Close call

Numpty

Reaction score
Visit site
Had a close call yesterday.

Must have been something in the London air yesterday as just read Doorag's first off.

Heading into London with Jim (Toolkit) when we came upto queueing traffic leading into the Blackwall tunnel,started to filter and did so for a mile or so when a break appeared in the right hand lane so I joined it started to pick up speed (25mph)when a numb nut in a suv (without any mirrors I guess) PULLED OUT into my path :jawdrop: :spank: I had a split second to react and luckily there was enough room for a quick right and a left around him/her to come out unscathed.:steve:

Funny thing is I didnt react to the numb nuts actions,no hand jesters nothing just carried on my merry way.Was not till we stopped half hour later that Jim said how close I was to being knocked off. :eek:

So guys and girls please keep your wits about you especially when filtering in queueing traffic.

Gaz

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you escaped this one so early in the season.

Maybe we should start a whole new section of "Offs and near misses".

Then I don`t have to look at them anymore.

The season is just starting for a lot of us so "BE CAREFUL OUT THERE".

Steve

simonwb

Back in black
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny thing is I didnt react to the numb nuts actions,no hand jesters nothing just carried on my merry way.

I'm the same when I'm cut up - I guess I concentrate on getting out of harm's way, retaliation is the last thing that comes to me. Pity, it's probably the only way some drivers might learn. I remember when I was a newbie car driver, I pulled into the path of a bike without checking my mirrors first; that rider pulled alongside and let me know with the most colourful gestures what he thought of me!

Anyway, glad to learn you're ok.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you came out okay. When filtering, you always have to pay attention to those gaps, looks mighty inviting for those cagers and they are not going to think or look for a bike to occupy that spot.

I think you did well avoiding the collision, sometimes it's better to swerve and go around rather than to hit your brakes. It's a split second decision you have to make which will be the difference between crashing and not.

The only thing that would have been nice was to use your horn. Let them know that they messed up. Otherwise, there is nothing learned from that driver. Just the other day from work, I almost got wiped out three separate times, like WTF? I used my horn everytime and trust me, they heard me. I didn't even have to use my brakes each time because fortunately, I read the upcoming scenarios as "what ifs" and had my execution planned, having the horn covered was the first stage and the only execution needed. SEE - Search, Evaluate, Execute!

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Glad you came out OK Numpty. Commuting every day, I see my fair share of dumb sh*t happening but mostly manage to avoid it. Filtering is risky at the best of times.

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you are ok!

I don't regularly ride in heavy traffic but still come across pleanty of cars that aren't paying attention. Why can't people just pay attention????

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, all these off's and near-misses... It's getting damn scary out there.

Glad you're OK Numpty, great vision and reaction time... :thumbup:

Why can't people just pay attention????

Ahh, wouldn't that be a perfect world. We can dream, but as long as people view their cage's as more important then bikes, we just have to keep our eyes peeled and our senses alert.

:)

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I too am glad to hear of your escape. It's a great day when you can ride your bike home without a near miss, but as they say a miss is as good as a mile.:thumbup:
Glad you are ok!

I don't regularly ride in heavy traffic but still come across pleanty of cars that aren't paying attention. Why can't people just pay attention????

Because there are far more interesting things inside or above the car or even out in a paddock than immediately around the car. For example, the cow chewing a mouthful of grass is way more interesting than that guy on the motorbike coming down the main road. Of course if you haul out in front of the bike and he falls off then he becomes a lot more interesting:spank:.

I think they should make attention span tests and distraction response tests part of the licensing tests:thumbup:.

Stay safe everyone:thumbup:.

Cheers
Mike

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice save...
I try the same tactic of trying not to retaliate...
The other say some dummy actually completely blew a red light... She stopped at the next nearly 6" from my right foot...

How to hold it in???

We are GLADIATOR!!!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Had a close call yesterday.

Must have been something in the London air yesterday as just read Doorag's first off.

Heading into London with Jim (Toolkit) when we came upto queueing traffic leading into the Blackwall tunnel,started to filter and did so for a mile or so when a break appeared in the right hand lane so I joined it started to pick up speed (25mph)when a numb nut in a suv (without any mirrors I guess) PULLED OUT into my path :jawdrop: :spank: I had a split second to react and luckily there was enough room for a quick right and a left around him/her to come out unscathed.:steve:

Funny thing is I didnt react to the numb nuts actions,no hand jesters nothing just carried on my merry way.Was not till we stopped half hour later that Jim said how close I was to being knocked off. :eek:

So guys and girls please keep your wits about you especially when filtering in queueing traffic.

Gaz
I am very pleased to hear that you are not eating the NHS's finest range.
Take care mate.

Nelly

PS It's actually a very good job (for the SUV driver) that you stayed calm lol.