• no

Votes: 144 89.4%

• Total voters

bikerider

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not there yet. live in north Texas and there is realy no road to lean that far. Hopefully a track day will do it.:rockon:

W

wrightme43

I hope to be able to judge my entry speed well enough to need to one day after some track days and a superbike school or a total control class or 4

Last edited by a moderator:

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
On the street, there is no reason to hang-off and drag a knee, until one starts dragging hardware.... nowhere near that.

mattcouch

Reaction score
Visit site
Truly drug knee twice:

1. GA HWY 136 (Talking Rock to Dahlonega)

2. US 129 Dragon's Tail

Both were kinda scary, given I'm used to getting toe and knee on a Triumph Speed 4.....you have to lean in a little bit harder on the FZ6. :thumbup:

Erik

Reaction score
Visit site
Working on peg first. I am going to the Dragons Tail next weekend but thats not the place to push it.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Working on peg first. I am going to the Dragons Tail next weekend but thats not the place to push it.
Hi Mate,
If you get your peg down you have gone further than you need to to get your knee down. On that note, knee down on my last bike no problem. I have not found the correct body position and confidence yet on my FZ6.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Working on peg first.

Peg or peg feeler? I do everything I can to NOT drag anything. Dragging metal and plastic can only slow you down and/or cause you to crash. Draggin pegs suck...not to mention, the sidestand (hard part!) drags with the left peg which is very bad!

So why are you "working on" this again?
________
The View Condo Pattaya

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

And another note, if you have saddle bags on, you will drag alot sooner. I dragged hard on the left a few turns before the overlook. I was just going to fast with saddlebags on. Its a blast but dont be like me. Ride aggresive after you take the bags off. LOL

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And another note, if you have saddle bags on, you will drag alot sooner. I dragged hard on the left a few turns before the overlook. I was just going to fast with saddlebags on. Its a blast but dont be like me. Ride aggresive after you take the bags off. LOL
Thats funny mate. My wife actually got her knee down before me. she was on the back and I went into a roundabout a bit hot. Next thing I know she's banging me on the head. I pulled over to find out what the problem was, and she said her knee was dragging. I was gutted as up to that point I could never get my knee down lol.

martin_nj

Reaction score
Visit site
draggin' knees is a bit of a no-no on the street...

you should never be pushing it that hard =P

it also slows you down...
from what i know racers only use their knees to gauge how far over they are since you're looking through the turn to the next apex you can't look down and check your lean angle...

as someone said above draggin anything = slowing yourself down

Erik

Reaction score
Visit site
Well i dont drag anything atm, but I ride with a group of guys, I really should say follow cause i dont keep up at all. The good ones have all ground there peg feelers and shoes and i never see them drop a knee so i just guessed you had to hit peg first before you needed to push with your knee. Now this could be because they ride different bikes. They all have sport bikes like GSXR and CBR's with lower center of gravity than a FZ6.

Which set me up for my next question. None of them race or anything but I have always heard thats the reason for using the puck and knee is to push yourself up on the bike. Anyone else hear this or is there another real reason for it?

Ive only been riding for about 2 months now so I am new to all of this

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well i dont drag anything atm, but I ride with a group of guys, I really should say follow cause i dont keep up at all. The good ones have all ground there peg feelers and shoes and i never see them drop a knee so i just guessed you had to hit peg first before you needed to push with your knee. Now this could be because they ride different bikes. They all have sport bikes like GSXR and CBR's with lower center of gravity than a FZ6.

Which set me up for my next question. None of them race or anything but I have always heard thats the reason for using the puck and knee is to push yourself up on the bike. Anyone else hear this or is there another real reason for it?
Ah another urban legend....... How do you think you are going to push a 400lb bike up with you knee. Even with the aid of centrifugal force. You had it right in the first instance. The knee is used as a guide to guage the amount of lean.

Erik

Reaction score
Visit site
Ah another urban legend....... How do you think you are going to push a 400lb bike up with you knee. Even with the aid of centrifugal force. You had it right in the first instance. The knee is used as a guide to guage the amount of lean.

Ya I kinda wondered the same thing, a gauge would make seem more reasonable to me. I know when I am taking turns I am glued to looking threw it. I cant take my eyes off it for anything.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The good ones have all ground there peg feelers and shoes and i never see them drop a knee so i just guessed you had to hit peg first before you needed to push with your knee.

None of them race or anything but I have always heard thats the reason for using the puck and knee is to push yourself up on the bike.

It sounds like your friends are not as good as you think.

On an all out SS bike you need to be well into the knee draggin lean area before a peg/shoe touches down. If you're draggin pegs/shoes/etc. and not a knee, as I think was mentioned before, your body position sucks and you're leaning the bike much farther than you need to for your speed.

I've heard racers say they will push on the ground with their knee to correct the bike when their tires start to slide, but that's some crazy advanced racer only type stuff.....for the rest of us, our knee really just gets dragged cause it's there, and yes, a lot of people like to use it as a lean angle guide.

Another thing is, people put way to much focus on the knee. Correct positioning requires the use of the entire body to limit lean. In one of the pictures I've got on the first page of this thread, my upper body is higher than it idealy should be and my peg/knee are on the ground as a result. I'm not sure if I was just being lazy, or dealing with changing traffic (track) situations, or what, but to the trained eye, it's not the best form.
________
Hurt from avandia

Last edited:
S

sportrider

. I'm not sure if I was just being lazy, or dealing with changing traffic (track) situations, or what, but to the trained eye, it's not the best form.

maybe so but to the untrained eye thats a SICK picture!!!:rockon:

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
as usual defy steps in and straightens it out, listen to him people. oh and i have held myself up from a front end tuck with my knee more times than i like to think about. its no big deal, especially if you've hit some not so great traction spot or something. and yeah i hang way off, even to the detriment of my upper body and lean clearance perhaps. i cannot figure out a way to not do it so much but to no avail. there is no right body position IMO, only what works...or thats what i tell myself. as well sometimes i dont get off at the top all the way because i need to be able to see over a small hill, around the corner, the fear of the approaching concrete wall, etc...
dragging a knee is very needed. i know people who would always talk about those who hang off just to get their knee down. these guys would lean to the edge of the front and still not touch a knee...guess what? they dont ride anymore cause of all their crashes...from.....tucking the front. so if you're within a 1/4" of the fronts edge and not touching a knee....you need to figure out why and correct it...imo

Last edited: