request - How to buy a FZ6

martin_nj

Reaction score
Visit site
if anyone could write up a little how to on buying a used fz6...
common problem areas, typical insurance quotes/estimates, average pricing etc etc

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
you want a fz6?

save yourself a grand and buy mine for 6000.00. I paid 7k cash. I will include a snell helmet and a joe rocket jacket. just a thought. I have just over 1000 miles on mine, and its a 07. insurance is a joke. i pay 20ish bucks a month for good coverage with state farm.

clunk

Apprentice
Reaction score
Visit site
Lots of good deals to be had this time of year. I just picked up an '07 Blue for $4900 w/ 1100 miles on the clock and factory warranty 'til Mar '08.

Got the best insurance quote from Progressive. $79/yr liability only, $416/yr w/ collision and comp.

I'm new to motorcycles, but I've been reading this board for a bit and really haven't seen any particular trouble areas. Seemed like every other bike I considered had one or two items that were nearly guaranteed to cause problems, but haven't read anything like that about the FZ6.

W

wrightme43

It all depends man.
Cash is one thing. Finding the right seller is another thing.
Do some people abuse thier bikes? Do some take very careful care?
Problems is just the general inspection all used things go thru. I bought a new one cause I wanted the brakes and the updated fairing, dash and swingarm. If you can get a 07 with low miles for cheap go for it. If not get a 07 left over for cheap, if not get a new 08 for a few hundred more.
In my opinion it is best to find a dealer nearby that you like, thats where your going to be taking the bike when you cant figure something out, find a sales guy that has been there, if you have to pay a few extra 100 in the grand scheme of things its not that bad. I could of went to Nashville and paid 200 less, then when I needed service, it would be later rather than sooner. What I am saying is if I owned a bike shop and one guy is paying me $72 a hour and bought the bike from me, and one guy is paying me $72 a hour and bought the bike from another dealer whos bike gets fixed first?

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
my experience is --- if buying new --- buy at the cheapest dealer.

You can get the thing serviced anywhere. I respectfully disagree with Wrightme. Dealers make big $$ on service and if it is a good size dealer the service manager and the sales manager compete on a different level. It makes no difference where you bought it.

I took mine in for the 600 mile service at my dealer in town --- I did not buy from him. I actually talked to the owner (Service Manager was out having a gull stone removed)

He asked did you buy this here? Nope you guys did not want to come close on the price compared to the other dealer. --- He says ....well we will earn your service business and hopefully your next bike purchase too. (VERY FRIENDLY)

I was quoted $150 for the service and when I picked it up it was only $115

-------
just my experience --- also the same with car dealers

martin_nj

Reaction score
Visit site
i have been to my local yamaha dealer when i had my fzr400 and service there is steep! =\

i did my own service on that bike will prolly continue to do so on the new one...

but regarding buying the actual bike thanks all for the feedback...if we can get some more voices in here i'm willing to type up a buyers guide with my own experiences too =P

W

wrightme43

I bet things are different around here. I guess it kinda depends on where you live. I worked selling Toyota cars for awhile and we definitely treated our customers better. They got loaner cars, while the people that bought in Nashville sat in the waiting room or had to take the customer van.
Also we only have three bike dealerships for 75 miles around that I know of.
A harley one
Two sportbike/atv shops owned by the same guy.

Or drive to Nashville Tn, or North to Lexington, Louisville, Owensboro.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Way to dig up an old thread NEWB!!!!

Just kidding, oso2k, you should introduce yourself to the forum because everyone here would love to read about all your crazy FZ6 mods etc.!
________
DebbieSC3 cam

Last edited:
H

HavBlue

I bet things are different around here. I guess it kinda depends on where you live. I worked selling Toyota cars for awhile and we definitely treated our customers better. They got loaner cars, while the people that bought in Nashville sat in the waiting room or had to take the customer van.
Also we only have three bike dealerships for 75 miles around that I know of.
A Harley one
Two sportbike/atv shops owned by the same guy.

Or drive to Nashville Tn, or North to Lexington, Louisville, Owensboro.

Does this include the Victory/Polaris dealer on 31W? How's about the Yamaha/Honda/Kawasaki/Hyusong dealer on 31E? There's the Yamaha dealer in Glasgow too. There's 4 Harley dealers in Nashville along with BMW and Ducati Too.