Cardo Scala Q2 MultiSet

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is probably a premature report but all results to date are looking good. The Cardo Rider Q2 MultiSet comes with two Bluetooth headsets. The headsets are wireless and are paired together to provide communications between riders. They also come with a built-in FM tuner and a plug in jack for MP3 players.

I paired the main headset to a Garmin Zumo 550 which is paired to my Bluetooth cell phone. The combination seems to work well. With ear plugs in, I can still hear the navigation voice as well as phone calls. The radio listening is also adequate. The pairing of all devices was simple and flawless. The mounting, which is permanent in my case, is via adhesive to the helmets. A clamp-on is also available in the kit but I don’t know what kind of helmet that would work on as it did not work on my Scorpion or the Bell helmets.

First impressions is it will perform well. Need the snow to disappear to take it to the road to see if the wind and Two Bro exhaust noise is going to override the loudness of the little speakers at full volume. Here's hoping!

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Been looking at them myself. A couple of guys I know here have them, and they said the 2-way communication is excellent.
The phone over-rides any comms/radio etc.. if it rings.

Great idea, especially on group rides, the leader can report of debris, speed cameras etc (although, I believe it has a range of about 500 meters??)

:)

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for this report. Please keep me updated since my buddy and I just purchased this on the internet. We should have it in 5 days or so.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On the weekend I actually had a chance to see how well part of this combo works, meaning I only had the opportunity to test one of them. Currently one headset is linked to the cellphone, while the other to my GPS. The idea here is to grab the cellphone one when I'm commuting or riding around town while on long trips with the GPS, I grab the other one. When the wife comes with me, I probably won't have the GPS on so I'll wear the cell phone one while she wears the GPS one so I can still make my calls.

Anyway, I was in town heading home but decided to take the long way when I realized I was going to be late. :rolleyes: I initiated the call on my cell phone with the control button, voice dialed the wife, got her on the phone, we talked while I was moving at a speed of 50kph, Two Brother exhaust rumbling in the background, earplugs in, albiet headset volume full up, no problems! I could easily hear her and she said I sounded fine, just a little distant but fairly normal and she couldn't really tell that I was on the bike.

Next test is to hit the highway, GPS with voice nav running and another call to the wife that I'm going to be late, ... again. :spank:

So far, I like it. :thumbup:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I also recently bought the Q2 set for myself and Jannie. The communication setup between passenger and rider works great, I have not had the chance to use it with another rider.

It will not pair up with my Nokia 6021 phone but I am not bothered because the calls I get are not that urgent.

It also does not pair up with my TomTom GO 720 GPS and finding a list of what it does pair up with before you buy it is almost impossible, or at least it was for me.

To get around the problem I use the MP3 player jackplug and plug it into the GPS. So it solves the problem. I can take direction from the GPS and listen to downloaded books at any speed and it is not a struggle to hear at all. The fitted radios work well and are simple to operate even with gloves on.

Just one heads up for the guys who have them. If you are chatting when you approach a junction you are to turn into the GPS does not overide you chatting so you can miss the junction. I am almost certain that this is the case as it happened to us. I would like someone else to confirm it though.

Talking is clear at any speed once you get the set up right.

There are lots of good and bad reports about the Q2 but once you know how it works it is good. My last comms set was Starcom1 Advanced and the Q2 is miles better.

Steve

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Steve, you are correct that the GPS wouldn't talk to you based on your configuration. The priority order of the audio is GPS (BT) first, BT chat second, MP3 Jack third and FM last. With the GPS using the MP3 jack, the BT chat will override the MP3.

I have a similar issue where we can chat bike to bike just fine but because I cannot pair with the Nuvi 765, I have to transmit on FM to the Scala headset. If we are chatting, the FM is always cancelled thus I cannot hear the directions.

Bike to bike is incredible! We can chat back and forth without any trouble at all, crystal clear and full duplex. I think I'll wait until next year and buy the Zumo 660 and then I can use this setup to the fullest extent.

To those wanting to buy, I can only vouch for BT GPS pairing with the TomTom Rider 2nd Edition and a Zumo 550. No Nuvi or Go series will work. As for phones, I have a Blackberry Curve and it pairs with either the GPS or the Scala fine.

Range from bike to bike is easily the 1640 feet they claim but this is line of sight. Objects or corners blocking line of sight greatly reduce the range. At least I can tell if I start to get too far ahead of my wife now! :D

Battery life. We did the initial charge and I ran two 80+ mile trips with her, both of us talking the whole way. I used it on three commutes to and from work using the FM receiver. This was over the course of 5 days. There were no signs of the initial battery charge weakening. We did take them off and plug them in after 5 days though.

The clip system worked for both my Shoei RF1000 and her cheap Icon helmet. No issues inserting and tightening the clamp and it is VERY sturdy.

Last word - DURABLE!

Enjoy! I recommend this product but be *sure* it is the Q2 version 2 which has the MP3 jack. The cheapest I found it was here: CARDO SRQ2MS002 - Scala Rider Q2 Bluetooth Motorcycle Headsets w/GPS & Bike-2-Bike Intercom Ordered and it did take a while for them to process and ship. Maybe calling in to order would get it done quicker? I wasn't in any hurry though.

For those who think they can get these and do group communications, you cannot! These sets will pair with 4 devices each, but only two other headsets. You cannot talk to both paired sets at the same time. You talk to one person or the other separately. I wanted to make you aware of this as it was something I wasn't aware of myself nor did I expect that function so it wasn't a disappointment to learn about it. You have to press a button on the device twice to switch to the second paired headset. A bit cumbersome while riding. To talk to the primary paired set, but a sharp sound or whistle will activate comms between the two.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone! I have been going back and forth on them and these reviews helped push me over the edge. Thanks to the link on the lower price, saved me some money.

AleCS

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I have a question re the Scala Multiset Q2. I love it, but there is only one thing that I can't understand yet. if i am riding with my girlfriend and we don't speak for ~30 secs the intercom shuts off. Right? But the funny thing is that sometimes you don't even have to wait for the 30 secs. It shuts at 5 or 10 or 20 or depending on the noise outside the helmet. And to turn it on, I have to literally scream to the mic like 3 or 4 times... It's funny, 'cause she knows that I am screaming inside my helmet, but it's sometimes annoying.

Do you know if I can configure the set so it doesn't shut off?

Thanks!
AleCS

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ours does that on occasion too. Some days it is worse than others. We use them bike to bike so she cannot hear me in my helmet.

As for 3 or 4 times, well, when it shuts down comms, count to 5 silently then give one sharp whistle or word into the mic and it will connect first try.

It is annoying and I am glad you spoke up because we thought there was something wrong with ours. Nice to know that we're not the only ones.

As for adjusting the timing or sensitivity, I am not aware of any way to do this. I'll ask their customer support though.

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
while in comm, just press the radio button once. It will turn the connection off, pressing it again will join you guys back up.

I have found that 30 secs of silence (and sometimes hearing my brother justbreathing) just gets awkward so I turn it off manually all the time. Then either a good "OI!" or pressing it again will start it up. What kind of a magic word are you trying to use to turn it on? possibly switch to something quicker and sharper to say

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What kind of a magic word are you trying to use to turn it on?

I've used a lot... a lot of words I cannot say here! :spank: :D I use a whistle and any sharp word.

The problem for me is not getting it to connect, the issue is remaining connected. There are times that we are conversing back and forth, even stopped at a light side by side, and it will cut out in mid sentence. We both have the mics absolutely centered in front of our mouths in full face helmets.

Last week, we had a lot of trouble on a full charge on Wed. We forgot to plug them in that night and went out Thursday on half batteries. We almost NEVER lost connection that day until the batteries died.

I don't understand... I even installed the new audio kits they sent me for free because of my testimonial they wanted for online (still there!) and that did not change anything.

It WAS funny though. I put the kits on at the dining table. My wife and I were sitting at the table with the laptops doing online stuff. We put on the helmets to test the Scala's on the new audio kits and chatted back and forth while in the forums... if anyone driving by looked in the window, I'm sure they either died laughing of wondered what kind of internet connection we had that required helmets! :rof:

Perhaps it is time to contact them. Their customer service is excellent! Now that I have confirmed it isn't just us, we have more clout with the claim.

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
Where are you guys mounting the speakers in your Shoei helmets? I just got mine in the mail today and damn near ripped my ear off taking my helmet on and off trying to find something comfortable. The most comfortable place I can find is putting the speaker in the recess where the straps go through the foam, but that reduces the volume a great deal.