people don't stay out too long - from seconds to a minute or two at the most - at that point you can at least try to assess things.

100% of the track get offs that I've seen have been handled like that - leave the equipment on if it's lights out.

Just my 2 cents.

W

wrightme43

Its gotta be a judgement call, it depends on wether or not the rider is breathing. If the rider is breathing leave it on, if not it cant get much worse so remove it.

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it depends on the situation.

If someone's life depends on you breathing (mouth to mouth) for them and CPR then take it off.

Unconscious and breathing - personally, I'd leave it on and let the professionals handle it when they arrive - IF they are out that long. If they are then there are some serious issues. Most people don't stay out too long - from seconds to a minute or two at the most - at that point you can at least try to assess things.

100% of the track get offs that I've seen have been handled like that - leave the equipment on if it's lights out.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree, it is not necessary to take off the helmet to tell if someone is breathing. You always want the pros to deal with an injury. Only remove things if they are not breathing, heart is not beating, or you see large amounts of blood (you want to stop the bleeding).

S

sportrider

Its gotta be a judgement call, it depends on wether or not the rider is breathing. If the rider is breathing leave it on, if not it cant get much worse so remove it.
+1. depends on the situation

I'm the type that if I see someone go down and no paramedics are on site I'll stop to see if I can help, but if the paramedics are there or there is already a bunch of people stopped I just keep going. (some things I just don't want in my head)

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
+1. depends on the situation

I'm the type that if I see someone go down and no paramedics are on site I'll stop to see if I can help, but if the paramedics are there or there is already a bunch of people stopped I just keep going. (some things I just don't want in my head)

Amen .:(:(

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I would really like to know what I'm supposed to do. If it is me that's down, I say lift the visor to see if I'm breathing. If I am no other action is required. If I'm not, I would like someone to try to help me and if that means taking the helmet off...so be it.

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If the casualty can breathe then leave the helmet on.
It's really a 2 person job to remove it safely from an unconscious person.
Don't move them unless it's life threatening to leave them where they are.
Priotiries:-
Breathing
Bleeding
Shock
Fractures

And if you can - try to get on a first aid course. I did, and it saved my sons life.

S

sportrider

Alright, fella's. I am a Firefighter First Responder and a Vehicle Rescue Technician. My advice, and the proper thing to do, and if your able is to ensure the victim is breathing. If they are not breathing and unconscious FOR GOD SAKES remove the helmet and perform rescue breathing/CPR. Their neck might be broken but without air they are dead! If they are breathing and unconscious stay with the victim and do not remove the helmet, or move them unless it is necessary. Let the EMT's do that if they have to to get a neck collar on. Remember... In the U.S.A. anyway, being unconscious is giving consent to medical help. Don't forget about good samaritan laws.
+1!!! I'd rather have tried to save someones life and fail than to standby and do nothing and always wonder if I had stepped up if they would still be alive!!!

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive had both the basic first aid classes and the combat life saver classes in the army. If they are breathing then just keep them still with the helmet on. Dont want to make it worse than it is. But if not breathing take the helmet off and start CPR. Thats what i would want done to me if it was me on the ground

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This remains a very controversial subject. My personal thoughts and feelings are. If your not sure if the casualty is breathing properly then something needs to be done about it. Very simple airway manoeuvres can be used. I train Dr’s and Nurses resuscitation and life saving skills. Even for professionals it can be very difficult in a stressful situation to identify signs of life. With a helmet on it makes it even harder to assess breathing.
On a slightly different note. One of the things that is becoming a bit of a hazard is leathers that incorporate the aero dynamic hump. When the rider is on their back they can often cause the neck to over extend. They also make it difficult to immobilise the rider.
:thumbup: Neil

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've always been taught NOT to remove unless you know what you are doing.

I totally agree, my in laws have both done the course and know how to remove a helmet with 2 trained people, at a squeeze they could tell someone else what to do. They also learn not to remove the helmet unless absolutely necessary as this can cause more problems (my mother in law used to be a doctors assistant).

I have done the St Johns ambulance course in the UK, but that was years ago now and we didn't learn this technique, but were told not to remove the helmet unless necessary.

On another note , when living in the UK I had an insurance that would cover me for people sueing me for medical mishaps that were my fault (this was very cheap after doing the course as long as you redid it every year). Now I don't have any sort of insurance but I would always help where possible, but luckily in europe the "sueing bug" hasn't hit yet (watch this space).

How do you guys in the US feel about helping someone, whilst knowing that one of his surviving family or friends will probably sue you?

Luckily the "no cure no pay" practices of the US, and more recently UK lawyers are banned in Holland.

A penny/ euro/ cent for your thoughts on the matter