Renting a Bike in California?

Pondrat

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone gone on a motorbike tour in Cali on a rented bike? If so, where did you get it and do you recommend it? For anyone, what was the best tour you've gone on in Cali? We are looking to do a combination of twisty sea-side roads, mountains roads, camping, and hiking.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the help!

ironman

Reaction score
Visit site
haven't been personally, but Edelweiss (sp?) tours are supposed to be really nice. It's a swiss company, I think, but they do tours all over the world. There area a couple in Cali. Google them and check out the site. They are quite pricey, but you get to choose from several nice bikes that are tour outfitted already, and there reputation is outstanding for providing luxury motorcycle tours.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Renting should be no problem in most large cities. To help answer your question, when are you planning to come out here? What city are you flying in to? What kind of bike(ie Goldwing, sport tour or Harley)?
Ca is a very big state and has it all so how much time (and $$) do you have?
The wife and I flew to Phoenix a couple years back and rented a Wing for 5 days-had a blast.

Pondrat

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ironman, those Edelweiss trips look fantastic, especially the Southern Cali one (which also goes through Vegas and Arizona) and the Baja one. We would follow those routes, but not stay in the hotels.

Cali Rider: thanks! That site is perfect...

Red Wazp: My girlfriend and I are coming out April 10th-18th (ish). We were hoping to do 4-5days riding and 3-4 days hiking/camping/beaching. We were originally thinking of flying into San Francisco, but I think her need for warmer water will necessitate San Diego or Las Vegas (which is where the Edelweiss route starts, and a great idea I think!). We were looking to get a sport touring bike like a Honda ST1100 or FJR or R1200RT. We have some cash to spend on fun stuff, but we are low maintenence folks, just happy (if not happier) in a tent as a hotel. At least one night in a nice hotel/spa would be a great treat for both of us.

Where did you go in Arizona?

Thanks again to everyone - I love this forum!

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
We rode the northern half of Az. which has forests, the big ditch and cooler temps. Even popped into New Mexico along the border of Az..
Good call to stay south in April, the weather could still be a bit dicey up here in the northern half.
If you can swing over to Death Valley (awesome place to visit but also it a huge park) should only be in the 80-90's then but it's a dry heat, ride up hwy 395 and cut over to hwy 190 into the park, this is the most fun way in. Scotty's Castle is nice to visit at the north end then back track down over to Red Rock canyon (hiking)near Vegas. You are close to Hoover Dam (did a tour 20 years ago-worth the time) and then back to the coast.
Or just stay on the coast for camping etc. Just be prepared for fog, it may happen.

Which ever bike you rent (partial to the FJR for fun!) rent a bike with a top case for storage and pillion comfort.

MikeSpeed

Reaction score
Visit site
San Diego is a good decision.:thumbup: I’ve lived here all my life and love it. If you have the time PCH (pacific coast highway) is a fun cruise. However I have to say my favorite part of the California coast line from a touring standpoint would have to be between Monterey, and Santa Barbara. If you’re looking to stay closer to San Diego, Palomar Mountain is a local favorite, as is Julian.

I live in the north part of the county, and I don’t really get south of Downtown SD very often. Whenever I go out for a joyride I tend to stay to the north. Here’s a little loop I just put together. This goes passed some of my favorite parts of San Diego.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...090966,-117.000961&spn=0.357244,0.725098&z=11

From what I understand, the 94 from Downtown SD passed Jamul all the way out to where it hits the 8 and then out to Ocotillo then north up the Great Southern Overland Stage Rd, back up to the 78 is supposed to be a good ride as well.

For a bike rental there’s only a few places that I know of that you can rent a sport bike. http://www.sportbikerental.com/ for example.
From what I’ve seen the Harleys are less expensive. Someplace like http://www.biggsh-d.com/custompage2.asp?pg=rentals I’ve been quoted $70 on a week day for a Sportster 883

Anyway, I’m sure you will enjoy your trip wherever you go, but I thought id toss my 2cents in. ;)