First 'off'

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
First 'off' - Now with pics

I had a spectacular off right in the middle of the Trafalgar Square roundabout this morning. :eek:

Some taxi driver ran a red light and came into the roundabout. Thankfully, I had just left a light and was only going about 10 mph but was under acceleration when I had to do an emergency stop. The rear wheel came off the ground and the back of the bike swung around and I dropped it. Thankfully I have crash bobbins and they and my rear box seem to have taken the damage. I can't find a scratch anywhere else.

I went off the side and rolled out into the road. :eek::eek: No damage done - I crash much harder than that when I ride off-road, but I consider myself lucky that I didn't get run over by a car behind me.

I went mad at the driver, threw my helmet at his van and then set upon bashing in the driver's side window. The poor lady in the back was probably scared to death.

Anyway, I'm OK and the bike seems fine, but I've had a headache all day. May go to the Dr. tomorrow just in case.

EDIT - Here's my helmet.
3314812482_edebc58fa0.jpg

The right side as it is supposed to look.
3314812110_25e9dfd47d.jpg

The left side as it looks now.
3313987645_4b61eacabf.jpg

And just for interest here's the 'helmet' my friends made me for my 40th birthday party that I had to wear all night around the pub.
3314811412_85e3fdbdef.jpg

3313986531_d62dc1ca5f.jpg

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

Did it hurt your helmet???

Glad your ok, stupid idiot drivers.

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Good thing you are OK. Just be careful about throwing your helmet and bashing peoples cars. I know you were mad and all, but you never know what maniac is siting behind that cage. But am glad everything turned out OK.
Ride safe brother.:thumbup:

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad it wasn't any worse. Hope you're OK and the headache subsides. You can treat every driver like an idiot but you can't prepare for everything - as this situation shows. I've damaged a couple of cars with my fist and boot before now when someone has done something similar. There's nothing clever about getting angry in the heat of the moment but sometimes you just can't help it. I hope you stoved the f*ckwits window in.

I hope your helmet survived and you get back in the saddle ASAP. The tube is just too miserable to contemplate.

:thumbup: and have couple of :iconbeer: tonight

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Glad you're okay! I hope the guy was really apologetic and you should have gotten information before smashing windows in case there were scratches or damage that you couldn't see in the dark...unless it was light out. Then I see where you're coming from. I'd be right mad too! But I dunno about smashing a window in...a few dents here and there are just fine

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Dang man, glad you and the bike are ok. But the poor helmet :(

If his helmet touched the ground when he went down it would have been scrap anyway.. Never assume that a crashed helmet is still ok, even if it just has a few scratches on the surface.

I'm glad you and the bike are ok :thumbup:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy cow dude:eek:. Glad you made it out OK:thumbup:. The worst part for me would've been waiting for his cage driving team mates to run you over once they got you off the bike:eek::spank:. Some times I think a little agro is a good thing:rockon:. It might stick in the dumb f#$%ers mind better that way:D.

Ride safe mate.:thumbup:

Cheers
Mike

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Thanks everybody. The headache is gone now and I'm fine save for a bruise on my hip.

The helmet is toast. I don't remember hitting my head in the fall, but I definitely damaged it at some point. I didn't notice the damage at the time so I wore it to work (about a mile) and then wore it home cuz I didn't have any other option. I'm getting a new one tomorrow. (At least there's some silver lining)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice! I love the idea of beating the car with the helmet. LOL!!!! I'm glad you are okay Dave. :thumbup:

I kicked a car in Bagdad once, then butt stroked it with my M4. The driver sh*t his pants and the guys on patrol busted up laughing.

Be careful!

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Doorag. Cheer yourself up by watching someone else throw his helmet through his own car window! Mind you his car did break down 700 metres before the finish line. If he'd crossed it he would have been World Rally Champion

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd_gj-3kz7A"]YouTube - Avería de Carlos Sainz - Rally Inglaterra 98[/ame]

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow David, sorry to hear about your off. Very glad to hear that you only got a bruise and that your bike is okay.

I am laughing though at the thought of the cab driver messing up his pants because you're beating his car.

Travis

Mike_Honcho

Reaction score
Visit site
For the record, the fact that you bashed his window in is bad ass! Glad to hear your all in one piece. The pub helmet is really funny too.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Wow David, sorry to hear about your off. Very glad to hear that you only got a bruise and that your bike is okay.

I am laughing though at the thought of the cab driver messing up his pants because you're beating his car.

Travis

The funniest thing was the passenger in the back of the van. She was really freaked. Think about it - her driver seemingly hit a biker then the biker gets up with a wild-eyed, adrenaline fuelled manic look. She may never take a taxi again.