2008 FZ6 - anyone have one yet? any reviews? - also buying advice please!

martin_nj

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone!

I'm new here, first post and all =]

I'm buying a bike early 2008 and have it down to the following

SV650
FZ6
Street Triple

What are your thoughts?

The SV is cheapest, and most widely loved by reviewers.
The FZ is middle of the pack pricing, and not that well reviewed (but Yamaha keeps improving it every year)
The STriple is the most expensive and will blow the doors off all of these bikes in looks and in performance...But is the most expensive. =[

I'm particularly excited about the 08 FZ6 because of the new black paint and hte new FZ1 cluster...

My first bike was an 88 Yamaha FZR400 and I loved the high rev nature of that bike but it wasn't practical for my city usage.

Thoughts? :thumbup:

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone!

I'm new here, first post and all =]

I'm buying a bike early 2008 and have it down to the following

SV650
FZ6
Street Triple

What are your thoughts?

The SV is cheapest, and most widely loved by reviewers.
The FZ is middle of the pack pricing, and not that well reviewed (but Yamaha keeps improving it every year)
HThe STriple is the most expensive and will blow the doors off all of these bikes in looks and in performance...But is the most expensive. =[

I'm particularly excited about the 08 FZ6 because of the new black paint and hte new FZ1 cluster...

My first bike was an 88 Yamaha FZR400 and I loved the high rev nature of that bike but it wasn't practical for my city usage.

Thoughts? :thumbup:

Hi mate and welcome ...

Is there a new cluster ?? It changed on the 2007 model but has it changed again ?

I thought it was only the colour change for the FZ6 in 08 ... I'm probably wrong :)

Oh ...in answer to my thoughts .... buy the FZ6 !!! I'm sure with a few tweaks here and there its as much fun although the street triple looks awsome lol :thumbup:

Last edited:

strike_force

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi and welcome aboard !!!

The street triple will blow the doors cause it is 1050 with 132 hp. Try to put it next to the FZ1 :D I think you can imagine the result. The fz6 is diffrent category. Propably a test ride can straigten things out for you, but I'd go for the fz6 any time (it's faster). Don't choose a bike because it is cheep, what you pay is what you get! Then again it's just me :)

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
The only change was the color.....everything else is the same.

I love this bike .... just finished a 4 day trip within in the mountians and loved it. several 300 mile days...very comfy and FAST as I can take.

penguinbiker8

stuntin like my daddy
Reaction score
Visit site
this is just my opinion, but the sv650 is lame. aint nobody got nothin on an FZ baby. its perfect for every type of riding and its good at it. i say get the black Fz:Flash:

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi and welcome aboard !!!

The street triple will blow the doors cause it is 1050 with 132 hp. Try to put it next to the FZ1 :D I think you can imagine the result.

Thats the Speed Triple, the Street Triple is a naked Daytona 675 with a detuned motor. They look very similar.

Anyway...

The 2008 FZ6 just has different colour options from the 2007

It depends on what you want the bike for.

The FZ6 is a good cheap general purpose bike.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats the Speed Triple, the Street Triple is a naked Daytona 675 with a detuned motor.

If this is the bike he's talking it about, it sure as heck won't blow the FZ6 away when it comes to go fast performance. It might have a slightly more powerful engine but the suspension and brakes are bargin bin.

The FZ6 is a good cheap general purpose bike.

I prefer, inexpensive do-it-all bike. :thumbup:
________
Live Sex

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

Swiss army knife of motorcycling.

Or "I will cut you, hippy!!" bike.

martin_nj

Reaction score
Visit site
080307middle.jpg

08FZ6_blk_1_483cbe4a.jpg

DSCF0183.jpg

the STriple is 1000 more than the FZ6....

you're right about the changes the new cluster came in 07 - sry =[

FZ6 Dry Weight 410 lb
Street Triple Dry Weight - 368 lb

Street Triple - 107hp @ 11700rpm / 51ft-lb @ 9100
FZ6 - 90.5hp @ 11,800 rpm / "43 lb-ft at 8,500-9,000"

Does anyone have better numbers on the FZ6? Those are from '04 =\

**EDIT** from 2006 -
Power: 96.55 HP (70.5 kW)) @ 12000 RPM
Torque: 63.10 Nm (6.4 kgf-m or 46.5 ft.lbs) @ 6400 RPM

So yah the 675 is a much faster bike but to be fair its brand new =P

I need a bike for a 10mile commute mixed fast city traffic.
it also needs to be comfy for long weekend trips
and needs to be good for 2up riding.

i love the centerstand on teh fz6 and i love that its 1000 less than the triumph

i love the looks of the triumph and i love the pure performance of it. it really is the best naked bike you can get currently.

grrrrr i don't knows whats to gets =P
as you can see from my signature i'm a bit of a yamaha fan too

Last edited:

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Quoted by MCN here in UK...

Street Triple...

Top speed 141mph
1/4-mile acceleration 11.93 secs
Power 97.6bhp
Torque 47ftlb
Weight 167kg
Seat height 800mm
Fuel capacity 17.4 litres
Average fuel consumption 38mpg
Tank range 145 miles

Original FZ6...

Top speed 141mph
1/4-mile acceleration 11.6 secs
Power 90bhp
Torque 42ftlb
Weight 186kg
Seat height 795mm
Fuel capacity 19.4 litres
Average fuel consumption 42mpg
Tank range 180 miles

I don't expect the S2 is any better performance wise than the original I have no reference for that. The brakes are better than the Triple on the S2.

Styling is of course in the eyes of the be-holder and the Triple is and looks like a parts bin exercise. In the UK most of the nice parts are extras on the Triple, like the fly-screen, belly-pan, Moto-GP style exhaust.

Triumph don't have a very good rep for reliability, a Daytona 675 broke down on a road test for a big magazine here.

I did 20,000 miles in a year on a Yamaha and they have always impressed. I'm sure others have done better.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Man, that STriple looks sick! I can see why you're having such a hard time.

Definitly has a larger and more powerful engine (better than I thought) but lacks the adjustable suspension to really put that advantage it to use in the twisties (suspension on par with the FZ6). FWIW, without a centerstand or fairing the 2008 FZ6 will dip below 400lbs...but it's no 368!

Honestly it sounds like you're looking for a smaller sport touring type of bike like the FZ6 as opposed to a naked street fighter like the STriple. Have you considered the Tiger at all? It's more expensive but will do everything you're looking for a little better than the FZ6.
________
AVANDIA LAWSUIT INFO

Last edited:

martin_nj

Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly it sounds like you're looking for a smaller sport touring type of bike like the FZ6 as opposed to a naked street fighter like the STriple. Have you considered the Tiger at all? It's more expensive but will do everything you're looking for a little better than the FZ6.

that is very interesting no one (on either the triumph forums or these has suggested that bike)

unfortunately price ( $10,699 MSRP, ABS $11,499 MSRP) is too too much for me.

also since i'm not yet 25 i'd rather keep it under 1000cc for insurance reasons...

but the MPG looks a lot better on the FZ6...
yet for 2up riding the torque on the STriple will be more useful than the higher power up top of the FZ6....

such a tough decisions =[

for 8 i can get a stock triumph
for 7 i can get a stock fz6
for 8 i can get a modded fz6...

what to pick!!?? lawl i wish life was always this hard =]

martin_nj

Reaction score
Visit site
Quoted by MCN here in UK...

Street Triple...

Top speed 141mph
1/4-mile acceleration 11.93 secs
Power 97.6bhp
Torque 47ftlb
Weight 167kg
Seat height 800mm
Fuel capacity 17.4 litres
Average fuel consumption 38mpg
Tank range 145 miles

Original FZ6...

Top speed 141mph
1/4-mile acceleration 11.6 secs
Power 90bhp
Torque 42ftlb
Weight 186kg
Seat height 795mm
Fuel capacity 19.4 litres
Average fuel consumption 42mpg
Tank range 180 miles

this is also from MCN....but from the triumph forum...they have different numbers can anyone double check this?

strip.png

i added those last 2 columns

look at those roll on numbers - the triumph murders =P

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Who the hell hits it at 40MPH in 6th??? Talk about lugging your engine. The bike will do 60+ in first gear. I'm used to seeing 60 to 80 or 60 to 100 roll-on numbers. Eh...

Well, I certainly commend you for doing your homework.

What mods would you plan on spending $1,000 on?
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA SEEDS

Last edited:

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Read a few reviews on the Street Triple .... WOW :eek:

No one has given this a bad write up .. .. It seems all and sundry are raving about it .... Apparently if you like wheelies you'll never get off it !!

This was the conclusion after testing it against the Daytona 675... FAST BIKES NOVEMBER 2007 ISSUE UK

Now we can answer which bike is the best for fast road naughtiness, and we've also learned loads about how the Street Triple is likely to stack up against its class peers when the group test comes around.
As a toy, the street triple rules, and kicks the 675s sorry arse. It excites in all sorts of ways, and most of all by encouraging you to act the fool more than ever.
Beyond that, as a fast road bike the street battles harder with its sports sibling than anything else from this class ever. What it lacks in outright Isle of Man crazy pace is offset by the Daytona's single-mindedness and lack of concessions to the 'real world'
Neither is the perfect, do it all tool with the flexibility to monster the A-roads, race circuits, tour, and stunt like a GSXR 1000. What amazed us is that over a mix of quick road riding and dicking about, the street triple was always the bike we'd rather be riding.
Sure the daytona's faster of the two 675s, and it will pull away on an open enough road, but we were astonished to find that we'd always rather be chasing and having more fun on a street trip'.
Of course, all of this makes it the firm favourite when we get the naked middleweight class together.
Against our launch experiences of the other bikes, we fully expect the street triple to be the sportiest and most entertaining too, with a great balance of practicality. I can't see anything getting near it in the class, it's too well rounded.
It'll make a great first bike, teach you to wheelie, guide you through your first track day, and entertain you endlessly. Words cannot do justice to how much fun we had on the test. We were gutted when the sun went down.
The Street triple stands to become a cult hero.......

It sounds awsome :)

martin_nj

Reaction score
Visit site
Who the hell hits it at 40MPH in 6th??? Talk about lugging your engine. The bike will do 60+ in first gear. I'm used to seeing 60 to 80 or 60 to 100 roll-on numbers. Eh...

Well, I certainly commend you for doing your homework.

What mods would you plan on spending $1,000 on?

well i wouldn't say its the most representative of real life test but if you could only do 1 test and infer the most about a bike from it that one is useful no? tells you what the engine is capable of given the worst gearing, tells you who's sixth gear is shortest heheh, gives you an idea of what to expect in the correct gear as well...

some homework now is worth it =] keeps me focused on saving up for the bike

=========

re the mods -

belly pan
exhaust
gps unit
saddle bags
comfy grips/bar-end weights
hmmm tires?