lookin' for some owners thoughts

martin_nj

Reaction score
Visit site
so here's a blurb from some mag :

Six-foot-plus in his Alpinestars, McComas felt “instantly comfortable” on the Yamaha FZ6, one of two inline-Fours (the other being the Honda 599, reintroduced to the U.S. market this year with an inverted fork and a restyled instrument cluster) and far and away the quickest, fastest, most powerful bike here. The FZ also has a comfortable seat (with the second-tallest height), a broad, protective half-fairing and feels most like a full-size motorcycle.

“If I were going to buy one of these bikes, my choice would probably be the Yamaha,” said Mike Monticello, Feature Editor at our sister publication Road & Track and owner of a Honda CBR900RR and a street-legal KTM 300 E/XC. “My fiancé loves to ride on the back of any motorcycle, and the FZ6's strong engine and excellent suspension make it the most suitable for two-up travel.”
Click for larger image in gallery

Conner agreed. “The FZ6 is without a doubt the most versatile bike here. It's a great commuter, a weekend canyon carver and even a decent sport-tourer. The upright riding position and wind protection make this bike the choice for highway stints and longer durations in the saddle. Seat height, however, could be a bit much for shorter, less-experienced riders.”

On the downside, the fuel-injected engine is buzzy to the point of being annoying, and the powerband, with its 13,000-rpm-plus redline, is a bit peaky for the likely intended buyer. The biggest letdown, though, is glitchy off/on throttle response. “Just when you want the engine to respond smoothest—settling the chassis on corner entry after releasing the brakes—the power comes in abruptly,” Hoyer noted. Clutch action and feel, however, are as good as the silky-shifting transmission.

what do you guys have to say about the points that the reviewer makes?

i plan to ride 2 up fairly often, can you post your experiences? (size of passenger & your size would be helpful)

how's the buzzyness in your opinions?

W

wrightme43

Martin welcome and I am glad you are here. I would reccomend that you start by reading some of the posts that are already here. All of your questions have been asked and answered many times. I hope you understand.
Then it is usually a good idea to get to know some of us, and then ask questions. I know I am not here to sell you on the idea of getting a FZ. I love mine, and most of the others here love thiers. I am sure I would love a SV650 and I am sure I would love the speed triple.
I will say this. Most magazines say the exact same thing the other magazines say true or not.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I've done 500 miles days with my girlfriend on the back and she was fine, tired, but fine and had fun. She's 5'3" and 125lbs....she's also kinda a tough chick, so....

I'm 6'3" ~175lbs and have ridden the bike fully loaded...overloaded actually....with great success. People do long cross country trips on their FZ6 all the time.

This forum has a SEARCH function which I'm sure you'll find helpful.

EDIT - what other bikes are you used to? Have you owned any/many in the past?
________
GLASS WEED PIPE

Last edited:
S

sportrider

"six in the city" I've read that article too many times to count!!! I love my FZ6, bang for the buck there is nothing better!!! read up on it, read the forum, research it if its the right bike for you you'll know it.

by the way Welcome Aboard!!!:Sport:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6'5" and haven't found a bike I'm more comfortable on yet (although I've just been sitting on them, not driving). The exception were those 250cc's they put you on for the MSF course, I was not able to drive them very well and couldn't make sharp, slow turns as my knees kept hitting the handlebars.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The keyword for the FZ6 as mentioned from your article, "versatile." You have power, comfort (upright riding position) and sportlike look, and affordable. As Wrightme43 mentioned, all of your questions have been probably answered somewhere in this forum, including how much you should be paying for the bike as well. Make sure you check out the threads on how much we all spent on our bikes, so you don't get ripped off from the stealership. Surprisingly, we've had a variable as much as $4,000 from low to high, granted not all states are equal when it comes to taxes and other costs. By the way, welcome aboard.

martin_nj

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6'5" and haven't found a bike I'm more comfortable on yet (although I've just been sitting on them, not driving). The exception were those 250cc's they put you on for the MSF course, I was not able to drive them very well and couldn't make sharp, slow turns as my knees kept hitting the handlebars.

try a bmw or a ktm....

the bmw's are esp kind to taller folks

martin_nj

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done 500 miles days with my girlfriend on the back and she was fine, tired, but fine and had fun. She's 5'3" and 125lbs....she's also kinda a tough chick, so....

I'm 6'3" ~175lbs and have ridden the bike fully loaded...overloaded actually....with great success. People do long cross country trips on their FZ6 all the time.

This forum has a SEARCH function which I'm sure you'll find helpful.

EDIT - what other bikes are you used to? Have you owned any/many in the past?

awesome thank you for that reply, my gf is about the same a little heavier i think ;)

i've had a 1988 fzr400 and a 96 yzf600

martin_nj

Reaction score
Visit site
Martin welcome and I am glad you are here. I would reccomend that you start by reading some of the posts that are already here. All of your questions have been asked and answered many times. I hope you understand.
Then it is usually a good idea to get to know some of us, and then ask questions. I know I am not here to sell you on the idea of getting a FZ. I love mine, and most of the others here love thiers. I am sure I would love a SV650 and I am sure I would love the speed triple.
I will say this. Most magazines say the exact same thing the other magazines say true or not.

thanks for the welcome!
sorry i didn't search :p

what do you mean about the mags saying same things?

if one mag says the SV is good the others will too?

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
try a bmw or a ktm....

the bmw's are esp kind to taller folks
I've sat on a KTM (Bike of the Year according to one recent mag) but I think the FZ is more comfortable (and mine's paid for now!)

Haven't sat on a BMW, but I've had several friends tell me they were constantly in the shop. Can anyone confirm/deny this?*

*Not that it matters, I LOVE my FZ and won't be looking elsewhere for a Looong time!